Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Nottm Forest - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    no way were there 2.5k forest fans in there, they were all standing and spread out so looked more
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Just watched the highlights from the game on CAFC's official YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbhkUrrNVhM.
    We could've won the game indeed. I feel really optimistic now.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

All good aside from Hamer's distribution - largely accurate enough but so slow.

It was very noticeably how Forest were always putting a man to obstruct Hamer whenever he got the ball - the referee should have done something about it. That said Ben should have done a lot better for their goal.
  • Options
    Best performance of the season. Wilson and Cousins stand outs for me.
  • Options
    Looks like the defensive midfield problem (I refuse to say issue as in modern corporate speak) may finally have been solved after many years.
  • Options

why put Pritchard in, it makes no sense to change anything

agree, unless Jacko is fit

• Options
    Riviera said:

Kap10 said:

yeah I read that about Billy Davies and also heard his comments, fair play to him

Agree but what a strange thing for an opposition manager to do.

Be nice to people on the way up as you may need them on the way down.
    and he very nearly was our Manager too so maybe he has a soft spot for us

• Options
    Massive improvement - had legs and energy in the team and a real bit between their teeth - that and the leicester game is as good as i've seen us play for a good while and dispels the worry that we are relegation fodder. The millwall game was a sickener but isn't it always - be sweeter when we go there and beat them later in the season. Cousins and Harriot are getting a chance to establish themselves and i like the look of Wood so once kermo, solly and JJ back we could put a bit of a run together.
  • Options
    I wouldn't even put JJ back in
  • Options
    you might be right but i'd have him in over Gower - he will create as much if not more and will definitely work harder. Gower and sordell both had turns marking the ref in the first half, they were going through the motions so much - a poor man's danny murphy we can't afford although i accept that the ref looked like he was wearing a forest away kit and if you're not switched on, that could easily happen!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can't wait to play derby!
  • Options
    The fact that the defence pushed up after ½hr and Wood was actually carrying the ball into their half was a huge boost to our midfield performance.
  • Options
    I only hope that Slater being in attendance means he will know 100% we are all behind Powell, and can feed that back to Jimenez. I'm 99% certain they are going to try and shaft Powell at some point, and the more we can do as a unit to deter them the better. I hope we can build on last night against Blackpool, as the term will need a win, just to get that feeling back in their veins. I have a sneaky feeling we might get a few more goals from Sordell now, as he looks like one of those forwards who is goes up a gear if he scores.
  • Options
    Nah.
    Slater was there to deliver this months million in used twenties. All is good ;-)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Wow, what an evening.

The night began with a brilliant rendition of "Chrissy Powell's Red and White Army"; and I hope that anyone who truly thought that the fans were turning on Powell are laying a little low this afternoon. Despite some brilliance by the rather reliable Mr. Reid, the choruses grew louder and the mood was rather optimistic; and I was touched to see this noted by quite a few Forest fans on twitter after the game.

Within the first 10 minutes it was clear that Forest were a team high on confidence, they were comfortable in possession and capable of some very fast movements. It must also be remarked that the quality of their passing was superb, with quite a few pitch-spliting crosses that were effective at completely switching the side of play.

During this time there were times where we could gain possession, only to run out of steam and end up cornered; with players looking as though they've managed to get lost and stranded on the pitch.

Despite this, we grew in to the match - and despite popular opinion, I firmly believe we were quite dominant in the first half. The inclusion of Jordan Cousins negated any loss we suffered through the loss of Pritchard; he was absolutely everywhere, and the quality of his touch was clear for all to see. I was very impressed with him.

Another surprise in the midfield was Stephens, he truly showed what he was capable of in the first half. As per the story of the night, one of our best chances came to nothing, despite this - the work he showed to create the chance was truly brilliant. He no longer appeared to be the little lost boy who was homesick, he looked confident and ready to take on his man.

Lawrie Wilson was clearly a player lacking confidence, and often his touch didn't quite come off correctly or he'd lose possession where he really ought not to. One such example was where he recieved a pass from Hamer, but unbeknown to him he had an opponent sprinting right up to his rear. However, after pulling off one of the most impressive goal line clearances I've seen, he grew a little - and managed to produce another good opportunity at the other end of the pitch. I was glad to see that it was partly down to Lawrie's excellent delivery of the ball that we managed to get our equalizer in the second half.

If we had improved gradually over the first half, then in the second half we were a completely different team. We made Forest run and we made them panic a fair few times too; especially Cousins who was constantly hassling their players.

When our eventual goal came it was not only deserved, but also expected. Not to downplay our performance, but our finishing was sadly lacking - and I expect this was the difference of 2 points today. Church was left chasing to many high-balls, whilst Sordell in comparison seemed to be left waiting for the ball too often. We were clearly missing Kermogant - his strength, his hold-up play and his finishing were all required on the night; either that or a Haynes style striker who has the speed to get through defences, and the skills to make sure he takes his opportunities.

Shortly before the full-time whistle there was a few moments where we should've got the winner; the ball fell to Sordell, Piggott, Cousins and Sordell again (If I recall correctly) but we just couldn't make it count. That's no sleight on any of the players mentioned either, Cousins managing to hit the post, Piggott managing to get it around the keeper and Sordell forcing a save: it just wasn't to be seemingly.

I think it's also worth mentioning our set-pieces; they were pretty good. On one occasion Stephens delivered the ball in to the box for it to be instinctively passed around by red shirts in the box, every man knew where to find a team mate. Also, one of the very good deliveries from Wilson was met by a row of players each sprinting for the ball in a textbook diagonal movement - this was very unfortunate not to have paid off!

