Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Getting married on Sunday... what's your one bit of advice for a happy marriage?

Comments

• just don't do as she says and you will be alright
  • Have a hobby that is absolutely nothing to do with her (as well as going to football)
    Don't forget your mates - you need to go out for beers regularly
    Buy a dishwasher if you can afford one
    Buy a pair of sunglasses or get very, very good at having a quick glance around you when the sun is out...

Have a great day.

Genius, absolute genius.

• For a happy marriage get Sky+

For a very happy marriage get Sky+ multiroom

This

• How tall is she?
  • Off_it said:

JWADDICK said:

Off_it said:

Why does a bride smile when she walks down the aisle .............. you know the rest.

Brides never walk down the aisle. The aisle in a Church runs along each side and in fact Brides are always taken down the central passage.
    Taken many brides up the central passage have you?
    Been to the boozer Cabron ?

^
  • Communicate
    Compromise
    Oh, and if you want something that's important to you, wait until you've given her one before asking
  • Off_it said:

Off_it said:

Off_it said:

1. Never tell a lie, not even a white one.
    2. Let her have her opinions.
    3. Always remember she's not your possession.
    4. Never play down or make jokes about menstruation.
    5. Be the best friend she's ever had.

I'm not your average macho geezer so realize these rules can be tough for some. I wish you everything you wish yourself. Have a great day.

Tell me, how long have you been married?

With those values you may as well add ;

6. let her walk all over you and treat you like a c*** - because that's what will happen with that attitude.
    My third marriage ended three years ago when my wife left me for another (more macho) man...same with the first two, so maybe I should have applied these rules back then. My present gf never lies to me, isn't opinionated, spends most of her time with me, doesn't flirt with other men and is definately the best friend I've ever had.

ps. All three ex wives have asked to come back.
    I rest my case, m'lud.
    You have no case, as in my three marriages I was a selfish self opinionated arsehole.
    Nice edit.
    Was editing as you were posting, but you can be the winner if you like as I'm off to do some DIY stuff.
  • McBobbin said:

JWADDICK said:

My present gf never lies to me, isn't opinionated, spends most of her time with me, doesn't flirt with other men and is definately the best friend I've ever had.

My guidelines that you so thoughtlessly damned were born out of my f*ck ups.

Are you sure your present gf isn't actually a bloke :)
    that was going to be my advice^

She is quite blokey...interests are football, tennis, cars, playing drums etc.
  • Don't let your wife eat the wedding cake. In my experience , once they eat it they turn into their mothers.
  • Sponsored links:

• 1. Find a job that involves a ridiculous amount of travel

2. Convince her why that job is perfect for her

• No moaning and always see the positives.

good luck !!

Good advice, Golfie.

;o)

• edited September 2013
    Off_it said:

6. let her walk all over you and treat you like a c*** - because that's what will happen with that attitude.

If you read the "Kit car" thread I think you'll find that my foolhardy rules have worked quite well. A gift like that is evidence enough that I've got it right this time.

• start as you mean to go on, if you have to compromise too much (a little give and take doesn't hurt) then its not right
  • I wish I had followed the advice I am about to give you. However trust me, what I am about to say will give your marriage a chance, but it ought to be an absolute priority.
    Every day, and an appropriate time, say about 5.20pm, both of you sit down together uninterrupted with a cup of tea. Then spend 20 minutes, each of you telling the other about their day. However boring your partners day sounds, or yours sounds to them, still listen, pay attention, take an interest.
    Never waver from this routine, ever.
  • seth plum said:

I wish I had followed the advice I am about to give you. However trust me, what I am about to say will give your marriage a chance, but it ought to be an absolute priority.
    Every day, and an appropriate time, say about 5.20pm, both of you sit down together uninterrupted with a cup of tea. Then spend 20 minutes, each of you telling the other about their day. However boring your partners day sounds, or yours sounds to them, still listen, pay attention, take an interest.

was going to ask why 5.20pm but then I realised there's nothing on tv at that time. neighbours starts at half five and the chase is a pile of shit.
  • seth plum said:

I wish I had followed the advice I am about to give you. However trust me, what I am about to say will give your marriage a chance, but it ought to be an absolute priority.

I just shuddered at the thought of having to undertake this 20 minutes of torture.
  • 1905 said:

seth plum said:

I just shuddered at the thought of having to undertake this 20 minutes of torture.
    Agreed. It sounds horrendous.
  • Don't marry a woman who hates sport! This my friend is genuine not like some of the p--- takers above!
  • Sponsored links:

• Give and take.

You give and she takes.

Seriously, give and take.
  • After that stag do remember honesty is not the best policy
  • edited September 2013

seth plum said:

was going to ask why 5.20pm but then I realised there's nothing on tv at that time. neighbours starts at half five and the chase is a pile of shit.
    Thanks for your support :0)
  • Jesus Seth, I can't think of anything more painful!

• you should treat your wife like a princess.

It's funny because it's true
  • Mosscat said:

you should treat your wife like a princess.

What, have her topped by the SAS? Allegedly.

• Bubble said:

For a happy marriage get Sky+

It's funny because it's true
    Hilarious, all you wimps under the thumb!

Get a grip eh.
  • Try, if you can, to marry a woman with small hands.
  • Jesus Seth, I can't think of anything more painful!

Yeah but.
    You may have to endure talk about something really boring to you, but has exercised her mind and actions that day.
    And she has to listen to your equally boring drivel about cancelled trains, and the office idiot and so on.
    People can have stressful days, and need to unload and share, even if their agendas differ. Who knows it may even be a positive experience.
    Or you can both bottle it all up I suppose.