Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bournemouth v Charlton post-match news & views 2013

Comments

• Options
    Oh yeah, on the short corner routine for the opening goal - that was Schoolboy defending. Pritchard and Sordell were dozing and Harriott coming across from the other flank arrived too late. We gave them a goal start and the initiative. You can't afford to switch off at set plays or when the ball leaves the pitch, at any level.
  • Options
    My view on the game http://chrispowellsflatcap.wordpress.com/2013/08/03/charlton-sink-without-a-trace-by-the-sea/
    I've possibly taken an ultra negative view on the performance, which I thought was incredibly disappointing, but like everyone else I expect us to bounce back.
  • Options
    I think that many of us have had a bit of an off day sometimes on our first day back to work after a long holiday, haven't we?

Why can't some of you guys give the team the benefit of the doubt, and chill out a bit?
  • Options
    peeps on facebook proper slagging of pritch!
  • Options
    This all really feels like dejavu, takes me back to last year when we had the exact scenario were the midfield was non existent
  • Options

I think that many of us have had a bit of an off day sometimes on our first day back to work after a long holiday, haven't we?

Why can't some of you guys give the team the benefit of the doubt, and chill out a bit?

Ok to say that when you havnt had a first day back at work for a while and are sitting in France having not endured four hours in traffic on a hot day and shelled out £22 to watch that rubbish.
  • Options
    uie2 said:

peeps on facebook proper slagging of pritch!

Harriot was just as bad
  • Options
    Off_it said:

One game, one defeat and the usual suspects are already out slagging off all and sundry.

Only read as far as your post, Offy but think you're being a bit harsh on those that were there today & are offering up their first hand views on this afternoon.

May have been said already but apart from taking his goal splendidly , Yann did not seem himself today. Don said he thought there was a knock picked up in the warm up ...Whatever the reason, he won little in the air and appeared out of sorts. Maybe he's become too used to playing up front on his own in pre season ?

Yann apart, I too felt our midfield was unbalanced. Gower shows great endeavour and energy , Hughsey has other attributes but not sure they can play together . Pritch should not be playing wide and Callum frustrated me on the whole today ...Maybe he needs reminding that there's no "I" in "team".

Too early to judge Sordell but he did little to impress me this afternoon. Could have made more of an impression coming off the bench for 30 mins ? And our POTY had a tough job in containing their wide man although on the whole he does what it says on the tin...

I have to admit that on reflection, Offy could be right...Maybe it sounds as though I am slagging off all & sundry .Thing is, that isn't the intention. We came up against a lively team that was SO up for it today - their first back in the Championship - and on the whole, we allowed them too much possession - some as a result of loose balls failing to find a white shirt.. Yes, it was the first of the season; yes, our skipper was missing; yes, we had a newbie on from the start and finally, yes, we were reduced to 10 men . All that is a fact.

But I did come away disappointed in our performance overall. Maybe my expectations are too high and maybe I've become spoiled by all the great away performances over the past 12 months. I'm hoping the gaffer plays his strongest team on Tues evening to have a second look at this same line up or to start with a couple of changes to today's team- obviously one will be enforced by Pritch's absence. Of course, this isn't the end of the world but IMHO we need to start showing more than we did today , especially in front of the home fans. A win against Oxford and another on Saturday will go a long way to erase the memory of frailties shown today and may help towards selling some more season tickets.

Nice to hear the news of Millwall's capitulation at home though. Doesn't take much to bring a smile to my face.....

In SCP we trust !

• Options

Anyone remember losing to Dagenham & Redbridge?

I do , i think it scarred me for life , along with Stevenage away.

Young Jenks definitely does !

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was probably hard on pritch but He did have a shocker. Never rated him out wide. would play him in the middle.

we were not at the races today. Didn't think much of b' mouth tbh. A better team would of pissed all over us today by more goals.

There were signs of the end of last season but very few.

Superb strike from yann.
  • Options
    Anyone know why their number 3 was giving it to us so much after their first goal?
  • Options
    Yeah he's my best mate and knew I travelled down today, it's nothing to do with the club or anything just abit of fun knowing if pick up on it.
    boggzy said:

Anyone know why their number 3 was giving it to us so much after their first goal?

