Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Powells Contract (ed. Rumours of new contract)

Comments

• Options

A new contract will makes things seem more secure. It may help bring loans to the club and the perceived stability may improve performance on the pitch. I would expect there to be clauses which enable a parting of the ways in summer / before on terms not dissimilar to those which would be the case under the current contract.

Whether a new contract is signed or not, the reality of the situation is that an improvement of results is needed and soon. Failure to improve on results will possibly result in the termination of CP's contract (new / old). A repeat of the Doncaster performance may bring matters to a head.

• Options
    2pm the press conference
  • Options
    Powell is part of the press conference, so I would expect its resolved
  • Options

What time is the press conference

2 O CLOCK get there early though gonna be a big crowd
  • Options

A new contract will makes things seem more secure. It may help bring loans to the club and the perceived stability may improve performance on the pitch. I would expect there to be clauses which enable a parting of the ways in summer / before on terms not dissimilar to those which would be the case under the current contract.

Whether a new contract is signed or not, the reality of the situation is that an improvement of results is needed and soon. Failure to improve on results will possibly result in the termination of CP's contract (new / old). A repeat of the Doncaster performance may bring matters to a head.

Or maybe RD is thinking longer term (makes sense if you want to develop young signings and academy players) and even if we're relegated he'll keep his job and be given a chance to bring us back up.

If RD was looking to sack him based on a few bad results surely he'd have done it by now.

I can't see him being given a new contract just to see if it helps improve performances. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a longer deal until 2016 or 2017 rather than a years extension, with Powell given time to rebuild a stronger squad.
  • Options
    I do wonder if KM has anything to say in influencing her boss on this - for the most part CP has more fans than detractors I would say, and even those who are unhappy with current form acknowledge there have been mitigating factors, with the main point of debate being just how handicapped Powell has been cf: his own personal contribution to our current woes. But he is a very charismatic and popular man, not only amongst Charlton fans but in the football world he is very highly thought of - in fact if you need good PR then having Chris Powell on your books is a smart move.
  • Options
    Only at Charlton is failure rewarded so handsomely. Parkinson was given the job after a trial period in which he failed to win a single game; apparently Powell is to be endorsed after winning only five of 28 games this miserable season. Duchatelet has admitted he got things wrong by alienating the fans at Liege, but this looks like inaction to me. If we are relegated with Powell as manager, Duchatelet will have been negligent in not giving a new man a dozen games to keep us up.
  • Options
    I do intend to agree with Viewfinder except that if relegated he could be the man to lead us back up. Whether the new contract will mean more exciting football, more goals scored, more matches won is another matter. Will it also mean him learning from his mistakes I wonder. Also, there will likely be a relegation clause so although it will appear to suggest stablility in reality it won't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

timing is weird to say the least. Why not give CP a contract till the end of the season from Day 1 ? why not sack him pre the Jan clear out ? why leave it till we are shopping at Primart to make the offer. It looks like its just the news conference bollox.

Why would RD give him a contract till the rest of the season .. When he is currently contracted till the end of the season
  • Options
    Dannoo_86 said:

Only at Charlton is failure rewarded so handsomely. Parkinson was given the job after a trial period in which he failed to win a single game; apparently Powell is to be endorsed after winning only five of 28 games this miserable season. Duchatelet has admitted he got things wrong by alienating the fans at Liege, but this looks like inaction to me. If we are relegated with Powell as manager, Duchatelet will have been negligent in not giving a new man a dozen games to keep us up.

Where was we before we had Powell? In league one with no hope. Look what Powell has achieved with hardly anything all he needs is a bit of backing from Roland and our support. I'd rather stick with Powell than have another dowie, parky or reed.
    Sensible post
  • Options

Luzons contract at Liege is up at the end of the season... Maybe a swap deal will be announced?

