Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Nottm Forest - Post match views

Comments

• Options
    Thought the midfield shape really helped tonight. Cousins holding with Harriott in front of him at the top of the diamond. Gower on the right and Stephens on the left but both playing tight inside and keeping in narrow, really allowed both full backs to push on down the flanks. All looked much more comfortable and it worked really well after the early set back. I would like to see us continue with it.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

One thing I will say - Chalobah, whilst not fully fit, is absolutely unbelievable for an 18 year old. Him in England's midfield with Wilshere pulling the strings is going to be tasty.

That said - Chelsea rate him at £20m so what price Cousins

Good players make the game look easy. That's exactly what both of these boys did tonight

And Barkley too. Maybe our future isn't so bad after all
  • Options
    Can only echo what virtually everyone else has already written. There's no doubt Cousins is going to be a great player. First 20 mins I feared the worst. Terrific support. A great night to be at the Valley and meet some Lifers in person.
  • Options
    Much better performance tonight.I'm his biggest critic but thought Stephens played well tonight.hopefully this will kick start his season.cousins was class tonight.looks so comfortable on the ball and looks a class act.does the simple things simple.good engine aswell.Wilson is getting better and better every game.great low drive across goal where a lot of players would of hit it a mile over.wood looks a very good player and should start from now on.happy tonight but must keep it up and beat Blackpool Saturday.
  • Options
    Mundell's said much of what I want to say.

A midfield diamond, compact, with Cousins deeper and Harriott behind the front two. Noticed the pitch had been narrowed too, yet the formation seemed to give us so much space.

Stephens for one used it really well, and consistently well. Gower had probably his best game for us and Harriott was a revelation in his advanced role looked like he'd played there all his life.

Every player to a man worked his nuts off, and with a bit of luck and more confident finishing we'd have been out of sight. Even so, a fantastic performance. Brilliant cameo from Hughes.

And Powell didn't fluff his lines either, a tactical triumph and a slight adjustment to push on higher up the pitch second half meant we outplayed a very good side for long periods.

They said the players wouldn't play for him any more. They said we never create chances. They said his football was boring, negative.

Well Powell well and truly stuffed their words back from whence they came, and a tireless performance from the stands showed 'they' remain very much in the minority.

Great night. Arise Sir Christopher Powell.
  • Options
    Having seen them in detail at the weekend, I look forward to @Tutt-Tutt s take on it
  • Options
    Oh and Richard Wood was immense tonight.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Thoroughly enjoyed that. Restored the faith. Went expecting a wake and after ten minutes the razor blades were coming out. But great crowd. I was in upper west and it was jumping. Honest! Real kick up the jacksie from CP at half time and a terrific second half performance. Stephens, Cousins, Wilson and Wood the shandouts for me. Disappointed by Harriott, Hamer and Gower. But sooooooo much better. Great night.
  • Options
    Was good to meet you Prague.

I'm only starting to realize now just how many chances we had. I really don't know how Stephens managed to blast over from about 5 yards. Surely it would have been tougher to miss the target from there? Otherwise he had a good game.

We really did have a mad 20 second moment in te second half too with about 4-5 shots at goal, one hitting the post. Morrison had a glorious chance at the end too.

Was great to see Andy Hughes.

We would have won that with Kermorgant.
  • Options

Works hard, but Churchys finishing is just shocking. Stephens, Cousins and Wood standouts for me. Hamer beaten by the obligatory 30 yard 'wonder goal' yet again. Others are attempting to raise their game, Hamer still lagging.

But he did put in match saver midway through the first half. Felt it made up for the goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That was a great game of football anyone who says we serve dross up would've been happy with that, we should've won we were the better team in that match for prob 75 Mins, we didn't deserve to go a goal down and we should've won by 4 or 5 imo with Church x 2 Harriott x1 Cousins x 1 and Morrison all missing very good chances

Perfect team selection that midfield works really well

Gower
    Stephens
    Cousins

was superb all night
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Mundell's said much of what I want to say.

A midfield diamond, compact, with Cousins deeper and Harriott behind the front two. Noticed the pitch had been narrowed too, yet the formation seemed to give us so much space.

Stephens for one used it really well, and consistently well. Gower had probably his best game for us and Harriott was a revelation in his advanced role looked like he'd played there all his life.

Every player to a man worked his nuts off, and with a bit of luck and more confident finishing we'd have been out of sight. Even so, a fantastic performance. Brilliant cameo from Hughes.

And Powell didn't fluff his lines either, a tactical triumph and a slight adjustment to push on higher up the pitch second half meant we outplayed a very good side for long periods.

They said the players wouldn't play for him any more. They said we never create chances. They said his football was boring, negative.

Well Powell well and truly stuffed their words back from whence they came, and a tireless performance from the stands showed 'they' remain very much in the minority.

Great night. Arise Sir Christopher Powell.

This is what I was trying to say. Just looked at players marks and am surprised that Harriott is getting such low marks. He was one of our best players first half as he was positive. Sometimes you lose the ball when you take someone on, but that is what we have needed to do for some time now and he and Cousins did this. Stevens followed suit and we were off and running. Well chuffed. Better rub of the green and we could stay up.
  • Options
    Another factor in our performance - we'd gotten a toehold in the game when Blackstock went down over nothing and our entire team wandered over to Powell (after 30 minutes) - we then put in a really focused and rousing effort for the final 15 of the half (barring that one chance for either Derbyshire or Mackie, didn't see who). He must have had a magic word :)
  • Options
    Really enjoyed tonight. Excellent game and great shame we didn't sneak a win.

I don't think we have one player that would make the Forest first 11 and for the first 10-15 mins we looked inept despite the vocal support that did not waver for more than a second after the Reid goal.