• Options
    JTJT
    edited August 2013
  • Options

We sometimes lose with Andy Hughes.

(and that's when Jackson is injured)
  • Options
    My views from the day after the game.

D'Urso - Right up front, despise the bloke, can't remember him ever doing us any favours, BUT a Charlton fan giving him a dog's abuse while warming up before the game, is hardly going to enamour him to Charlton's cause, is it? Despite what some think, he is only human, after all...

The midfield - some missing the most important fact. We had 70 years of players running our midfield. Football is a young man's game. That's why there was a lack of drive. I would rather have seen one of the stars of pre-season in the holding role - Cousins. There would have been no way that Grabban would have had so much space to score his 2nd if Jordan had been playing. Bournemouth also played a 5 man midfield, which increased the problem.

Sordell - I saw enough to make me think he could be a real player for us this season.HOWEVER, I don't think playing as the target man in necessarily his best position. He looks like a proper no. 10 to me. So, how do we get the best out of him and Yann? Also, I don't think that only having one training session at the club should mean he should be thrown in at the deep end. He probably doesn't even know everyone's name yet.

Of the defence, my biggest concern was Wiggins. There were a couple of times in the 1st half when he was absolutely AWOL, and Big Dorian had to go out to the left wing to cover.

The red card was justified. It was late, and looked like a stamp. I emphasise "looked like", as I don't think there is a vindictive bone in Pritch's body. But the people vilifying D'Urso for issuing the red card, would also be vilifying him for NOT issuing a red card, if a Bournemouth player had done the same thing to a Charlton player.

The basic thing, for me, that came out of the game, is that Bournemouth wanted it more. They won every 50/50 ball, and tackled and harried throughout the whole game.

What was I disappointed by? Firstly, the age of central midfield. If it had been Gower and Cousins I would have been much happier. Also, I would have played Pigott. Is he a better player than Sordell? No, I don't think so. But he has the advantage of playing and training with Yann all pre-season, so there is a familiarity there. I would have given Church and Sordell a game against Oxford, (if Bolton would allow it) and given them another week to bed in.

Just my thoughts...
  • Options

1StevieG said:

So Pritchard is this seasons scapegoat. Brilliant. :-(

'Scapegoat' is merely name-calling. People on here are giving their honest and considered opinions. If you don't agree with them, try posting you own views.

Scapegoat.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Pritchard shouldn't play right midfield? He did very well there in our good run and has shown he has an end product. An end product doesn't have to involve running at players or swinging as many crosses as possible.

Can't see a 4-4-2 with both Green and Harriott working at this level. As said a driving CM would really improve us as a team. We probably won't sign that player so we need to find the right balance with the players we have. I'd say that's Jackson or Hollands who are a more box to box and offer a goal threat alongside Gower, Hughes or Stephens sitting back.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Tweet from Andy Hughes

Just to confirm all the fans thinking I was given last weekend off for my daughters bday well wide of the mark ! Also outstanding support
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Bring on the Mighty Oxford, surely a cup game can revive our season............. :-0
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My views from the day after the game.

D'Urso - Right up front, despise the bloke, can't remember him ever doing us any favours, BUT a Charlton fan giving him a dog's abuse while warming up before the game, is hardly going to enamour him to Charlton's cause, is it? Despite what some think, he is only human, after all...

The midfield - some missing the most important fact. We had 70 years of players running our midfield. Football is a young man's game. That's why there was a lack of drive. I would rather have seen one of the stars of pre-season in the holding role - Cousins. There would have been no way that Grabban would have had so much space to score his 2nd if Jordan had been playing. Bournemouth also played a 5 man midfield, which increased the problem.

Sordell - I saw enough to make me think he could be a real player for us this season.HOWEVER, I don't think playing as the target man in necessarily his best position. He looks like a proper no. 10 to me. So, how do we get the best out of him and Yann? Also, I don't think that only having one training session at the club should mean he should be thrown in at the deep end. He probably doesn't even know everyone's name yet.

Of the defence, my biggest concern was Wiggins. There were a couple of times in the 1st half when he was absolutely AWOL, and Big Dorian had to go out to the left wing to cover.

