Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Nottm Forest - Post match views

Comments

• Billy Davies was impressed.

http://youtu.be/xJ5CkZDPIJk

• hats off to billy
  • Just in. What a great performance, no complaints from me at all. Even if we had lost I'd have been happy. All I want is to walk away having seen my team give their all and having given it a go and we certainly did that tonight. If we had played like that against Millwall we'd have walked it. And the contrast is unreal. Tonight their was an intensity about our play and a willingness and get forward and have a go. You can't ask for more than that.

Cousins was outstanding, didn't put a foot wrong. Stephens had his best game for a long, long while. Church worked his socks off and even Sordell put in a shift, second half at least. Would have liked to have seen Stewart on at some point but you can't have it all. Every one gave a good, solid, passioned performance.

Finally, the crowd. Really got behind the lads and of course Chrissy. The Board should be in no doubt that if they sacked CP at the moment they'd be a mutiny. Oh, by the way BDL, it wasn't just the Covered End supporting tonight it was the whole ground.

Roll on Saturday.
  • I take it Cousins played right-side midfield in a 4-4-2?

JC was my MOM a true Rolls Royce amongst the family hatchbacks. Played mostly at the base of the diamond and broke up play cleanly and first touch and lay off was very easy on the eye.

We were really thin and although I'm sure he's been an excellent pro in his time, Mark Gower has lost the necessary physicality for this division.

Big concern is the keeper and have to say that last term a short spell on the bench cleared his head and maybe a few games out of the firing line maybe called for.
  • I thought Sordell had a very good game. His movement in the second half was very good and he tracked back well. He was getting shots off and got a goal! 4-1-2-1-2 was a brilliant formation to use in the situation.

Jackson and Cort will find it very hard to get their places back after the performance from Wood and the CMs.

Hamer's only mistake was costly. His positioning was poor but he kept us in if with that save in the first half.

A great performance from us. Very promising and we would've rolled over Millwall with that.

Shows you what passing instead of hoofing can do the team. Hope things don't change once Kermo is back.

Cousins MOTM. Get him tied down. Now!
  • Davey said:

Now that's why I sit in the Covered End......singing just got louder after freak cross-goal from Reidy

Sorry, not having that. Sit practically right behind where he took that from and we said he's gonna go for the top corner. That was meant.

• Much better tonight. I would have happily taken a point before hand but in the end disappointed we didn't get all 3. We need to start getting a few wins under our belt starting on Saturday. Hamer is my biggest worry, with no-one experienced to push him he isn't commanding his area and I think the defence is suffering as a result. Thought Wilson was excellent tonight just edging out Cousins and Wood as my MOTM.
  • Never seen Stephens cover so much ground........I think he today showed effort and aggression....OK he might have /should have scored in the first half but he fought hard to get to the position in the first place. I wouldn't mind him taking on the captaincy ....still a lot of potential. Look forward to Saturday.
  • Sounds like the performance was right up there. That's more like it. We're all a lot happier tonight. Now let's keep doing that.
  • JonnyK said:

I take it Cousins played right-side midfield in a 4-4-2?

JC was my MOM a true Rolls Royce amongst the family hatchbacks. Played mostly at the base of the diamond and broke up play cleanly and first touch and lay off was very easy on the eye.

We were really thin and although I'm sure he's been an excellent pro in his time, Mark Gower has lost the necessary physicality for this division.

Big concern is the keeper and have to say that last term a short spell on the bench cleared his head and maybe a few games out of the firing line maybe called for.
    Right, thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2013
    Bob Bolder, Lawrie Wilson, Chris Powell, Marvin Sordell, Jordan Cousins, Harry Gregory. What a fantastic night. I love CAFC.
  • What a turnaround for Dale stephens who played a starring role last night. Well done Charlton for effort pace and continued pressure and but for youth and experience we could have easily won that last night. Restored contentment with the team and renewed confidence that we can compete in the championship. Well done powell for keeping faith with stephens.
  • That's the sort of performance that is needed every game from every player. If 3/4 of them don't put that sort of effort in, then we are knackered. Play like that last night, then we will be fine this season.
  • First 90 minutes of the season and I am sure like most my head was down after 2 minutes 30 secs

So well done to the team and management. I'm quite critical of CP being statuesque in thesside lines when we are down but last night he was coaching from the UK touch line almost immediately.

