Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    Not a great shot, but just before a spin in the Dolomites a couple of years back....started just north of Como and finished 5 days later in Venice....awesome fun... It's a Colnago M10, with Super Record groupset, Zipp 303s etc.. It would go really fast, but it has me sat on top....
  • Options
    My Rourke is long distance set up. Full custom Reynolds 853 frame, tubeless set up, ultegra groupset

Restrap luggage, full dynamo set up, aerobars for more hand positions.

Looking forward to after this summer when i'll put it back to being a normal bike.
  • Options

Not a great shot, but just before a spin in the Dolomites a couple of years back....started just north of Como and finished 5 days later in Venice....awesome fun... It's a Colnago M10, with Super Record groupset, Zipp 303s etc.. It would go really fast, but it has me sat on top....

Lovely bike. But nooooooooo! Drivetrain side to the front!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    olster said:

My Rourke is long distance set up. Full custom Reynolds 853 frame, tubeless set up, ultegra groupset

Looking forward to after this summer when i'll put it back to being a normal bike.

That's nice too. Must be comfortable - that amount of mileage consistently, day in day out would be brutal if it weren't. What's the saddle?

Love Cheddar Gorge - the descent is one of the best I've ever done - did it on Chase The Sun in 2015
  • Options
    The saddle looks like the original Flite Ti, the best imo.
  • Options

My Cube Agree. Think I bought it 2011. Full Ultegra. Got it for £1,400 knocked down from £1,890 at the time. Mavic Kysrium Elite wheels. Spend many hours in that saddle from 2011-2014 but then running took over my life.
  • Options
    Cannondale Evo Super Six 2015. Paid £1250 down from £1600.00.

Full SRAM Rival - would never go back to Shimano now.

Have ordered some blue bar tape and am considering a wheel upgrade. The fulcrum wheels are bomb proof and touch wood have been true for nearly 2 years. However, they are weighty and I'd like something a bit lighter.
  • Options

Have ordered some blue bar tape and am considering a wheel upgrade. The fulcrum wheels are bomb proof and touch wood have been true for nearly 2 years. However, they are weighty and I'd like something a bit lighter.

I do love that paint job - it's absolutely mint. Out of interest, why SRAM? I've tested it before and didn't find any real difference between it and Shimano - other than mistakenly shifting down instead of up when I got a bit knackered 3+ hours into a ride
  • Options

olster said:

That's nice too. Must be comfortable - that amount of mileage consistently, day in day out would be brutal if it weren't. What's the saddle?

Love Cheddar Gorge - the descent is one of the best I've ever done - did it on Chase The Sun in 2015
    Yeah @Clem_Snide is right - it's a Flite Ti.

Tbh, I haven't yet got the fit completely right yet which is worrying.

Yeah, that photo is from cycling back after coming down from Chase the Sun the day before. Enjoyed bits of CTS - but coming through London was pointless & ruined it really. That descent was incredible though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2017

I do love that paint job - it's absolutely mint. Out of interest, why SRAM? I've tested it before and didn't find any real difference between it and Shimano - other than mistakenly shifting down instead of up when I got a bit knackered 3+ hours into a ride
    Just found it infinitely more reliable. Just doesn't go wrong. I've owned the bike nearly two years and done I would guess around 5000 - 5500 miles, the gears have been adjusted once, the chain replaced and that is it. I also love the double click shifting.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    The bike I did the Ring of Kerry on. A Sirrus Elite from 2007. Badly looked after since I left Ireland as it's just left in a shed until the 2 or 3 times I get to Ireland. But reliable and solid.
  • Options
    @Olster when do you set off? Will we get updates. I so admire what you're doing.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    My mate did a 100 mile challenge down at the New Forest at the weekend. Took him 5 hours 20, which I guess is a good time?
  • Options

My mate did a 100 mile challenge down at the New Forest at the weekend. Took him 5 hours 20, which I guess is a good time?

Sounds good to me. But I'm a plodder on the bike.
  • Options
    That's a decent average. My fastest 100 miles is 4 hrs 35 at Ride London, but there are really only three hills on it with just under 3000 feet of climbing. I'm guessing the New Forest ride was hillier than that!
  • Options
    iainment said:

@Olster when do you set off? Will we get updates. I so admire what you're doing.