The red card was justified. It was late, and looked like a stamp. I emphasise "looked like", as I don't think there is a vindictive bone in Pritch's body. But the people vilifying D'Urso for issuing the red card, would also be vilifying him for NOT issuing a red card, if a Bournemouth player had done the same thing to a Charlton player.

The basic thing, for me, that came out of the game, is that Bournemouth wanted it more. They won every 50/50 ball, and tackled and harried throughout the whole game.

What was I disappointed by? Firstly, the age of central midfield. If it had been Gower and Cousins I would have been much happier. Also, I would have played Pigott. Is he a better player than Sordell? No, I don't think so. But he has the advantage of playing and training with Yann all pre-season, so there is a familiarity there. I would have given Church and Sordell a game against Oxford, (if Bolton would allow it) and given them another week to bed in.

Just my thoughts...

Very interesting thoughts.

I was quite surprised to see both Gower and Hughes starting. And the age/pace problem is nont going to be greatly improved by Jacko's return...

• Options
    Thanks for that. Similar to his belter against Bristol Titty last season, but supplied from the opposite wing. Killer Hales would have been proud.

• Options
    shirty5 said:

Tweet from Andy Hughes

Just to confirm all the fans thinking I was given last weekend off for my daughters bday well wide of the mark ! Also outstanding support

WSS started that rumour :-)
  • Options
    People still believe Bailey would not walk into our midfield?

Hollands should have been in squad, I do not rate Hughes offers little imo.
  • Options
    wss knows nowt shocker 8)
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2013
    From all that I have read, formation seemed wrong yesterday. There was not the personnel to play 442 away from home.

Hughes may manage in the holding role as part of a 5 man midfield, playing in front of the back 4. At the end of last season, he was excellent in this role. Not moving too far up the pitch, and breaking up play around the box. BP breaking up play further out. Hughes should definitely, not play as part of a midfield in a 442.

BP is good in a central role, running around the centre, leaving space for the cultured football skills of Johnnie Jackson to shine. It may also allow for Stephens / Hollands / Gower to play further up the pitch.

Green/Wilson and Harriots for the wings. The only thing that worries me is why pick Pritchard at wide right, CP watches training is DG / LW really not that good that an out of position BP gets the nod instead?

I miss Obika for the wings and striking role. Can Sordell play on the wings ? What's his pace like ?

In CP I trust, that he will sort the formation out and not repeat the same mistakes over and over again.
  • Options
    Hopefully the injury to Jackson , and the performance of the midfield yesterday means Powell uses the Oxford game to have a look at cousins and poyet in midfield - surely these two should be looking to make the step up if we won't play Hollands and Stephens
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Seen the tackle again. Foul, yes. Red card, no. Pritch was trying to get his feet out the way and trying to get it with one foot. furthermore there were no studs showing. It was two opposing players going for the same ball and their lad gets there first and Pritch catches him by accident. There is not one single bad bone or bad drop of blood in Pritch's body. I was willing for him to go in to win the ball back as we were chasing the game at that point. At the very worst it's a yellow card. I've seen much worse challenges than that only get a free-kick with no card. But when you have a criminal referee incharge like we had at Bouremouth it was always going to be a red card. Sadly I think it will be a waste of time appealing as the FA reject appeals for less than that. It's one we have to take on the chin.
  • Options

Seen the tackle again. Foul, yes. Red card, no. Pritch was trying to get his feet out the way and trying to get it with one foot. furthermore there were no studs showing. It was two opposing players going for the same ball and their lad gets there first and Pritch catches him by accident. There is not one single bad bone or bad drop of blood in Pritch's body. I was willing for him to go in to win the ball back as we were chasing the game at that point. At the very worst it's a yellow card. I've seen much worse challenges than that only get a free-kick with no card. But when you have a criminal referee incharge like we had at Bouremouth it was always going to be a red card. Sadly I think it will be a waste of time appealing as the FA reject appeals for less than that. It's one we have to take on the chin.

I listened to Powell's post-match interview on the radio. He said he had absolutely no complaints about the sending-off.

• Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2013

We sometimes lose with Andy Hughes.

(and that's when Jackson is injured)

We sometimes lose with Hughes in a 442.