Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    olster said:

iainment said:

I've worn a hole in my pannier rack!
    Plastic mountings on my Ortlieb bag rubbing against aluminium. The plastic unaffected, the aluminium in tatters. So until I can afford a new rack the bag goes on the left side.

I'm pretty sure i've got a spare rack in the cellar that you can have (for nothing). I'll check tonight.
    Crikey that's very generous of you, but I'm already looking forward to shopping for this. I'm a bit OCD about bike bits. And I scour the net for stuff.
    But many, many thanks.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Just ordered myself two new Conti GP4000s, a new chain and rear cassette.
    Looks like I'll be back on my bike sooner rather than later. Sigh.

Just coming up to 14 months since I ran the London Marathon and I'm still fcuked because of it. Just cant put together more than 2-3 runs of 5k together where my groin isn't sore. Regretfully now looks like my running days are over so I've got no choice but to get back on the bike otherwise I'm going to be the size of a house very quickly. Hopefully on that first spin, I'll get the bug back again like I did a few years ago and I'm able to get back to the bike fitness levels I had then otherwise I'm going to find it very frustrating.

You know how it works with the bike. If you don't love it again straight away, set yourself some targets. Have a goal to work towards, do the same training rides regularly to measure progress and - even if you aren't loving it instantly, at least you're working towards something - even if it is just keeping the weight off.

If I still lived down there I'd go on rides with you. Maybe find a club and go out with them? Not a noddy club - a real one, with fast groups that you can get some real value out of going with, rather than two cake stops and a 16mph average over 40 miles :lol:
  • Options
    edited June 2017

JohnBoyUK said:

Just coming up to 14 months since I ran the London Marathon and I'm still fcuked because of it. Just cant put together more than 2-3 runs of 5k together where my groin isn't sore. Regretfully now looks like my running days are over so I've got no choice but to get back on the bike otherwise I'm going to be the size of a house very quickly. Hopefully on that first spin, I'll get the bug back again like I did a few years ago and I'm able to get back to the bike fitness levels I had then otherwise I'm going to find it very frustrating.

You know how it works with the bike. If you don't love it again straight away, set yourself some targets. Have a goal to work towards, do the same training rides regularly to measure progress and - even if you aren't loving it instantly, at least you're working towards something - even if it is just keeping the weight off.

If I still lived down there I'd go on rides with you. Maybe find a club and go out with them? Not a noddy club - a real one, with fast groups that you can get some real value out of going with, rather than two cake stops and a 16mph average over 40 miles :lol:
    I think a club with fast groups could be quite demoralising to someone lacking a bit of fitness and confidence. It's not unknown for them to be very cliquey.
    Get out for some early morning 50 milers til you get your fitness and road sense back, then maybe a club.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

I think a club with fast groups could be quite demoralising to someone lacking a bit of fitness and confidence. It's not unknown for them to be very cliquey.
    Get out for some early morning 50 milers til you get your fitness and road sense back, then maybe a club.
    Yeah I meant when he's up to speed. Knowing John Boy's history with cycling, he went out with clubs before and got utterly demoralised with how slow they were :lol:
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

I was going to say he could come out with me (and teach me a few things) but 40 miles? F**k that, I could do 2 cakes though.
    Be a lone wolf like me. Slow but longish. Think about a 50 mile run in maybe 4 months. You'd be well able for that and there are organised rides all over.
    Happy wheels.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Ha, I'd be well happy with a 16mph average at the moment Leroy!

I just need to get my confidence back again. Its almost 3 years to the day since I was knocked off twice in 2 days, first on Pilgrims Way when a white van drove towards me at high speed and I had no choice but to throw me and bike sideways into the bushes otherwise I would have been a goner...and the very next day just outside Welling Station when I was coming down the little hill and some berk didn't even see me. Once I've been out a couple of times I'm sure I'll be fine.

It's not just me though. The wife is more petrified I'll get hurt than I am lol.

Looking back at Garmin, 3 years ago this week I rode 200 and something miles over 3 rides averaging 18mph. Now if only I can get back to that level to start with...
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Ha, I'd be well happy with a 16mph average at the moment Leroy!

I just need to get my confidence back again. Its almost 3 years to the day since I was knocked off twice in 2 days, first on Pilgrims Way when a white van drove towards me at high speed and I had no choice but to throw me and bike sideways into the bushes otherwise I would have been a goner...and the very next day just outside Welling Station when I was coming down the little hill and some berk didn't even see me. Once I've been out a couple of times I'm sure I'll be fine.

It's not just me though. The wife is more petrified I'll get hurt than I am lol.

Looking back at Garmin, 3 years ago this week I rode 200 and something miles over 3 rides averaging 18mph. Now if only I can get back to that level to start with...

You'll get there. Faster than you think as well, because you've still got the base miles in your legs. What'll be difficult to get back is the real 'top end' (like when you sprint, or when you're in a group and someone puts a big turn on at the front and you feel yourself dropping off)

Best thing is that you get to the point where you start liking it again - get a couple of hour long rides in avoiding hills to start with
  • Options
    @JohnBoyUK
    Take heart!
    I went out at 5 this morning for 45 minutes. physically a few cobwebs, legs fine, lungs fine, groin and nether regions ok.