Cheers @iainment

Leave Geraardsbergen in Belgium at 10pm on 28th July. I'll post all the tracking details etc up here once I get them.
  • Options
    Are you starting on the Kappelmuur? Absolutely loved that on the ToF this year
  • Options

Are you starting on the Kappelmuur? Absolutely loved that on the ToF this year

yeah. Will attack off the front from the go ;-)
  • Options
    Don't go too early - difficult making it stick with 2500 miles to go... :lol::lol::lol:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Done the Velothon Wales at the weekend one of the best sportives around and on closed roads definitely doing it again next year
  • Options
    Amazing what some new tyres and bar tape can do for a bike. Looks like new. Love the blue bar tape.

Replaced the chain and casette and now have an issue with the chain slipping off the big ring when under a big load. Any bike mechanics have an idea why this would suddenly start happening? Its fine on the small ring, but I hate riding on that unless I am riding up a vertical hill.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Check for play in your cranks. Could be the bottom bracket (if it's a press fit it's quite common - press fit BB is the worst thing ever invented on a bike). If you can 'wiggle' the cranks more than a millimetre, service or replace the BB

Failing that, how many miles on the chainrings? Check for wear (the teeth will look like shark fins if they're worn - Google it for an explanation if you're not familiar with it). Not likely, because most chainrings will give you at least 25000 miles, unless you ride them with a chain that's stretched badly for months

Also have a look and see if one of the teeth on the big ring is bent. I badly smashed my bike up in a crit last year, got everything fixed that needed it and replaced everything that was broken, but I kept having a similar issue to the one you describe for weeks afterwards - every time I got out the saddle to sprint I could feel it about to spit down (a couple of times it did spit down, and nearly binned me off) when I took a look at the chainring closely, one of the teeth was bent - only a millimetre or so, but enough that when I got it up on a bike stand and simulated force I could see it start to 'jump' on that one tooth. Replaced and everything was fine.
  • Options

Also have a look and see if one of the teeth on the big ring is bent. I badly smashed my bike up in a crit last year, got everything fixed that needed it and replaced everything that was broken, but I kept having a similar issue to the one you describe for weeks afterwards - every time I got out the saddle to sprint I could feel it about to spit down (a couple of times it did spit down, and nearly binned me off) when I took a look at the chainring closely, one of the teeth was bent - only a millimetre or so, but enough that when I got it up on a bike stand and simulated force I could see it start to 'jump' on that one tooth. Replaced and everything was fine.

This. I had this about 3/4 years ago. Had one slightly bent tooth and it was throwing the chain off regularly. Other than that, check your quick link if you've got one on your chain. Is it locked properly? if not, that 2-3mm extra length it gives in the chain is enough to make it go bonkers
  • Options

Check for play in your cranks. Could be the bottom bracket (if it's a press fit it's quite common - press fit BB is the worst thing ever invented on a bike). If you can 'wiggle' the cranks more than a millimetre, service or replace the BB

Failing that, how many miles on the chainrings? Check for wear (the teeth will look like shark fins if they're worn - Google it for an explanation if you're not familiar with it). Not likely, because most chainrings will give you at least 25000 miles, unless you ride them with a chain that's stretched badly for months

Cheers, have had the BB looked at and its fine. No play in the cranks either. Will check the teeth when I get in.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I've forgotten how much I love riding my bike.

Currently soaking in the bath after a brisk 42 miles in the lanes. Not far nor fast compared to what I was capable of 3-4 years ago but blimey, well happy with that.

Having said that, had totally forgot what its like to cramp riding up a hill lol. Ouch. Collapsed at the top pissing myself laughing. Think I've got the bug back now :)

Yessssss!

Start racing now. You're only 12 points from Cat 3! :lol:
  • Options

Amazing what some new tyres and bar tape can do for a bike. Looks like new. Love the blue bar tape.

Replaced the chain and casette and now have an issue with the chain slipping off the big ring when under a big load. Any bike mechanics have an idea why this would suddenly start happening? Its fine on the small ring, but I hate riding on that unless I am riding up a vertical hill.

I assume that was you I saw go flying past Ebbsfleet football ground at 9 this morning mate?
  • Options
    buckshee said:

I assume that was you I saw go flying past Ebbsfleet football ground at 9 this morning mate?
    Time fits. Left home at just before 8.30.

Were you riding, driving or walking? Didn't notice you at all.