Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    #FakeNews
  • Options
    Nah - just #notfunny :smiley:
  • Options
    This may have been covered else where in this thread, but why do so many cyclists think that skipping red lights is an acceptable thing to do? When I worked up town I saw it every single day.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

This may have been covered else where in this thread, but why do so many cyclists think that skipping red lights is an acceptable thing to do? When I worked up town I saw it every single day.

I see cars do it every day. But hey that means nothing.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Why do motorists think that exceeding the speed limit is an acceptable thing to do? I see it every day on my commute.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

This isn't the thread. Please take it elsewhere. Ta.
  • Options
    In two weeks I'm off on a mini break cycling for 4 days in St Gervais near Mont Blanc. Sounds great I hear you say.... Only problem is I'm unfit and just got back from my all inclusive training camp "Club de San Miguel" in Majorca! I'm nowhere near where I need to be fitness wise.

I'm in desperate need of a two week training plan to get those legs spinning uphill again. Most I've done so far this year is 55 miles out on the saddle at an average of 16.5mph. Sounds like nothing compared to this time last year where I was cycling 90+ training for my charity event from London to Monaco. Amazing how quick the fitness goes..!

Anyway, considering most of my training last year was just brutal and intense endurance rides, does anyone have any training tips for hill climbing where I can notice a visible difference in 5/6 rides. Was thinking of just heading out to Toys Hill and climbing / descending 3/4 times then heading back to Dartford way...
  • Options
    heavenSE7 said:

In two weeks I'm off on a mini break cycling for 4 days in St Gervais near Mont Blanc. Sounds great I hear you say.... Only problem is I'm unfit and just got back from my all inclusive training camp "Club de San Miguel" in Majorca! I'm nowhere near where I need to be fitness wise.

I'm in desperate need of a two week training plan to get those legs spinning uphill again. Most I've done so far this year is 55 miles out on the saddle at an average of 16.5mph. Sounds like nothing compared to this time last year where I was cycling 90+ training for my charity event from London to Monaco. Amazing how quick the fitness goes..!

Anyway, considering most of my training last year was just brutal and intense endurance rides, does anyone have any training tips for hill climbing where I can notice a visible difference in 5/6 rides. Was thinking of just heading out to Toys Hill and climbing / descending 3/4 times then heading back to Dartford way...

Thr only advice i can think of is don't go nuts in the two weeks and injure yourself and totally ruin your trip.
  • Options
    jamescafc said:

Any chance I can pinch your route?

Sort of made it up as I went along.

Sidcup to Greenhithe via Crayford and the Dartford Bridge.
    Greenhithe to Gravesend via Ebbsfleet FC and the Station Car Parks
    Gravesend to Chatham
    At Chatham pick up the A2 and pass through Rainham, Sittingbourne and Faversham
    Left onto I think the A299 (bit hairy) turn off for Seasalter and then signs to Whitstable.
    Whitstable to Herne Bay
    Herne bay to Reculver
    Reculver to Margate via Innis Bay and Westgate (Viking Coastal Path)
  • Options

jamescafc said:

Gravesend to Chatham
    Left onto I think the A299 (bit hairy) turn off for Seasalter and then signs to Whitstable.
    Whitstable to Herne Bay
    Herne bay to Reculver
    Should also add the bit where you cry a little coming out of Chatham up that hill
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

heavenSE7 said:

Thr only advice i can think of is don't go nuts in the two weeks and injure yourself and totally ruin your trip.
    That's sound advice. TBH @heavenSE7 it's not something you're going to want to hear, but the best you can hope for in two weeks is to get to the point where you can get up the climbs without destroying yourself. If you're not looking to pull up any trees, and just get your legs used to hills, then two weeks is long enough for that. Heading out Toys way, it's probably less soul destroying to do four different climbs, as opposed to going up/down Toys four times. I'd do this:

Spin out to Westerham, go up Hosey (nice gentle climb after a steep start), down the other side to Crockham Hill (fast descent, but smooth) and Four Elms, back up Toys (horrible climb, never get into a rhythm and the road surface is shocking), down to Brasted (moody descent, especially if wet), back up to Ide Hill (regulation hill), down to Bough Beech (another fast descent) then back up Yorks (hahaha - if you've never done it before, you'll know what that means when you get to it), down to Chipstead & Dunton Green (looooong, smooth descent), up Starhill (grind) then down Brasted Hill (technical) onto Pilgrims Way and back down to finish in Westerham at Deli di Luca (coffffeeeee... :smiley: )

Like this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/21693440
  • Options
    Rothko said:

jamescafc said:

Gravesend to Chatham
    Whitstable to Herne Bay
    Herne bay to Reculver
    Should also add the bit where you cry a little coming out of Chatham up that hill
    Yeah, that hill is a bugger.
  • Options
    iainment said:

PopIcon said:

Its also wrong that motorists do it, they too are massive bellends. You guys don't need to be so defensive. My point is valid, why do so many cyclists think it's acceptable to skip red lights?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

iainment said:

PopIcon said:

Its also wrong that motorists do it, they too are massive bellends. You guys don't need to be so defensive. My point is valid, why do so many cyclists think it's acceptable to skip red lights?
    I've asked once, don't want to have to ask again. Please not on this thread. Thanks
  • Options
    Anybody else doing the Tour of Cambridge this weekend?
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

iainment said:

PopIcon said:

Rather than coming on a thread and deliberately looking for a bite, why not ask the next cyclist who you see doing it.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

iainment said:

PopIcon said:

Probably the same reason car drivers break road rules.
  • Options

PopIcon said:

iainment said:

PopIcon said:

Rather than coming on a thread and deliberately looking for a bite, why not ask the next cyclist who you see doing it.
    iainment said:

PopIcon said:

iainment said:

PopIcon said:

Probably the same reason car drivers break road rules.
    That goes for you two as well! No arguing here please. There's enough of that shit all over the Internet - it'll end up like the Daily Mail comments section in here otherwise :)

Cheers
  • Options
    Not doing Tour of Cambridge but am cycling from Geneva to Nice over 6 days from week after next... Usually do a similar trip each year (Pyrenees last year)....usually get by OK...this year am not so sure...the 312 really took it out of me and I didn't ride a bike for the first 3 weeks of May...now I realise that I have 2 weeks approx til the mountains and am 'not quite there' fitness wise...oh dear. Apparently our route this year takes us up the Col De Finestre, which looks bloody terrifying...not least cos the last 8km are at 10%+ and are on gravel....anyone done it? If so, any tips???

(BTW: especially for @Clem_Snide - my mate's son became the youngest person to cycle from London to Paris yesterday...9 years old..story here: http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/nine-year-old-boy-who-climbed-the-col-du-tourmalet-in-2016-adds-london-paris-to-his-palmares-333405 )
  • Options
    Along the subject of red lights (sorry Leroy!), I encountered a cyclist with a novel way of dealing with a red light today at Whitechapel.

He saw the lights changing, so he slowed right down and dismounted then walked through the pedestrian crossing with his bike then remounted the other side, almost like how the tri guys do it in transition and was well away before the lights changed again.

Technically he didnt ride through and only did as much as someone crossing the road. Haven't seen that before but good bit of genius thinking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2017
    PopIcon said:

No idea, I never do that. If I am cycling I obey the lights.

I do in my car and I do also on my motorbike. Some of us follow the majority of Road laws. (I do go 80 on the motorway though)

You have to remember most ROAD laws are there for SAFETY purposes.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Along the subject of red lights (sorry Leroy!), I encountered a cyclist with a novel way of dealing with a red light today at Whitechapel.

He saw the lights changing, so he slowed right down and dismounted then walked through the pedestrian crossing with his bike then remounted the other side, almost like how the tri guys do it in transition and was well away before the lights changed again.

Technically he didnt ride through and only did as much as someone crossing the road. Haven't seen that before but good bit of genius thinking.

Here in Massachusetts that's how the law works. If you're riding, you're a vehicle so riding with the pedestrian light is illegal. But if you get off and walk you're a pedestrian pushing a bike.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I used to do this quite often on my commute if I knew the junction I was approaching, and the lights were just changing. up by Tooley Street and tower bridge, if you are coming along tooley street you always know that the pedestrians go once the lights change, and there is so much time to get off walk and remount, it seems silly to sit and wait the 2 minutes for the bridge traffic to be stopped again.

No law broken - Not riding the lights, but yes slightly cheeky
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

I did this all the time when commuting in central london. you get to know the junctions to do it at, certainly beats waiting 2 minutes at a red light
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Tour of Cambridgeshire was much faster than last year. Qualified for the amateur worlds in France later this year, so was pretty pleased - but the riding was pretty poor in places, with most seemingly unable to ride a road race, despite needing a race license to ride in the race gates. Crosswinds on the fens were grim at times - and only once managed to form the group I was with into an echelon (shame we dropped four Belgian lads before we got there, they'd have been used to it!)
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Is that along CS2?
    I think I've seen that a few times. Clever indeed as you can be sat there at the crossroad waiting for some time.
    What a route though.
    The amount of people walking into the cycle lane without looking is actually something else. Think I did 6 months solid of commuting that way and had only 4 or 5 rides without seeing or being involved in some sort of incident.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Is that along CS2?
    I think I've seen that a few times. Clever indeed as you can be sat there at the crossroad waiting for some time.
    What a route though.
    The amount of people walking into the cycle lane without looking is actually something else. Think I did 6 months solid of commuting that way and had only 4 or 5 rides without seeing or being involved in some sort of incident.
    Yep, used to ride it myself, picking it up at Algate and then heading east to QMUL at Mile End. Absolute b@stard of a route, what with the CS lane going behind some of the bus stops and bus passengers not looking either way when getting off the bus.
  • Options

jamescafc said:

Gravesend to Chatham
    Whitstable to Herne Bay
    Herne bay to Reculver
    I occasionaly cycle to Canterbury for work... Next time if you take the last left before the Brenley Corner roundabout - just after Faversham - you can ride all the way to Seasalter without taking the A299. If you miss the left just take the first left on Brenley Corner roundabout; a little lane called Homestall Lane directly before the on ramp for the A299. You'll also then go past a pub called the Freewheel near Graveney, catering specifically for cyclists.
  • Options
    Leroy, good luck in the world's, when is it?