Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bournemouth v Charlton post-match news & views 2013

Comments

• Jacko will be back next week , always feel we play our best football with him in the side, never seems to panic and we really miss his presence in and around the box.
  • I never like to comment when I wasnt there, so will just say that the Radio London A team of Phil Parry and Bradley Allen had no doubt Pritch had to go. Pritch has just had a bad day at the office. Sounds like most of them did. Bit worried to hear that Wiggins might have been one of them.
  • boogica said:

Not at game today but people already knocking pritchard unbelievable, we av only played 1 game for f--ks sake.

If a player plays badly in a game (and gets sent off), it's probably fair to criticise his performance.

No-one is undroppable.
    It's fair game if someone played shit that people will pick up on it.

What's not on is when he was part of our side winning games at the end of last season, people were happy and he showed what a consistently good player he can be. Now all of a sudden he's the weak link.
  • Didn't do it today simples. Got what we deserved. Move on.
  • LoOkOuT said:

Empty pockets on the way back from the seaside. Disappointing, but were there any promising signs?

Yes Costa Coffee still do a mean Toffee Coolio.
  • Anyone remember losing to Dagenham & Redbridge?

I do , i think it scarred me for life , along with Stevenage away.

• Thought Pugh looked good in the 1st half , had Solly in his pocket.
  • Jackson was a huge miss - without a doubt
    Hughes & Gower don't work as a pair in the middle
    Solly and Kermo were a level above the rest - like usual
    Would love to see Harriott on one side and Green on the other for 90 minutes.

Took nearly 5 hours to drive there from Abbey Wood, thank god it only took 2 and a half hours to get home.
  • I hope Johnny J is not going to be sold? :-(
  • cafcpolo said:

Posting without reading.

Crap. Just so so crap.

The Pritch red was harsh but didn't matter because he was shockingly useless anyway. No stand out players, it was awful, so so awful. Bournemouth were shit and will be lucky to stay up, luckily I know we can play better. There are no words that can sum up that performance. Fans were great, everything else was not.

Sordell, Hughes, Gower, Harriott, Pritch - All a complete waste of space.

Yann, Solly, Morro & Wiggo were in cruise control, usual standard for them. So disappointing otherwise.

Only time we looked like scoring was when Green came on.

I'm really disappointed for all of you who made the trip - at considerable expense. Such a terrible waste: weak midfield, impotent attack, schoolboy errors for the goals. Too much of that sort of stuff, and the natives will begin to get restless.

• Sponsored links:

• edited August 2013
    useless midfield & we will go down unless it is changed.

to score goals regularly you need to either give the ball to your wide men and let them put crosses in OR let your centre midfielders run with the ball & create openings.............. we do neither. Pritchard is not a winger & can't cross and Hughes & Gower hardly crossed the half way line. We are so narrow Paddy might as well erect a width restriction notice at the Valley.

we were so off the pace it was untrue. I'll let this one pass & put it down to the team being "undercooked" - but they had better put in 200% effort next week or we will be looking at 2 losses out of 2. (forget tues night - we've lost that already)

and for those who say I'm negative,,,,,,,,,,,,too bloody right I am !! 4 hours drive down to Bournemouth to watch a team devoid of any attacking ideas. B'mouth were head & shoulders above us today & we even made Francis look good.
  • WSS said:

If we had a driving central midfielder we'd look a completely different (and better) team.

Mark Aizlewood was good for us in the 80s - positive and hard. And before him, in the 60s: Alan Campbell, bags of creative flair. Hughes, Gower and Pritchard just look so pale in comparison.

• useless midfield & we will go down unless it is changed.

to score goals regularly you need to either give the ball to your wide men and let them put crosses in OR let your centre midfielders run with the ball & create openings.............. we do neither. Pritchard is not a winger & can't cross and Hughes & Gower hardly crossed the half way line. We are so narrow Paddy might as well erect a width restriction notice at the Valley.

we were so off the pace it was untrue. I'll let this one pass & put it down to the team being "undercooked" - but they had better put in 200% effort next week or we will be looking at 2 losses out of 2. (forget tues night - we've lost that already)

and for those who say I'm negative,,,,,,,,,,,,too bloody right I am !! 4 hours drive down to Bournemouth to watch a team devoid of any attacking ideas. B'mouth were head & shoulders above us today & we even made Francis look good.

Blimey Golfie , you've cheered up! :-0
  • with the striker fiasco of this summer sorted now as others have said it turned our attention away from what we all knew was our biggest problem, a creative centre midfielder, judge went his way on a free from notts county and the other so called targets have either moved on don't appear to be on the radar. many belived judge was a nailed on deal having spotted powell scouting him on a cold wet Tuesday night in Nottingham. so here we are.. 2 strikers that signed 48hrs before the first game and starting a league game with old man hughes and not as old but not far off gower in cm.. This seems to be the one area powelly either has a blind spot for or something else is afoot. So we now have 7 days till the season really begins with hopefully 20k plus addicks in attendance to witness the arrival of boro.. even if JJ is fit we still need that spark in the centre, stephens we hoped was going to be that man but he clearly either isint that man or just dosnt fancy it down south ala redfearne.. I have listened to CP's post match interview and im hoping the 2 he is looking at are midfielders. forget Tuesday night we all know how that will pan out but I would deffo give gower wood church etc 90 mins again, the season starts again next Saturday, a win against a boro that is not as strong as before will get the belief back and we need to keep the excellent home form of the last few home games going. it was the early and mid home form last term that cost us. If we can keep the run of home victories going and repeat the amazing away record of last term we will be there or there abouts come may.. Heads Up.. oh and millwall lost at home despite their big money spend up this summer..

