Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Official CL weekend Lycra warriors thread (cycling)

Comments

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

@DaveMehmet, there's a cycling club based at Eltham Park called Limited Edition Cycling and they run a great 'fit camp' a few times a year which works at getting beginner cyclists on the road and then builds up their confidence.

I used to ride with them about 6-7 years ago now and they were a decent bunch and would recommend them for beginners. However, once you get up to speed, you'll find they dont cater as much for the advanced cyclist but they'll do you ok up to that point.

JohnBoyUK said:

My daughter passed her bikeability last week at school. She's been regularly riding with her Mum and her Grandparents over the last year and is now confident enough on the roads and in the lanes. I said I'd try and get out with her a bit more too.

Nice one, will give them a try. My wife's just bought herself a bike too so we're all looking to go out together.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

@DaveMehmet, there's a cycling club based at Eltham Park called Limited Edition Cycling and they run a great 'fit camp' a few times a year which works at getting beginner cyclists on the road and then builds up their confidence.

I used to ride with them about 6-7 years ago now and they were a decent bunch and would recommend them for beginners. However, once you get up to speed, you'll find they dont cater as much for the advanced cyclist but they'll do you ok up to that point.

JohnBoyUK said:

My daughter passed her bikeability last week at school. She's been regularly riding with her Mum and her Grandparents over the last year and is now confident enough on the roads and in the lanes. I said I'd try and get out with her a bit more too.

Nice one, will give them a try. My wife's just bought herself a bike too so we're all looking to go out together.
    Limited Edition will be great for the pair of you in that case. Happy to recommend them, they do a lot of good in the community.
  • Options
    Have just be introduced to proper cyclists cramp for the first time. Much hotter today than expected. Holy shit that is painful. 3 miles out of Ramsgate and 88 miles in I had to turn back for Ramsgate Station. 91 miles ain't too shabby though. Have just drunk 1.5l of water, 500ml diet coke and cained a family size pack of Fruit Pastels. Will try again next week, slow down a bit and drink more.
  • Options
    Clem - the diet coke won't do you any good. If you've bonked, get sugar (and salt) inside you ASAP. Especially if you're cramping. Good ride though 90 miles is nowt to be sniffed at!
  • Options

Clem - the diet coke won't do you any good. If you've bonked, get sugar (and salt) inside you ASAP. Especially if you're cramping. Good ride though 90 miles is nowt to be sniffed at!

Nuun tabs are good and much more water.
  • Options
    Going to try the High 5 tablets. I sweat like a pig so need to do something to counteract that. Will start drinking at more regular intervals. I don't tend to drink until I'm really thirsty and often by then its too late to prevent a blow up.
  • Options

Going to try the High 5 tablets. I sweat like a pig so need to do something to counteract that. Will start drinking at more regular intervals. I don't tend to drink until I'm really thirsty and often by then its too late to prevent a blow up.

have you considered something like a camelback for long hot rides?
  • Options

Thought about it, but I'm a lazy sod and they need cleaning properly and regularly. Much easier to clean water bottles.
  • Options

Thought about it, but I'm a lazy sod and they need cleaning properly and regularly. Much easier to clean water bottles.
    yeah, that's why i don't have one.
  • Options
    Nice view at Reculver today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So we're doing our usual Plumstead to Rochester ride tomorrow. And next week to Canterbury building up to the 180k Ring of Kerry in a week or two.
    And them hopefully the 300k Greenwich Mean Climb in September.
  • Options
    One of my daughters friends had a somewhat lucky escape over the weekend. She clipped a curve and went sideways. Ended up having to have the brake lever surgically removed from her thigh after the ambulance called the fire brigade to cut the lever off of the bike with an angle grinder. Yuck!
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

One of my daughters friends had a somewhat lucky escape over the weekend. She clipped a curve and went sideways. Ended up having to have the brake lever surgically removed from her thigh after the ambulance called the fire brigade to cut the lever off of the bike with an angle grinder. Yuck!