Then confidence started creeping back and we played like a team. We played like Barcelona for about 3 minutes early in the second half and created more chances than most of last season's home games put together.

Wilson, Cousins and Stevens were immense and we looked more formidable without Pritch invasion.

No disrespect to Sordell who began to show or Church who ran about a lot but if Obika and/or Fuller were still in the squad we would have won that. And that is not down to the manager.
  • Options
    I can only echo what everyone else has put so far & for me best game of the season (even beating Leicester). Stephens was a completely different player to the one who played against Millwall and I hope he realises that he can do so much damage when he plays further up the pitch. Cousins was superb and shows why some on here have been touting his name - his block towards the end of the game won us the point. Sordell missed a couple of easy chances in the first half but was a different player once he scored - showed some neat touches & wasn't afraid to shoot. Wood was immense, as was Wilson and Hughes cameo showed that perhaps he should be playing instead of Gower.

I just hope that CP doesn't tinker with the team for Sat - unless Kermy is fit, in which he can replace Church.
  • Options
    My first visit this season.Really enjoyed it .Wood was my MOM followed very closely by Cousins.Stephens is coming on nicely .Glaringly obvious we miss Yann .Never won a single header up front .Church does a good impersonation of Gary Nelson and Sordell plays as if he thinks he is Jermaine Defoe [without the talent].
    Midfield and defence were very good .very encouraging
  • Options
    Crowd were immense.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Another factor in our r performance - we'd gotten a toehold in the game when Blackstock went down over nothing and our entire team wandered over to Powell (after 30 minutes) - we then put in a really focused and rousing effort for the final 15 of the half (barring that one chance for either Derbyshire or Mackie, didn't see who). He must have had a magic word :)

What, our clueless negative manager who's lost the confidence of the players? ;-)

(some of us need to look long and hard at ourselves).
  • Options
    no way should Nelse be mentioned in the same breat as Church , Nelse was better than church will ever be
  • Options
    I concede that but similar style with less threat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nelse was my hero sorry for the defensive post 8)
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Very pleased overall, if a little surprised Forest didn't test us more. Felt it showed that as a group of players they can collectively leave the off-field stuff off the field and play their football.

Impressed by Wilson, as usual, and also Gower tonight who made a consistently positive contribution, which i admit surprised me. Wood had a good steady game. Morrison dangerous in the area (theirs) on many occasions. Good to see Sordell's confidence immediately boosted by the goal- really hope it lasts and he goes us to show what he can do.

Everyone was busy and kept the game moving at a pace. Maybe as a consequence of this any mistakes seemed quickly forgotten and no-one's head went down. We kept our shape whereas Forest lost theirs as time went on. By extra time the North upper wanted more and greeted the 4 extra minutes with a cheer as we were well on top and knew a win was in our grasp.

More of the same Saturday will serve us well and get us over this particular bump in the road. We may even find we can cope without certain players for longer, and reduce our dependence on them, which will be no bad thing.
  • Options
    what needs to happen more is Stephens and Cousins need to collect the ball from Hamer and build play

Both Stephens and Gower both constantly looking to play positive football
  • Options
    Definitely a diamond formation with Cousins base, Stephens left, Gower right, Harriott tip. Relied on Wiggins & Wilson for width, which they did really well. Forest were pretty good with the ball but we disrupted them and harried them into mistakes and Charlton were the better team overall. Lots of good performances but Wilson and Cousins were really good and Wood headed away a lot of crosses/corners in the 2nd half. This was a real TEAM performance tonight, with the crowd remaining very positive despite the early goal. It felt like old Charlton tonight.

• Options
    A great performance,just so frustrating that we couldn't get the second to kill it off.How are Forest up there,they were very ordinary.Tut-Tut's analysis of their play from their weekend game was spot on.I had the impression Forest turned up thinking they would cruise it and then they couldn't change gear.Sordell has shot on him,the first I've seen of it--more please.Cousins played beautifully and very unlucky to hit the post,he would have deserved to score the winner.Agree with everything said by ozaddick.
    Can't wait for Saturday now! COYR.
  • Options
    what a difference 90 mins makes
  • Options
    A really good comeback and positive second half performance. Quality goal by Andy Reid and thought he meant it; Hamer looked half asleep and thought he could have made more of an effort to save it. Charlton looked much better going forward and quite a few chances; shame about the poor finishing. I was very impressed with Jordan Cousin's performance and cannot remember him ever giving the ball away. The players now need to take that into Saturday's match and hopefully no silly goals will be given away.
  • Options
    Surely Jordan Cousins must start the next game after that performance, I lost count of the times he won the ball in the first half.
  • Options
    I thought we played well throughout the game and if it weren't for Reid's free kick we would've kept a clean sheet tonight.

Wilson was my MotM closely followed by Wood, Stephens and Cousins. TBH everyone put a shift in and it was a battling display with some good football being played as well. We did waste some good chances but if we play like tonight then we'll soon move up the table.

Tonight was the benchmark, if we put the same commitment and work rate at the weekend I suspect we'll get 3 points, we might not have the technical ability to pull teams apart like other sides do but we're at our best when we're fully committed and working hard for each other which has been lacking at times. Let's get 3 points Saturday now
  • Options
    Well, what a difference 3 days make ! Such a better performance than that at Turf Moor & no comparison to the recent derby.

I thought Stephens had his best game ever for us, Woody was a rock and young Jordan, so mature. But all the lads fought the good fight - long may it last!

It was SO good to see the fans exiting the ground with smiles on their faces again but I doubt that they were as broad as the one on the gaffer's face tonight. Bless his heart.

Tonight we had our Charlton back - well almost. Please give the team more of that wonderful support on Saturday and send the Tangerines home pointless. I might even drink to that on "my" volcanic island !

COYA !!!!!!!!!!