Pretty sure Judge will have been one of the players Powell meant when he said he missed out on a few.
    Yes, I think there was a subtext to Powell's comment, alluding to Slater's playing hardball with the Judge transfer, such that we had him in the bag but the bag had a hole.

• Wow, that was bad !
  • WSS said:

If we had a driving central midfielder we'd look a completely different (and better) team.

Mark Aizlewood was good for us in the 80s - positive and hard. And before him, in the 60s: Alan Campbell, bags of creative flair. Hughes, Gower and Pritchard just look so pale in comparison.

bowyer, then Kins, then Scotty................ need to find another one of those

or a Claus or even a Murphy,a Di Canio or a Smertin

• WSS said:

bowyer, then Kins, then Scotty................ need to find another one of those

or a Claus or even a Murphy,a Di Canio or a Smertin

Yes, yes, yes to all of those.

• I was hoping after Yann scored his goal that we would kick on from there , and go and win the game , but the exact opposite happened , certainly seemed to lack a driving force in midfield that would up the ante when it was needed today.
  • boogica said:

Not at game today but people already knocking pritchard unbelievable, we av only played 1 game for f--ks sake.

If a player plays badly in a game (and gets sent off), it's probably fair to criticise his performance.

No-one is undroppable.

What's not on is when he was part of our side winning games at the end of last season, people were happy and he showed what a consistently good player he can be. Now all of a sudden he's the weak link.
    I agree. If he plays badly it's fair enough that people say he played poor etc. etc.

But calling him useless and not good enough for this league is way too premature considering last year he did well.
  • Sponsored links:

• boogica said:

No-one is undroppable.

I agree. If he plays badly it's fair enough that people say he played poor etc. etc.

But calling him useless and not good enough for this league is way too premature considering last year he did well.
    To be fair he was poor today but I never heard anyone slagging him.
  • edited August 2013
    Not sure if its been mentioned, but was that Andy Hughes first defeat in a CAFC shirt ?
  • My son not back yet but the one comment I have been texted is that Pritchard was very unimpressive
  • se9addick said:

boogica said:

No-one is undroppable.

Check the match thread. You'll find him described as 'wank all day'. Unless stonewallpenalty was just describing his Saturday to us..
  • edited August 2013
    Don't see the fuss about Bournemouth. Didn't think they were very good, Arter aside. Very average team who wasted time at every opportunity - including the first half. We made them look better than they are.

They won't win many games away from home this season playing like that.

We were well off the pace but there's 45 games left, no need to start picking faults in the team just yet. At least we didn't lose at home to Yeovil with lots of "brilliant" new signings playing for us!
  • se9addick said:

boogica said:

No-one is undroppable.

Check the match thread. You'll find him described as 'wank all day'. Unless stonewallpenalty was just describing his Saturday to us..

se9addick said:

boogica said:

No-one is undroppable.

Saturday night yes. Saturday no.
  • edited August 2013
  • Just back. We got done tactically in midfield, particularly along the flanks. Bournemouth continually over-loaded our full back areas 2v1, with both of their full backs running past Pritchard on the right and Harriott on the left to join in with their wide players. As a result, we were forced backwards, which in turn opened up space in the central areas as Hughes & Gower covered across to plug gaps.

On the ball, we produced some good passing movements, with Hughes setting the pattern of play, Harriott got past Francis on four occasions in 1 v 1s (I counted them), without producing the final incisive cross. Excellent cross from wiggins and excellent finish by Kermit. Sordell did well, dropping off to collect to feet, getting on the half-turn and linking up with Kermit or the midfield, before turning to run the channels. Just what we need. Church has got to stop throwing himself to the ground at the slightest touch.

All-in-all, I've seen enough to not be concerned about the coming season. Too many good professionals. However, top 6 looks a stretch

Great football day out. Thought theBournemouth fans to our left we a bit full of themselves for a Micky-mouse club.
  • Tutt-Tutt said:

Just back. We got done tactically in midfield, particularly along the flanks. Bournemouth continually over-loaded our full back areas 2v1, with both of their full backs running past Pritchard on the right and Harriott on the left to join in with their wide players. As a result, we were forced backwards, which in turn opened up space in the central areas as Hughes & Gower covered across to plug gaps.

On the ball, we produced some good passing movements, with Hughes setting the pattern of play, Harriott got past Francis on four occasions in 1 v 1s (I counted them), without producing the final incisive cross. Excellent cross from wiggins and excellent finish by Kermit. Sordell did well, dropping off to collect to feet, getting on the half-turn and linking up with Kermit or the midfield, before turning to run the channels. Just what we need. Church has got to stop throwing himself to the ground at the slightest touch.

All-in-all, I've seen enough to not be concerned about the coming season. Too many good professionals. However, top 6 looks a stretch

Great football day out. Thought theBournemouth fans to our left we a bit full of themselves for a Micky-mouse club.

A lot of interesting observations there, thanks.

• Arter was a cultured looking player. Grabban, two nicely taken goals. As for us, I thought the 2x CM's were the issue, too one paced (slow) and our build up play reflected that allowing Bournemouth the time to get back into position. Would have started with Hollands instead of Hughes in hind sight personally - would have had something to prove against his old side.

Sordell looks like he has the ability, needs to settle in and like to see a little more effort from him.

All in all, we were poor but not terrible. Yann scored a peach, still confident we will be fine but would like to see a right winger (Pritch is a good player but a poor winger) and dominant CM