Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    iainment said:

olster said:

Hahaha - that route looks perfectly planned to me :lol:

Will check you out in Strava and follow your tracking. I'd love to do it one day - but racing still takes up all my time at the minute. When I can't race any more (not that I'm any good now) I'll start doing all those long distance events I've wanted to do for years

Good luck with it - how well prepared do you think you are?

Not sure really - if you had asked me a few months ago I would have hoped to have been much more prepared, but life/work has got in the way more than I would have hoped.

It is what it is, i'm not riding to win, i'm riding to finish - and I think that's achievable.
    You'll have us willing you on.
    Second that. It'll be an absolutely massive achievement. Be rooting for you, hope you avoid then dogs!
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    jamescafc said:

Anyone fancy a CL ride soon?

Been out with @olster before but despite being a fat bastard, he left me for dead so hoping this may appeal to some of the steadier riders amongst us

I'm up for it, though have limited weekends free before September.

If anyone else could join to save me from having to put up with @jamescafc on my own. I vote a steady 60/70k from the valley, with a cake halfway and a pint to finish. The sort of ride @Leroy Ambrose would hate!
  • Options
    Just back from 6 days cycling in the Alps: Thonon Les Bains to Nice.... ended up skipping a couple of climbs as was struggling in temps of over 40 degrees....managed Colombiere, Madeliene, Vars, Bonette (right to the top), Cenis amongst others...missed out Izoard and Finistiere (sp?) though (although done the Iz twice before already)... Absolutely knackered now and suffered like Ive never suffered before on a bike...cycled back to SE10 from dropping the van off in Dartford this morning and nearly had to get off and push on Shooters Hill....all of the Alps trip should be up on the CL strava group....

@JohnBoyUK - you can come cycling with us when you're more back in to it...there's usually a group for a Sunday morning ride....avg speed around the 28 - 35kph...faster on the flat, slower up the hills!

@olster - am also up for a CL ride, if we can get it organised....
  • Options
    Will defo take you up on that @CharltonCharlie, its been too long mate :)
  • Options
    olster said:

jamescafc said:

Anyone fancy a CL ride soon?

Been out with @olster before but despite being a fat bastard, he left me for dead so hoping this may appeal to some of the steadier riders amongst us

I'm up for it, though have limited weekends free before September.

If anyone else could join to save me from having to put up with @jamescafc on my own. I vote a steady 60/70k from the valley, with a cake halfway and a pint to finish. The sort of ride @Leroy Ambrose would hate!
    Might be a while before I can join you on a 70k ride. Just riden the 3 miles to Avery Hill park, been round the perimeter 3 times and had to stop for a drink.
  • Options
    Lovely evening to ride around the park though.
  • Options
    Inspired by the good people on here and other friends and work colleagues, I have taken the plunge this morning and am now officially a cyclist. Like some others on here I hadn't been on a bike for about 40 years, but tried a friend's and was instantly hooked again. I have been enthralled with the road cycling tours for quite a while and just been and purchased a new road bike today, so if you're out and about around the Orpington area on Sunday morning , give a wave to a nervous old bloke on a blue bike.
  • Options
    I stopped off at my mates on the way home from my ride last night, who's a serious road rider. He was showing me his bikes and he's got this Italian one (Pinarello) that cost about £5k and weighs next to nothing. You could lift it up with a couple of fingers.
  • Options
    A CL ride could be interesting, I really must get back on the saddle as part of my x-training days during marathon training!
  • Options

I stopped off at my mates on the way home from my ride last night, who's a serious road rider. He was showing me his bikes and he's got this Italian one (Pinarello) that cost about £5k and weighs next to nothing. You could lift it up with a couple of fingers.

My mate has a Venge Vias. Cost just under 8 grand...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You lot have a load of nutters as mates (surely with too much money!)
  • Options
    Not sure of anyone's mentioned it on here but is anyone taking the plunge and getting the sram etap wireless gear set?

Seem to be getting good reviews , out of my price range though at just over a grand.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Dazzler21 said:

You lot have a load of nutters as mates (surely with too much money!)