Two players that seem to have had constant negative reports this season were Wilson and Sordell both of whom were brilliant. No one has mentioned Wilson's goal line clearance. Sordell showed a lot of movement off the ball, tackled and looked dangerous, plys he took his goal well.

One swallow does not make a summer and they need ti keep this up on Saturday.

The concerns for then is that Church appears to have a knock. Pigott looked ok when he came on though
  • If Powell had walked/got sacked on Saturday, and the new manager got a performance like that tonight then he'd be hailed as the messiah.
  • A much better performance and a deserved draw. If we had won, and we had the chances to do that, it would had been no travesty.

But, yet again we do better against a high flying footballing side that allow us space to play in the expectation of outplaying us rather than outfighting us.

The reason we looked so much better than v Millwall was that the the spanners got in our faces, stop us playing and broke up play. When we can both out play the likes of Forest and Leicester and outfight the likes of Millwall then we will have a side to watch.

But, but the players did well other than Hamer who was again beaten from range. Elliot was pilloried on here every time a "long range" shot ie 20 yards went past him and he was playing behind Docherty and Daily. Other teams know now Ben is dodgy from long range and so shoot a lot. And he lets them in. Again the ball went in over his head. Very good stop for forest only other shot on target in the first half though.

Harriot didn't have a great game but was playing out of position at the head of the diamond. Was still very busy and he put in a peach of a cross late on that curled away from the defenders

Gower I'm surprised people don't see what he brings to the side. Nothing fancy but simple pass after simple pass to a red shirt.

Cousins was excellent and grew into the game as his and everyone else's confidence grew, Stephens was good. Shame he can't keep his shots down. Now do that week in week out and not just v the passing sides.

Wilson and Wiggins got forward well, the diamond suits them, Morrison looks much more comfortable sweeping up around the first ball defender Wood. Wood may not look very pretty in his play but he is very effective and has some skill. Like Gower an experienced pro keeping it simple. MOTM

Sordell's confidence seem to have returned before he scored and afterwards was a different player to early games. Church I like but he's really got to take those chances. Injured now so who to replace him? Pigott again shown not to be suited to aerial battling yet at least.

Hughes is great. Even looks like an old fashioned player. Came on and did the job of seeing the game out.

Was disappointed with Forest. Gifted a goal early on they seemed happy to cruise to victory and never really put us under pressure other than from a succession of corners. Settled for a draw from about 65 minutes it seemed or maybe they thought the goal would have to come against leaky Charlton.

The Covered End made some great noise despite being behind. Don't know if it made a differences to the players but I can't see how it was worse than moaning, booing and silence. Much more fun for a fan that's for sure. But did you hear Forest singing Mull of Kintyre? Slowly the way it should be sung, not like a hyperactive rabbit on speed.

And I predicted 1 - 1 in the match preview thread. Shame as I had Cousins as last scorer and Charlton to win from behind in my bets. Oh well, you can't win them all.
  • Bob Bolder, Lawrie Wilson, Chris Powell, Marvin Sordell, Jordan Cousins, Harry Gregory. What a fantastic night. I love CAFC.

Ben Hamer's our goalkeeper now !
  • Gower and Hughes combined age of 69 and we need the both of them to play for them to complete 90 mins, but the way they both played its worth it imo
  • So my thoughts on last night.

Firstly, we were far from perfect back four sat too deep, we desperately lacked width at times, and no killer instinct in front of goal. Shows we still have a lot of work to do and a long way to go.

Having said this, last night was the first time in a long time that ive left the valley a proud person. Each and every player on the pitch put in as much effort as 11 fans would have done,they run and ffought for the cause. They lacked quality at times but it didnt matter, they showed last night that they love our club as much as we do.