But mentally, fuck! No road `sharpness' at all. I'm going to stick to light traffic for a while .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Ironman 70.3 came came past my house yesterday morning on the cycling stage!

Some serious pieces of machinery on Show and their Speed was amazing.
  • Options
    Went out our usual Sunday spin yesterday. Intended to do 60 odd miles. Gave up after 15 as it was just too hot. Waited a while and then drifted back home.
  • Options
    I did two rides in it yesterday. Only totalled 50 miles, but felt like 200. Had a barbecue sandwiched between them, so all the beer completely negated any training benefit...
  • Options
    I did 51 on Friday, tried riding on Sunday and felt like my body was falling apart, horrible, few days getting hydrated again
  • Options
    Rothko said:

I did 51 on Friday, tried riding on Sunday and felt like my body was falling apart, horrible, few days getting hydrated again

I did 130 on Friday, but it was only about 20 degrees. Maybe in hindsight going out in Mancyland on Saturday night and getting mumm-ra'd wasn't ideal prep! No riding today though, and good job too, cis it's so close up here today it feels like walking through a rain shower outside
  • Options
    Did the London to Brighton Sunday, hotter than Beelzebub's ballsack, and Ditchling Beacon is a bastard, but a great ride and a great day
  • Options

The Ironman 70.3 came came past my house yesterday morning on the cycling stage!

Staffs? A friend did it and said it was unbelievably hot
  • Options
    Put in over 600k at the weekend to bed the new bike in. Kent - Somerset then back home. It was hot

Got two more weekends like that before I head off for the TCR. time on the bike ready I should be ready, route planning I'm well behind.

New bike is lovely apart from a few teething troubles.
  • Options
    Shame there's no realistic way to avoid mountains on the way to Turkey :)

Get yourself on Strava so I can see your progress - epic journeys are what Strava was made for!

Can you not pinch previous entrants' routes? There must be some out there from the past - that'll give you an idea of dangerous roads to avoid for instance - which would be the worst part of it for me
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Shame there's no realistic way to avoid mountains on the way to Turkey :)

Get yourself on Strava so I can see your progress - epic journeys are what Strava was made for!

Can you not pinch previous entrants' routes? There must be some out there from the past - that'll give you an idea of dangerous roads to avoid for instance - which would be the worst part of it for me

Got Strava - will PM you my profile.

Unfortunately can't reuse routes - route this year goes from Belgium to Greece with different controls. I won't be anywhere near the front of the pack though so there may be a bit of en route adjustment depending on where the leaders are heading.

Apart from dangerous roads, the biggest worry for me is getting enough fuel and knowing where i'll be able to resupply - with really good planning you can have a pretty good idea of distance between stops.

The extent of my route planning so far:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hahaha - that route looks perfectly planned to me :lol:

Will check you out in Strava and follow your tracking. I'd love to do it one day - but racing still takes up all my time at the minute. When I can't race any more (not that I'm any good now) I'll start doing all those long distance events I've wanted to do for years

Good luck with it - how well prepared do you think you are?
  • Options
    rina said:

Staffs? A friend did it and said it was unbelievably hot
    No, here in Luxembourg! But it was hot as well.

• Options
    Done nearly 70 miles on Sunday ended up outside the sweet shop at Eynsford on the floor cramp in both legs shaking with people pouring coke in me and other throwing flapjacks down me never felt anything like it it was a proper bonk
  • Options
    fatrob said:

Done nearly 70 miles on Sunday ended up outside the sweet shop at Eynsford on the floor cramp in both legs shaking with people pouring coke in me and other throwing flapjacks down me never felt anything like it it was a proper bonk

Aaaah the Bonk. Been a while since I had a visit from that bastard. Once did it literally halfway into an 80 miler, absolutely fucking miles from any shops or stations, with no gels or food on me. I just sat down by the side of the road and couldn't get up for about half an hour. Eventually crawled five miles or so to a corner shop and smashed about four bars of chocolate, two cans of full fat coke and a Mars drink...
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Only had it once and was entirely my own fault. I got up late to go out for a ride so only had a bowl of frosties instead of a proper breakfast.
    I think it took about 3 days to get back to normal.
  • Options
    I once spent £16 in Costa to get over the bonk. Riding back from Brighton with an hour of horrible headwind.
  • Options

Will check you out in Strava and follow your tracking. I'd love to do it one day - but racing still takes up all my time at the minute. When I can't race any more (not that I'm any good now) I'll start doing all those long distance events I've wanted to do for years

Not sure really - if you had asked me a few months ago I would have hoped to have been much more prepared, but life/work has got in the way more than I would have hoped.

It is what it is, i'm not riding to win, i'm riding to finish - and I think that's achievable.
  • Options
    olster said:

I once spent £16 in Costa to get over the bonk. Riding back from Brighton with an hour of horrible headwind.

Just a coffee and a muffin then?
  • Options
    olster said:

Not sure really - if you had asked me a few months ago I would have hoped to have been much more prepared, but life/work has got in the way more than I would have hoped.

It is what it is, i'm not riding to win, i'm riding to finish - and I think that's achievable.
    You'll have us willing you on.
  • Options
    Anyone fancy a CL ride soon?

Been out with @olster before but despite being a fat bastard, he left me for dead so hoping this may appeal to some of the steadier riders amongst us