Genuinely wouldn't surprise me if Luzon ends up managing Charlton one day.
  • Options

I'd like to hear it from a couple more sources first but promising news indeed!
    How about today's Daily Mirror "Avram Grant on standby to return to management at Charlton as new owner R.D. worries about relegation". Thoughts anyone? Or maybe a new thread?
  • Options

How has he failed exactly? Is it the league title with record points or taking a League One squad to ninth in The Championship last season? We're down to the bare bones this season. We've been playing a fifth choice centre back at left back, we lost Yann, Stephens, Alnwick and Stewart this season as well as big players from last year like Fuller. It will take time to rebuild the team. Even Ferguson at Utd had seasons without relative success when he was rebuilding. It's the part of the process. I'm not comparing Powell to Ferguson by the way...
  • Options
    cafc_will said:

Dannoo_86 said:

Where was we before we had Powell? In league one with no hope. Look what Powell has achieved with hardly anything all he needs is a bit of backing from Roland and our support. I'd rather stick with Powell than have another dowie, parky or reed.
    Sensible post
    Apart from the grammer :-)

• Options
    RR - if you are talking Lennon then he's played 2 games. We have had Yann and Stephens all season except the last league game. Alnwick wasn't first choice and has played a handful of games. Stewart was a loannee and didn't exactly set the world on fire. For me your arguement doesn't hold water.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Powell has had more successes than failures in every respect of his tenure as far as I'm concerned - more hits than misses in the transfer window, and his achievements are more notable than his shortcomings, many of which were foisted on him by other factors in fairness. If RD decided that he wanted a new broom and new ideas, I would understand his logic and back the new manager... BUT if he sticks with Powell and backs him properly, then we will go on to better things for sure. Stick or twist, I'm glad it's not me who has to make that call... I just hope RD follows through to the end, either way.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

He's only failed if we get relegated this season.

What were you're expectations? For me our only aim this season is survival and we still have a chance to achieve that.

Talk of play-offs or attractive exciting football isn't realistic when you're having to sign players with the ability of Church, Sordell etc. Hard workers of limited ability and perhaps more talented but unreliable players that a team in the same division doesn't want. We've also kept the likes of Green and Evina rather than improving on them.

Sort out the pitch and sign more and better attacking players and we'll play better football and bring on more threatening subs. Suddenly Powell will look like a good manager. Some are expecting the quality of the football and results to improve and the club to progress. That can't happen under any manager when the squad and pitch have been getting worse.
    This, all day. You can't polish a turd.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Always a big problem with media events . . . to get the media to turn up at Charlton you have to give them a big steer on what it's about. As I said before, meeting RD six weeks after his takeover was announced won't cut it on its own for most of the national media. But if you tell them why they should come then some of them will report the news before the event happens (and often they still don't turn up!). There's no easy solution.

And of course CP should get a new contract, based on his record, as well as his potential as a relatively young manager. Big plus for RD, too.
  • Options
    Just hope they announce he gets a new contract and not the dreaded vote of confidence
  • Options
    We urgently need some stability, not least to give ourselves the best possible chance of extricating ourselves from the bottom three.

I would expect any contract to provide for Chris' remuneration to be reduced in the event of relegation, given the harsh economics of League 1.

• Options
    If CP is offered a new contract then it only really makes sense that RD is happy to play the long game with us and relegation, whilst not desirable, is willing to be risked for what he sees to be the long term good. Maybe he also sees and accepts the problems that CP has had this year as some of us do which gives him the benefit of support that any other manager in the same position with same results would not be given. If so then RD is now up in my estimations. But then I s'pose it also depends on what RD's plans are for us within his empire. Hopefully that will be answered soon.

Either way I just want a definite signed or sacked so we can all move on.

• Options
    waldo said:

How about today's Daily Mirror "Avram Grant on standby to return to management at Charlton as new owner R.D. worries about relegation". Thoughts anyone? Or maybe a new thread?
    Have you seen that in today's Mirror?

I haven't seen a copy but the only source I can find for that quote is this football news roundup site (which also contains the Telegraph tweet about a new contract for CP):

http://www.teamtalk.com/papertalk/9174707/Paper-Talk-United-to-enter-Kroos-control

The quote is not on the Mirrors football web page:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/

• Options
    waldo said:

Who better to stear us clear of relegation than a manager who got Portsmouth and West Ham relegated? He's definitely a better bet than our a current manager who has never been relegated.