Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Nottm Forest - Post match views

123457»

Comments

• If Yann is fit - that's a change we can't argue with. Gower was the weak point yesterday for me - if everybody is still injured - Hughes played well enough when he came on to deserve a starting place. I'd go with either Hughes or Pritchard to replace Gower - a case can be made for both.
  • Seems Gower splits opinion - I think he is a proper player but is struggling with the physicality of games in tier 2 not helped by the date on his birth cert and the fact that he had a season without competitive football in South Wales.

Opinions? Aren't they great!
  • edited October 2013
    I don't think he is a bad player - he is a tidy passer - suited to a team that passes it around. For us he is just an extra pass - Most of his passes are simple passes and he doesn't make enough incisive ones, he also doesn't have the intensity to his game (probably due to his age) and he doesn't have a shot or carry a goal threat.
  • edited October 2013

Kap10 said:

yeah I read that about Billy Davies and also heard his comments, fair play to him

Agree but what a strange thing for an opposition manager to do.

not really its a normal reaction from the managers union, one of yours a good one is in need of support, it is widely known with the football circus the issues chris is up against and the cards dealt to him

so an oppo mgr who has a team that is deemed to be more favourable for success than your counterpart, and the team and mgr under pressure put in performances like last night the oppo mgr to not just detract for potentially 2 dropped points but to highlight how well their colleague and friend have done ,

to me it was further confirmation of what was said by others

Fair enough. Not knocking him, just never heard of an opposition manager giung into the dressing room and addressing tge players after the game.

In a separate point, this is the first time I have seen Sordell. Given the stick he has been taking I watched him quite closely and I can't believe how underwhelming some of the comments about him on here relating to this match. I have seen Kermogant play worse and be praised.

Far from no interest he was tackling back from the start and showed good movement of the ball. His goal was no where near his first contribution.

• Looked like a cracking game and a real stellar performance from us.

Cousins, Sordell and Wilson looked very good as did Stephens and Wiggins.

Bottom line though is that there is no point going long without Yann in the team and there is no point sticking balls on the back post either - got to play to feet.

I wonder if, when Solly and Jackson return, we might see Wilson pushed into the right-side of that diamond so you'd have Cousins at the base, Wilson right-side, Jackson left-side and Stephens at the tip feeding the strikers.
  • sordell did not come into the game till about 30 mins in when he did he was ok I thought
  • sordell did not come into the game till about 30 mins in when he did he was ok I thought

From what I know of him and looking at him last night he is a 100% 'feet' player, there is no point lumping it long or trying to get him in the channels because that is never going to be his game.

Still think we are missing some real pace up front to get behind people, I am not sure we have the right mix with our three senior strikers, we have a target-man (Yann) a 'into feet' player (Sordell) and a workhorse (Church) - we need some pace in there.
  • Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 42s
    CP: Billy Davies came into our dressing room afterwards and told the players we are the best team they've played so far
  • Nice one Billy Davies.
  • Curb_It said:

Nice one Billy Davies.

My mate is a sports journo on a northern paper, he says Davies is the strangest manager going round, says you never know what sort of mood he will be in.

Even after some wins he says Davies can have the right arsehole and be a real prickly grumpy bastard but often they'll lose and he'll be nice as pie!
  • Sponsored links:

• JT said:

Charlton Athletic FC ‏@CAFCofficial 42s
    CP: Billy Davies came into our dressing room afterwards and told the players we are the best team they've played so far

Possibly, he felt guilty after doing a disappearing act, after being offered the Charlton manager's job, when Curbs left.
  • just looking at what the home dressing room looked like in case he gets offered the job again ?
  • their match thread/views after the game. quite interesting reading. their first thoughts on us and how they slowly start to realise we aren't just going to roll over, leading them to be on the most part thankful for the draw.

http://www.forestforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38613
  • Looked like a cracking game and a real stellar performance from us.

Cousins, Sordell and Wilson looked very good as did Stephens and Wiggins.

Bottom line though is that there is no point going long without Yann in the team and there is no point sticking balls on the back post either - got to play to feet.

I wonder if, when Solly and Jackson return, we might see Wilson pushed into the right-side of that diamond so you'd have Cousins at the base, Wilson right-side, Jackson left-side and Stephens at the tip feeding the strikers.

Interesting thought but both this and last season we only looked like a decent unit when we introduced some real pace which means that either CH or CS and the gaffer won't trust them on left or right side of the diamond so up top behind the strikers is has to be.
  • Sounds like we had a class game.