As for the crowd, why cant it be like that every week?! They rallied behind the team after going a goal down and the team responded! Just goes to show that we really can be the 12th man!!

Lets get a couple of players back from injury and add a little bit more quality to the effort we showed last night and we will be fine!
  • edited October 2013
    Have to agree with most of the posts: fabulous night but I suspected/hoped when they scored that the crowd would get behind the team. They did and the guys responded very well! Well played, planned and executed SCP and team. Even Billy Davis was gracious and complimentary, dour Scot that he is.
    MoM for me was Cousins: he looked for the ball, so comfortable on the ball under pressure and gave everyone confidence. However, the team put in a great shift and the crowd an even better one (even in the West Stand!). Roll on the Seasiders on Saturday.
    Great to see Kermogant outside as well! (Love the 'Team of Kermogants' on Bream! If only.)
  • Sponsored links:

• great 2nd half performance from the lads, Cousins stood out for me - he was superb, he has to play, also Hughes gave a great little cameo.

the only thing that puzzled me was how on earth was the ref allowed to wear the kit he had on, he looked like one of their players all night.
  • much improved, deserved to win.

4-3-1-2 was interesting and it worked well once we got to grips with it.

devastating blow to concede so early and in that manner but we showed fight, spirit and quality thereafter and the support did its bit.

after we conceded, thought we might get a tonking and whilst Forest played it about nicely, we worked hard to shut them down and through that hard work, we worked ourselves into the game and rested the momentum from them.

with the formation, the midfield seemed a lot more fluid and that is why our passing game came back...movement. first time i've seen pass & move like that from a Charlton side for a while.

Cousins looks quality and held it together well in the centre.

praise to the midfield last night.

Wood had his best game in a Charlton shirt and whilst Wilson & Wiggins started as if they had lost confidence, they both grew in to the game and caused problems going forward as well as doing their defensive duties well.

once Harriot found his feet in that position he played well.

nice to see Sordell score.

how we didn't score again in that 2 minute melee, f knows.

if you was a neutral, you wouldn't have known who was in the top 6 and who was in the bottom 6.

• I have left it no secret that I think we are in need of a managerial change but by the sounds of it, Powell got it right tonight in every way, tactics, team selection, subs.

I will happily say well done Powell and all. Keep it up
  • That was much, much better, what some of us here have been calling for - quicker, more accurate links to the attack; midfield piling forward. The passing move that led to our goal was excellent, and the chances created during the attack when Cousins hit the post were thrilling.

I'm not getting carried away: it was a draw, and we have won only one in nine. We missed some good chances in the first half, and some of the approach play and throw-ins remain ponderous. Harriott was completely ineffective just behind the front pair, muscled off the ball and conceding possession.

We must keep the momentum going against Blackpool on Saturday - and for the rest of the season.
  • Really good match and yes one of the best since our return to this level.

The players in that formation looked unshackled with good performances all round bar Hamer. We could have had three in the first half alone (especially from the little passage of play from Stephens when he had the two shots) and deserved the win.

Agree with Henry though that Forest let us play, whereas Millwall didn't but I think that if we were set-up as last night we at least would have got something out if the Millwall game.

A very enjoyable night.

• @Large Addick: fair play if it was defo a shot, you had the pefect view! Reidy's got a magic left peg and certainly capable of it, just wasn't clear from where I was in NU.
  • A much better performance and a deserved draw. If we had won, and we had the chances to do that, it would had been no travesty.

But, yet again we do better against a high flying footballing side that allow us space to play in the expectation of outplaying us rather than outfighting us.

The reason we looked so much better than v Millwall was that the the spanners got in our faces, stop us playing and broke up play. When we can both out play the likes of Forest and Leicester and outfight the likes of Millwall then we will have a side to watch.