Just about to pull the trigger on a new race bike for the rest of this year and the next two years. Cervelo S5 - just shy of 4500. It's an absolute weapon of a bike. I don't really spend any money on anything else - I know plenty of blokes who spend about the same in a year on golf
  • Options
    and somewhere in Greenwich...another £8000 worth. I know for a fact his missus was less than impressed when he said he was going to Italy to be fitted.
  • Options
    Anyone who is thinking of spending big, check out Merlin cycles.

A Merlin full Carbon, Ultegra, Racing Quattros will set you back £1500/700
    A Ridley, Ultegra, Racing Quattros, Full Carbon will be £3500/900

This is the same bike, made in the same factory.
  • Options
    With a few changes,
    Deda Superzero s/post and stem, Deda Newton Bars and Prologo saddle.
  • Options

Anyone who is thinking of spending big, check out Merlin cycles.

A Merlin full Carbon, Ultegra, Racing Quattros will set you back £1500/700
    A Ridley, Ultegra, Racing Quattros, Full Carbon will be £3500/900

This is the same bike, made in the same factory.

Kind of true, but not exactly. I think you're talking about the Nitro? That's the top end of Merlin's frames and is definitely a rebadged Helium. Snag is, it's last year's model. No real difference between doing that and selling them on at a discount, I guess - which is what all bike manufacturer's do with old stock anyway.

Definitely a good bike regardless - Merlin are about 15 miles from me (I used to live 2 minutes walk away!) and sponsor my club. Most of their own brand bikes are shitty entry level things, but they do get some decent other brands in from time to time, and the Nitro is a nice lightweight bike.
  • Options
    Helium X I think it was. £2.800 was the cheapest I could find. £1000 difference for what is essentially the same bike.
  • Options
    I got my Venge for 1200 quid less than list price by waiting until the end of the year it was released. Anyone who buys a bike at retail price is a plum
  • Options
    Tried to break my 100 mile duck again today. Failed again. Puncture on 71 miles. No problem I think, have spare tube and levers. Battle with tyre for 20 mins, finally get it on and bingo, the valve on the spare is broken. 4 mile walk of shame to the nearest station at Herne Bay. Have discovered I seriously need new tyres as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Did over 15 miles when I got in from work and feel fine. Never thought I'd wear anything Lycra but have bought some padded undershorts which are really comfortable and help stop chaffing. They don't look that great when I take the shorts over them off though.
  • Options

Did over 15 miles when I got in from work and feel fine. Never thought I'd wear anything Lycra but have bought some padded undershorts which are really comfortable and help stop chaffing. They don't look that great when I take the shorts over them off though.

now it starts to get addictive. You'll start looking at expensive bikes and watching Le Tour..
  • Options
    If you do want to get good kit cheapish, have a look at the Assos factory outlet website.
  • Options
    As weird as it may look, I actually find cycling in Lycra much more comfortable and I only wear cheap stuff from planet x
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

As weird as it may look, I actually find cycling in Lycra much more comfortable and I only wear cheap stuff from planet x

Older not so shapely blokes (like me) look daft in team kit but I find I can get away with Morvelo stuff.
  • Options

now it starts to get addictive. You'll start looking at expensive bikes and watching Le Tour..
    I was out with my serious cycler mate yesterday and said I can see myself getting a road bike in a few months.

Have already got a Wiggle account, I have to be careful as I'm type 1 diabetic and have to make sure my sugar level doesn't get too low when I'm riding. Lucozade's too fizzy so have ordered a load of energy gels off them.
  • Options

I was out with my serious cycler mate yesterday and said I can see myself getting a road bike in a few months.

Have already got a Wiggle account, I have to be careful as I'm type 1 diabetic and have to make sure my sugar level doesn't get too low when I'm riding. Lucozade's too fizzy so have ordered a load of energy gels off them.
    go easy on the gels, they are known for giving you the shits. I have low sugar problems, so besides carrying healthy snacks always have a mars bar.
  • Options
    @DaveMehmet
    If you are 42/44 chest, 36 waist don't go out buying kit, I've got stuff in the cupboard I've never worn.
  • Options

@DaveMehmet
    If you are 42/44 chest, 36 waist don't go out buying kit, I've got stuff in the cupboard I've never worn.

Cheers, currently a bit over 36 so might need a few long rides before they fit!