Yeeesh. How hell did that happen? Must have been extraordinarily painful, and a hell of an impact for an essentially blunt piece of metal to go into a thigh? Ouch.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Yeeesh. How hell did that happen? Must have been extraordinarily painful, and a hell of an impact for an essentially blunt piece of metal to go into a thigh? Ouch.
    Absolutely no idea, but the photograph that my daugther was sent made me feel a bit squeamish to say the least :(
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

ouch. was she wearing a helmet though?
  • Options

Is that a Synapse? That's mint looking - love the blue. Although, egregious violation of rule #8 - would look much better with matching bar tape and bottle cages :lol:

• Options

Is that a Synapse? That's mint looking - love the blue. Although, egregious violation of rule #8 - would look much better with matching bar tape and bottle cages :lol:

No it is a 2015 Evo Super Six. It is the SRAM rival version which didn't sell in huge numbers - no idea why, as you say the colour is lovely.

Saddle is after market, I need the bar tape doing and am actually going to have it done blue.

Have a day off work tomorrow and am planning on doing Sidcup to Hastings via Rye. Has anyone done this route - looks to be predominantly A20. Will stick it in the Garmin, but was wondering what its like hill wise? Going to be warm tomorrow and am recovering from the cramp attack Saturday and don't want anything too strenuous.
  • Options
    Done Rye to Hastings a lot. The 259 can be a bit hairy. The road through Winchelsea beach, Pett Level is nicer but with a steep climb into Fairlight.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a bit of a fucker that! It should get slightly easier the more you go up them, but you just end up going up them faster so doesn't really!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've worn a hole in my pannier rack!
    Plastic mountings on my Ortlieb bag rubbing against aluminium. The plastic unaffected, the aluminium in tatters. So until I can afford a new rack the bag goes on the left side.
  • Options
    Just ordered myself two new Conti GP4000s, a new chain and rear cassette.
    Looks like I'll be back on my bike sooner rather than later. Sigh.

Just coming up to 14 months since I ran the London Marathon and I'm still fcuked because of it. Just cant put together more than 2-3 runs of 5k together where my groin isn't sore. Regretfully now looks like my running days are over so I've got no choice but to get back on the bike otherwise I'm going to be the size of a house very quickly. Hopefully on that first spin, I'll get the bug back again like I did a few years ago and I'm able to get back to the bike fitness levels I had then otherwise I'm going to find it very frustrating.
  • Options
    Do you know what the groin problem is?
  • Options

Do you know what the groin problem is?

Tbh, not really. Physio first diagnosed it as a hip flexor problem but then decided it was a likely hernia on further examination so recommended I had an ultrasound. Ultrasound doctor said I had a double hernia. Have since been examined by two surgeons with a MRI scan that have both said I dont have a double hernia and it would have been a small tear of one of my groin muscles and nothing more. Saw a chiropractor for an ongoing back problem and he said my pelvis was out of line with my spine and thus the discomfort. I've been seeing the chiropractor twice a week for the last four months and although the problem is much better that it was this time last year, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still sore after going for a run. Frustrating to say the least.
  • Options
    I had similar problems that turned out to be prostatis.
    I've been doing Pilates for a while now to loosen me up and i can recommend it.
  • Options
    Off to google prostatis...WTF is that when its a home lol.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Blimey, don't think its that. I had a colonoscopy done in the last 6 months (see the Piles thread) and surely that would have picked up on that? Might be worth mentioning to the experts next time I see them.
  • Options
    iainment said:

I've worn a hole in my pannier rack!
    Plastic mountings on my Ortlieb bag rubbing against aluminium. The plastic unaffected, the aluminium in tatters. So until I can afford a new rack the bag goes on the left side.

I'm pretty sure i've got a spare rack in the cellar that you can have (for nothing). I'll check tonight.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Blimey, don't think its that. I had a colonoscopy done in the last 6 months (see the Piles thread) and surely that would have picked up on that? Might be worth mentioning to the experts next time I see them.
    I spelt it wrong, prostatitis. Caused by an infection.