Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• Options
    Kp career over
  • Options
    KP's a tosser. Good riddance.
  • Options
    You simply cannot rebuild a team with KP in it. He polarizes opinion everywhere including in the England dressing room.

It's widely accepted that we have to take a few steps backwards and suffer defeats along the way but the opportunity is there for a new "team" of young players to grow together.
  • Options

You simply cannot rebuild a team with KP in it. He polarizes opinion everywhere including in the England dressing room.

It's widely accepted that we have to take a few steps backwards and suffer defeats along the way but the opportunity is there for a new "team" of young players to grow together.

How young would you go AA?
  • Options
    The most surprising thing here is that KP kept his mouth shut and didn't get on twitter, apparently he was informed yesterday.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

There has to be a blend. Cook, Bell, Broad and Anderson are given.

Root (23), Stokes (22), Buttler (23), Jordan (25), Finn (24) (assuming he sorts out the "yips") have all shown, at times, that they can cut it at International level in at least one form of the game.

Ballance (24), Borthwick (23), Robson (24) plus Rayner (albeit 28 has had a career littered with injury but is potentially the best spinner around) should all be given a chance.

In addition, the door should be left open for any 19 or 20 year old who is showing promise (and with the right temperament and attitude) to be rewarded early. Playing county cricket in its current state won't improve that player but competing on the biggest stage just might.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Root (23), Stokes (22), Buttler (23), Jordan (25), Finn (24) (assuming he sorts out the "yips") have all shown, at times, that they can cut it at International level in at least one form of the game.

Ballance (24), Borthwick (23), Robson (24) plus Rayner (albeit 28 has had a career littered with injury but is potentially the best spinner around) should all be given a chance.

In addition, the door should be left open for any 19 or 20 year old who is showing promise (and with the right temperament and attitude) to be rewarded early. Playing county cricket in its current state won't improve that player but competing on the biggest stage just might.
    So not as low as 10 then?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

So not as low as 10 then?
    Young AA's time will come and before the age of 25 I wager. Well that's what the bet already struck says ;-)

• Options
    lolwray said:

Moody would be a better choice than Giles ...anyone else ?

Agreed.

Would like Gary Kirsten but don't think he'd take it.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Face fitting exercise.Who really is the fly in the ointment? Will it get back to old school ties? If it does we will be looking forward to Zimbabwe and Bangladesh!
    Panesar not bowling,Swann taking his ball home with him,Trott gone over the edge,surely cant be all Petersons work????
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Stupid decision!
  • Options
    Kirsten quit his last job because of too much travel and time away from his family. England play the most cricket and the most away too. So expect him to be appointed very soon......
  • Options
    Shame. Best England batsman i have ever seen play.
    However, time to move on methinks.
    Lets hope Cook resigns the captaincy now too - i wont hold my breath.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Kirsten quit his last job because of too much travel and time away from his family. England play the most cricket and the most away too.

Yeah, that's why I said I didn't think he'd take it!

I really don't think it should be Giles, fresh broom, fresh ideas needed.
  • Options
    Cook needs to get back batting.Giles should just do one.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Kirsten quit his last job because of too much travel and time away from his family. England play the most cricket and the most away too.

But you didn't.
  • Options
    Painful decision, we can only hope its the right call.

If England are smart they will bring in two new batsman against SL and India so as to avoid some poor bastard being labelled as KP's "replacement" - a burden nobody needs.

Problem is that if England's batting folds against India then you just know that the calls for KP to return will begin - especially with the World Cup and home Ashes looming.
  • Options
    Gutted about this as I'm going to the ODI\T20 series in the Caribbean and was looking forward to seeing KP
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Kirsten quit his last job because of too much travel and time away from his family. England play the most cricket and the most away too. So expect him to be appointed very soon......

i've had the misfortune to have a 'chat' with Kirsten for about 30 mins - biggest up his own arse i've ever met - even more so than KP.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

But you didn't.
    Did too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Please let me put the record straight on Kevin Peitersen once and for all.

Listen to him; Q: What makes him tick (according to his public voice)?
    A: Playing for England.

Q: What in particular when playing for England?
    A: Playing Test Cricket.