Doesn't mean we've turned any corner though.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

You will know from the preview that Forest used a 4-4-2 Diamond system in their previous game against Derby. CP obviously matched up, with Cousins at the base of the Diamond, Gower on the right, Stephens on the left and Harriott at the point, behind the front two of Sordell and Church. Sound Tactics, although a surprise that Harriott had such a key role in an unfamiliar position.
    Davies is obviously aware that opponents will try to match up, so he changed the Forest system to 4-2-3-1 and threw a spanner in the works, which caused us real problems. Our midfielders were unable to re-organise to the different system and Reid was getting time and space to play in the middle of a Mackie-Reid-Derbyshire trio playing behind Blackstock.
    Then after 15 mins Davies reverted to the tried and trusted Diamond System, which suited us, although there was no obvious reason for the change. So the game settled down into a 4-4-2 contest, with Cousins on Mackie, Gower on Reid, Stephens on Lansbury and Harriott v Chalobah. Both pairs of full backs had no direct opponent with plenty of space along the flanks in front of their positions.
    Forest weakness was the right side of the defence and although Wiggins got past Lichaj two or three times in the first half, we never really got at him. At HT, CP clearly asked both full backs to play 10 yards further forward and we really opened up Forest, particularly on their right, including the build-up to the goal. Wilson and Wiggins were key to a very good second half performance and Cousins was magnificent. His performance was reminiscent of the young Rio Ferdinand who also started in midfield at West Ham.

I suspect, but can't be certain, that Forest would tend to drop their diamond to a flat three for the early parts of away games to stifle the home team, quieten the crowd and then start to take control of the game moving forward. The fact that they changed to a 4-4-2 diamond simply suggests to me their game plan was working - which I think after 15 minutes 1-0 up, one might observe it was.

Interesting how much space Stephens in particular seemed to find though. Lansbury lacking discipline?
  • edited October 2013
    I noticed the Forest were having difficulties beating Cousins to teh ball and resorted to a lot of fouls - which the ref did pick up on. I think Cousins ensured we won the midfield but Stephens also harried - much more than usual and looked lively. I was trying to picture what would have happened with Pritchard in there instead of Gower - could be a very energetic middle and maybe a way to go.
  • rikofold said:

Tutt-Tutt said:

You will know from the preview that Forest used a 4-4-2 Diamond system in their previous game against Derby. CP obviously matched up, with Cousins at the base of the Diamond, Gower on the right, Stephens on the left and Harriott at the point, behind the front two of Sordell and Church. Sound Tactics, although a surprise that Harriott had such a key role in an unfamiliar position.
    Davies is obviously aware that opponents will try to match up, so he changed the Forest system to 4-2-3-1 and threw a spanner in the works, which caused us real problems. Our midfielders were unable to re-organise to the different system and Reid was getting time and space to play in the middle of a Mackie-Reid-Derbyshire trio playing behind Blackstock.
    Then after 15 mins Davies reverted to the tried and trusted Diamond System, which suited us, although there was no obvious reason for the change. So the game settled down into a 4-4-2 contest, with Cousins on Mackie, Gower on Reid, Stephens on Lansbury and Harriott v Chalobah. Both pairs of full backs had no direct opponent with plenty of space along the flanks in front of their positions.
    Forest weakness was the right side of the defence and although Wiggins got past Lichaj two or three times in the first half, we never really got at him. At HT, CP clearly asked both full backs to play 10 yards further forward and we really opened up Forest, particularly on their right, including the build-up to the goal. Wilson and Wiggins were key to a very good second half performance and Cousins was magnificent. His performance was reminiscent of the young Rio Ferdinand who also started in midfield at West Ham.

I suspect, but can't be certain, that Forest would tend to drop their diamond to a flat three for the early parts of away games to stifle the home team, quieten the crowd and then start to take control of the game moving forward. The fact that they changed to a 4-4-2 diamond simply suggests to me their game plan was working - which I think after 15 minutes 1-0 up, one might observe it was.

Interesting how much space Stephens in particular seemed to find though. Lansbury lacking discipline?
    I thought it was a clever ploy by Davies to start with a system different to what CP had planned against. Lansbury was outplayed by Stephens. A great example of a player winning his own individual battle within the team performance. If you win 6 or 7 of the individual battles, you will usually win the game. Wilson, Wiggins, Morrison, Wood, Cousins, Stephens and Sordell all won theirs. Harriott and Church were even, its was only Reid v Gower which was a problem. We were unlucky not to win.