Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes: Australia v England, 2013-14.

Comments

• Options
    Swann really is a worry; very inconsistent again and seems to lack confidence. Monty's bowled pretty well. 256-4
  • Options
    Great catch Swanny. Bailey out to Broad. 257-5.
  • Options
    From the BBC Sport site....

@Ben Hayes: Cricket on TMS while sleeping gave me some very vivid Boycott-based dreams. #surreal

I didn't even think you liked cricket Ben?
  • Options
    Broad's just wasted a review.
  • Options
    Carbs drops a dolly.
  • Options
    Bad end to the day for England with that loss of a review and dropped catch.

273-5 at close.
  • Options
    The catch Carberry put down every single one of us would have taken that. It doesnt get any easier than that.
  • Options
    Decent day for England, that pitch really was flat - although lets see how our blokes bat on it before being sure about that!

Broad was excellent, Monty decent but too many bad balls, Anderson persevered, Swann OK but not at his best and Stokes did OK.

If we can bowl them out for sub-450 we will have done well - the dropped catches could be the killer, imagine having them 270-7 with Clarke and Haddin out?
  • Options

Broad's just wasted a review.

i think i heard them say in commentary that you get given two reviews at the start of each day (with a maximum of 2) so the late wasted review was nigh on a free one

• Options
    Its two reviews per ball, so when the new ball is taken they get two more.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    aaaah so he wasted one !
  • Options
    so we could have 4 reviews if none needed with first ball ??
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    No - it's two per ball but they aren't cumulative. So we only have one more for the next 70 0vers or so.

Cook and Prior looked like they were trying to persuade Broad that it wasn't worth appealing but Broad got his way. Once the decision was made you could see Cook swearing under his breath and Broad walking back with rather an embarrassed smile on his face.
  • Options
    They HAD to take that review, a wicket then would have been game changing and it looked so, so close.

Like the Panesar LBW of Rogers earlier it was very, very close.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I think Australia are just ahead for me. A couple of wicket before lunch on day two then we can be really happy.
    Let's try to keep them below 400 .
  • Options
    We need to get Clarke and Haddin out. They have astronomical averages on this ground. As ormiston said, lets wait until we bat first!
  • Options
    The selection of two spinners is a master stroke, the pitch is a road and the seamers are going to struggle on there.

Might be an idea for England to really attack Lyon.
  • Options

They HAD to take that review, a wicket then would have been game changing and it looked so, so close.

I agree that it could have been crucial BUT it wasn't "so, so close".

It was missing the bails by a good three inches and even clipping the bails wouldn't have been enough. As stated on Sky the bounce isn't "fast" but "tennis ball" so the likelihood is that anything above the knee roll is going to bounce over.

Reviews are meant to be used for obviously wrong decisions and Broad has a nasty habit (because he is a "winner") of trying to get his way.

You could see that the other two decision makers (Cook and Prior) simply weren't convinced and in reviewing that one we are now in a situation where, we are under pressure not to review anything in the next 30 overs or so unless we think Stevie Wonder is umpiring!
  • Options
    agree re Broad and his whinging insistance on reviews that are wrong
    i wonder if they keep a table of bowlers who waste reviews , he'd be up there
  • Options
    like watching paint dry just not as enthralling .. England bowled well, pity about the dropped catches .. Panesar, who I would not have selected for the tour, was especially good .. Monty .. I take it all back !! ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I went to bed at 154-1, what a fail! Missed all the good stuff!
  • Options
    no excuses for the carberry drop ...very poor ,a real demotivator for the team ,hope they keep their heads up !
  • Options
    Am i going mad or am i the only one hearing a noise when i open this thread from my PC?
  • Options

I agree that it could have been crucial BUT it wasn't "so, so close".

It was missing the bails by a good three inches and even clipping the bails wouldn't have been enough. As stated on Sky the bounce isn't "fast" but "tennis ball" so the likelihood is that anything above the knee roll is going to bounce over.

Reviews are meant to be used for obviously wrong decisions and Broad has a nasty habit (because he is a "winner") of trying to get his way.

You could see that the other two decision makers (Cook and Prior) simply weren't convinced and in reviewing that one we are now in a situation where, we are under pressure not to review anything in the next 30 overs or so unless we think Stevie Wonder is umpiring!
    True, it was going over the top but it was on the back foot and it did "look" out on first sighting.

Haddin is a real LBW candidate because he doesn't get forward very well, Broad set him up with the short ones and then pushed one up - it was great bowling.

On pitches like these with chances so rare you may as well use your reviews when they will be effective, no point using them once the opposition are 500-5.
  • Options
    Nobody up watching tonight? Clarke just got his ton. Off to bed.
  • Options
    Its just like watching and supporting Charlton. Promise a lot, but dont delivering and loads of missed chances.
  • Options
    Poor old England are getting hammered. We could easily lose the series 5-0 if this carries on. We look absolutely clueless.
  • Options
    With Perth up next I think that is The Ashes gone.
  • Options
    Oh dear.
    Cook b Johnson 3

33-1

Trail by 537

*Turns Sky Sports off and backs away from thread*
  • Options
    Close of play 35-1

Bat for next two days, get a lead of 150+, win by an innings and 4 runs.......