Q: Playing Test Cricket for England is your number one thing?
    A: Yes, and especially playing against Australia. That is the ultimate challenge and one I have been pretty successful in.

Have you Kev? Have you really?

Well The Cricketer Magazine did a feature in their January issue this year which named the 50 most influential Ashes cricketers. Not just based on averages but things like runs scored in WINS and runs scored in 1st innings rather than 2nd innings in dead Tests. And runs scored in live Tests and not in dead rubbers. The same with bowling, wickets that counted towards a win, not picking up some cheap tailenders in a losing cause.

I don't think anyone will be surprised to learn that Shane Warne was number 1 and The Don number 2 and Beefy 3. All the greats were there, Boycott, Gooch, Gower, Lillee, Chapplle, Thommo, Miller, both Waughs, Ponting, Border, Hobbs, McGrath, Willis, Larwood etc etc.

Where do you think KP came in that top 50 of the most effective Ashes cricketers?

Now have another go!
  • Options
    Thanks for the memories KP.what a ridiculous decision by Paul Downtown( worse wicketkeeper ever to play for England) and his cronies.good luck finding a good replacement because it ain't going to happen.if Pietersen has been sacked and blamed for the ashes debacle then hopefully James Anderson will be next because he was awful.will that happen.Like fuck it will.I can see a Sri Lanka and India double this summer.good luck KP.

• Options
    Really not sure what to make of this.

On one hand I find it really hard to understand how we have just sacked our best batsman. You'd think that it is managerial failings that can't manage a maverick like him and this is the real issue at hand.

However, test cricket, what with its long tours cooped up in dressing rooms and hotels is arguably the worst sporting environment where there is a real lack of team spirit. None of us know quite how decisive KP is within the dressing room, but it must be quite bad for it to come to this. The fact that he has also fallen out with Natal, Nottinghamshire, Hampshire, England previously etc etc shows that he well just be too difficult a character to have around.
  • Options
    With something as controversial as this surely the blazers at Lords could come out and say ( with the consent of some expensive lawyer)" Right,this ,this and this happened.Kevin did that,that and that.Those are the reasons he has been told so sling his hook" Then the dust can settle,instead of innuendos about dressing rooms,that are sounding more like some dodgy public school practices,followed by he is the best of the senior players in helping the new caps ???? Cant some one just tell the truth????
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    richie8 said:

With something as controversial as this surely the blazers at Lords could come out and say ( with the consent of some expensive lawyer)" Right,this ,this and this happened.Kevin did that,that and that.Those are the reasons he has been told so sling his hook" Then the dust can settle,instead of innuendos about dressing rooms,that are sounding more like some dodgy public school practices,followed by he is the best of the senior players in helping the new caps ???? Cant some one just tell the truth????

But why have a slanging match in public? They're in charge. They've seen enough of him to know whether they want him to be part of the future.
    It is highly debatable whether he is currently our best batsman (as Riviera has pointed out, actually his Ashes performances flatter to deceive) and he patently has an ego the size of a planet that makes for a difficult (to say the least) atmosphere in the dressing room.
  • Options
    Perhaps a disruptive character but who will now score the runs ?
  • Options
    Frankly they should have cut the cord when he lost the captaincy and if not then after " textgate" ...besides which his "eyes have gone" and he cant field now

• Options
    Don't need a slanging match,just a concise set of reasons as to why hes been booted out.I really doubt in any changing room of any successful team is everyone best buddies,even down to the low levels of sport Ive played.At the end of the day he is not a Brit and probably cant buy in to this modest putting our selves down attitude even when things have gone well.Ive known a few South Africans through playing sport and they aren't shy about bigging their selves up.
    Are England who are not half as good as they think they are in a position to bin a quality performer? The National team isn't far from the edge of tipping its self back to the good old days of getting humped regularly.
  • Options
    With KP in the side they just gave us the worst ever Ashes tour by an England side. Any of the established players that survive should thank their lucky stars.
  • Options

With KP in the side they just gave us the worst ever Ashes tour by an England side. Any of the established players that survive should thank their lucky stars.

I agree with this Peanuts , the trouble is, and I have written this SCORES of times .. where/who are the replacements ? .. no batsmen, few pace bowlers, no decent spinners .. we'll have to send Flower to Southern Africa to rustle up a few more mercenaries