The refereeing was comical at times - with it appearing that all decisions were being decided by a Forest player; seriously, someone should've made him change his kit. Also, I'm sure we had two very clear handball calls in the penalty box - one in either half. I thought it was very poor for either of those not to have been given IMO.

In conclusion, all the team showed up last night - and so did the fans. We got behind the boys, and they showed true character. Our first team would struggle to match the skill of Forest, but each of the lads on the pitch yesterday tried - even those clearly lacking confidence to begin with; Wilson, Hamer and Stephens. They should all be proud of themselves, and we should proud of them.

That point meant a lot, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one who instinctively looked over at the dugout when we equalised - to say that it obviously meant a lot to the staff would be an understatement. Furthermore, I thought the quality of substitutes were brilliant - the timing and choice of Hughes was instrumental in us maintaining control, Dervite was a good choice for the final few minutes and I was happy to see Piggott make another appearance.

I think a well done is due to Powell and the lads, and may be a few of our fellow fans revising their previous posts...
  • Options
    Great write up LuckyReds
  • Options
    Jints said:

Great write up LuckyReds

Cheers for having the patience to read it; I wrote it on my lunch break... before I knew it it was time to work again.

I must admit, I hit "Post" and when I saw it I couldn't help but think "Surely no fecker is going to read that great big wall of text".. I like to be proved wrong ;)
  • Options

why put Pritchard in, it makes no sense to change anything

I like Pritchard a lot, but the only change I'd make - if I had to - would be to find a place for Hughes, probably for Gower. But I don't see why you'd need to change it.
  • Options
    Only just catching up with matters Charlton after a busy few days which prevented my attendance last night.

Glad that the mood amongst both players and fans appeared to be positive.

Let's hope we keep it going for Blackpool.

COYR
  • Options

Really good match and yes one of the best since our return to this level.

The players in that formation looked unshackled with good performances all round bar Hamer. We could have had three in the first half alone (especially from the little passage of play from Stephens when he had the two shots) and deserved the win.

Agree with Henry though that Forest let us play, whereas Millwall didn't but I think that if we were set-up as last night we at least would have got something out if the Millwall game.

A very enjoyable night.

think its a big thing the way we deal with teams that set up to stifle us.we really do struggle to break teams down when they have everyone behind the ball and think its been a big factor in the poor home form.in turn our away form largely has been good as i think we do well with the space you have with the home team making the play.hope we can build on last nights result as we look for some consistency.well done to all concered.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't go but reveling in everyone's enthusiasm of that performance on here.

As for the usual points scoring between factions, lets see a few more like this on and off the pitch before everyone starts re-writing previous posts.

Cmon
  • Options
    We had 22 shots according to BBC stats (though think five or six were in that one spell of pinball).
  • Options
    Great performance after a woeful start (thanks again ben) why do people rate this idiot of a keeper of ours. There heads never dropped and we should have won...hopefully we can go on from this but i said the same thing after watford and look what happened....well done to to those of us who bothered to turn up and support their team.
  • Options
    You will know from the preview that Forest used a 4-4-2 Diamond system in their previous game against Derby. CP obviously matched up, with Cousins at the base of the Diamond, Gower on the right, Stephens on the left and Harriott at the point, behind the front two of Sordell and Church. Sound Tactics, although a surprise that Harriott had such a key role in an unfamiliar position.
    Davies is obviously aware that opponents will try to match up, so he changed the Forest system to 4-2-3-1 and threw a spanner in the works, which caused us real problems. Our midfielders were unable to re-organise to the different system and Reid was getting time and space to play in the middle of a Mackie-Reid-Derbyshire trio playing behind Blackstock.
    Then after 15 mins Davies reverted to the tried and trusted Diamond System, which suited us, although there was no obvious reason for the change. So the game settled down into a 4-4-2 contest, with Cousins on Mackie, Gower on Reid, Stephens on Lansbury and Harriott v Chalobah. Both pairs of full backs had no direct opponent with plenty of space along the flanks in front of their positions.
    Forest weakness was the right side of the defence and although Wiggins got past Lichaj two or three times in the first half, we never really got at him. At HT, CP clearly asked both full backs to play 10 yards further forward and we really opened up Forest, particularly on their right, including the build-up to the goal. Wilson and Wiggins were key to a very good second half performance and Cousins was magnificent. His performance was reminiscent of the young Rio Ferdinand who also started in midfield at West Ham.
  • Options
    We were great last night, i couldnt mind but admire their subs bench, they brought on people like Wood and Henderson two strikers who would walk into our team...this is the gap within the championship.
  • Options
    Good result hopefully push on against Blackpool
  • Options
    Showed some cajones last night. Created plenty of chances that were either missed, fluffed or kept out by good defending and then got that all important equaliser which I always felt would come. If we can play like that every night and afternoon we will be safe. Bring on the Tangerines!
  • Options
    Leave it alone no changes, like Gower
  • Options
    Proud of the boys last night - makes the Millwall fiasco even worse! The side need to believe they can win on Saturday now. Thought Cousins was different class.
  • Options
    May need to make a change given the knock on The Vicar! Also from memory The Tangerines/Seasiders or whatever their nickname play 4-2-3-1 which will need an adjustment in tactics which may suit a change in personnel. Then again we ain't got many options based on the 'standing room only' treatment room.

Let's hope the gaffer retains his more positive approach and trusting the younger players - you know it makes sense CP!