But, but the players did well other than Hamer who was again beaten from range. Elliot was pilloried on here every time a "long range" shot ie 20 yards went past him and he was playing behind Docherty and Daily. Other teams know now Ben is dodgy from long range and so shoot a lot. And he lets them in. Again the ball went in over his head. Very good stop for forest only other shot on target in the first half though.

Harriot didn't have a great game but was playing out of position at the head of the diamond. Was still very busy and he put in a peach of a cross late on that curled away from the defenders

Gower I'm surprised people don't see what he brings to the side. Nothing fancy but simple pass after simple pass to a red shirt.

Cousins was excellent and grew into the game as his and everyone else's confidence grew, Stephens was good. Shame he can't keep his shots down. Now do that week in week out and not just v the passing sides.

Wilson and Wiggins got forward well, the diamond suits them, Morrison looks much more comfortable sweeping up around the first ball defender Wood. Wood may not look very pretty in his play but he is very effective and has some skill. Like Gower an experienced pro keeping it simple. MOTM

Sordell's confidence seem to have returned before he scored and afterwards was a different player to early games. Church I like but he's really got to take those chances. Injured now so who to replace him? Pigott again shown not to be suited to aerial battling yet at least.

Hughes is great. Even looks like an old fashioned player. Came on and did the job of seeing the game out.

Was disappointed with Forest. Gifted a goal early on they seemed happy to cruise to victory and never really put us under pressure other than from a succession of corners. Settled for a draw from about 65 minutes it seemed or maybe they thought the goal would have to come against leaky Charlton.

The Covered End made some great noise despite being behind. Don't know if it made a differences to the players but I can't see how it was worse than moaning, booing and silence. Much more fun for a fan that's for sure. But did you hear Forest singing Mull of Kintyre? Slowly the way it should be sung, not like a hyperactive rabbit on speed.

And I predicted 1 - 1 in the match preview thread. Shame as I had Cousins as last scorer and Charlton to win from behind in my bets. Oh well, you can't win them all.

You sound a tad underwhelmed. Context is everything Henry. Down to the last 18 fit players, a formation never tried before, a goal down after 3 minutes, on a terrible run.

I agree re Gower incidentally, thought he had his best game for us last night. Can't agree re Harriot, thought he did very well indeed last night, a great position for him to play I think.
  • Not much to do but echo other comments. After the kick in stomach of the early goal dollowed by 15 minutes of Forest dominance, we got ourselves back in the match. Hoofball was gone and with Cousins and Stephens breaking up play in a crowded midfield, we were able to secure time and space. We were unlucky to go in at half time one down.

We were dominant in the second half, except at the end and but for some wasteful finishing should have won by 2 or 3.

For them, Reid was sensational. Like their team a lot - didn't cheat, played the ball on the deck, tried to win (except for their time-wasting goalie. Thought their fans were a bit quiet but maybe they were just drwoned out.

Positives

My perfect Cousins. He was just fantastic. Upper body strength, vision, engine - he's got the lot. Really, really impressed.

Stephens: Worked really well with Cousins and in that formation. Much improved tackling.

Wood: In control, keeps posession, aware of what is going on around him.

Wilson: Is getting better and better.

Formation: Really liked it and suited our play. Not sure if it will fir with Kermo's game. Shows imagination and nous by Powell.

Crowd: Brilliant. Really lifted the team. Positive throughout and not crappy Addams family, full of fanny northern bastard songs. Made me feel proud. Why can't we be like this on Saturday afternoons?

Ref: Unfussy, got most things right though could have offered us more protection.

Negatives

We are weak up front. Church works very hard but can't finish. Sordell looked disinterested until he got the goal. Pigott just can't time his jumps at all and is outmuscled every time. He just isn't ready for the first team.

Hamer and Morrison both look out of sorts and have done for some time.
  • Thanks to everyone who was there for the comments - gutted I couldn't make it last night, but had surgery in the morning and didn't get out until later than expected.

Pleased to hear Cousins did well and hopefully Sordell getting on the score sheet can kick-start his season.