Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bournemouth v Charlton post-match news & views 2013

Comments

• Options
    1StevieG said:

So Pritchard is this seasons scapegoat. Brilliant. :-(

Some people always need a scapegoat

• Options
    Nothing created. I couldn't see us getting an equaliser. Then we got it I thought we could grab the winner. Didnt get it.

Didnt seem like there was much urgency or flair. Puts a downer on the night.
  • Options

1StevieG said:

'Scapegoat' is merely name-calling. People on here are giving their honest and considered opinions. If you don't agree with them, try posting you own views.

You need to re-access what he brings to the team. You have Harriott on one side who is quick, direct and tricky. Not all wingers or wide midfielders had to be like that.
    Pritchard is hard working, athletic, good in the tackle, tactically aware, supportive of Solly...oh and he chiped in with the small matter of most assists in the club last season and pretty high up in the league.
    One game, one bad decision and people grow a pair and start saying what they really feel. In this case a load of pony.
  • Options
    scape·goat - a person or group made to bear the blame for others or to suffer in their place. My own view is Pritchard had a pretty good season last year and maybe not as skillful as a lot of others in this league but he is in the side for a reason. 11 assists last year does not make a bad player.
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited August 2013
    If Pritchard is playing wide right midfield then he is being played out of position, he is much better in the centre. All of his assists did not come from that position. He is too slow to play wide right. Breaking from the centre midfield into the right is a different story. He is a great character and very industrious but not at wide right midfield.

Andy D'Urso is an arse of a referee, who rarely does Charlton any good. I hate it when he referees any of our games. Missing of a free kick, lead to the corner and first goal. You can't blame D'Urso for poor marking and the defence switching off for the first goal though. Harsh sounding red card, but maybe that will give a chance for another player to play and claim the the right midfield / right wing slot.

Sounded as is if we missed Johnnie Jackson. Lets hope he is back next week.

Disappointed that we've lost the first game. Bloody Eddie Howe's teams, we always seem to lose to them. Bloody Andy D'Urso.

At least Millwall lost.
  • Options
    I wish managers would come out and tell the press what a joke D'urso is. He's an attention seeking moron and isn't fit to referee.

Rant over.
  • Options
    100% agree with Gary.

Anyway, let's not turn this into a Pritch thread. Look forward to hearing from those at the game
  • Options

1StevieG said:

'Scapegoat' is merely name-calling. People on here are giving their honest and considered opinions. If you don't agree with them, try posting you own views.

You need to re-access what he brings to the team. You have Harriott on one side who is quick, direct and tricky. Not all wingers or wide midfielders had to be like that.
    Pritchard is hard working, athletic, good in the tackle, tactically aware, supportive of Solly...oh and he chiped in with the small matter of most assists in the club last season and pretty high up in the league.
    One game, one bad decision and people grow a pair and start saying what they really feel. In this case a load of pony.
    That's your evaluation of him.
    Others have different, I don't see why other people are finding it so hard to see that.

I think pritch is average at best. He runs his bollocks off, which I respect. But I'd rather see green or Stephens start ahead of him.
  • Options
    I am afraid that the better team won. We never really got going and too many of our best players had off days, including Harriot and even Solly. The balance was wrong in midfield, although our plans were obviously disrupted by Jacko's injury. Difficult also to introduce Marvin at such short notice, although I am sure Chris was right to go with two up front.

Although Grabban was awarded their MoM, I felt that Arter dominated the game from midfield. Apart from always being available to keep things ticking over, he has an eye for an incisive pass, as illustrated by the second goal ( albeit that Hughes was turned far too easily ). in future, I suspect teams will come here and deploy someone to sit on him. Francis also played well.

A game of few chances and not much for us to enthuse about, save for Yan's excellent left foot, hooked volley. Dervite also did well, both defensively and in terms of his distribution from the back.

One down, 45 to go. This was always going to be a tough one.
  • Options
    Francis cleared off the line late on
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Hughes and Gower scared me a bit and I'm in AFKA's camp re Hughes , a bit of emperors new clothes about him, I just can't see it but can't argue with results when he's been about ... Till now lol

No surpise with this result but even tho its early days I feel there's a lot more strength top end of this league than last season not that we'll be up there.

Surprise of the day was Callum wondering why Wiggins was getting boooed , I had Callum down as clued up (that's now under review :-)

Long season ahead but 4th bottom will do me , just like last year and anything else is a bonus !

Top 6 0% ...... 7th-12th 20% ...... 13th-21st 70% ....... The big R 10%
  • Options

Oh and Charlton were the only team to let me down in my accy.

NEVER BACK CHARLTON, NEVER BACK CHARLTON.....

Same here I was on £1200 :-( but Birmingham let me down by not getting an equaliser in the end as well so I can handle it ;-)
    First game long way to go.....
  • Options
    Maglor said:

What was he like today?
  • Options
    3blokes said:

Oh and Charlton were the only team to let me down in my accy.

NEVER BACK CHARLTON, NEVER BACK CHARLTON.....

Same here I was on £1200 :-( but Birmingham let me down by not getting an equaliser in the end as well so I can handle it ;-)
    First game long way to go.....
    Same here, 7 wins and Charlton in my accy. :-(

• Options
    Thank goodness SCP didn't play 4-5-1 oh maybe not
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I take it those questioning were there today?

Pritchard is good running around in the middle.

Beating people and crossing is not his quality. If you can not do either at right wing you should not be there.
  • Options
    Was poor all round. We're in for a long hard season if that's anything to go by.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Very fair result and can't complain really.

Cherries are a tidy team and will do okay this year. Without working Hamer too much they always looked more likely to score but it still took a soft set piece and a great strike to beat him. Gave him too much space for the second so he stepped up and smashed it.

For us Yann MOTM and only threat we carried. Pritch should have done better from a sweet cross from outside of Yann's boot but, other than our goal, not a lot of quality from us going forward I'm afraid.

We had little 5 minute periods where we looked like we were going to move up through the gears without ever really getting going. Worryingly the second goal knocked the stufffing out of us on and off the pitch and it was game over after the sending off.

Neither full back got in front of the midfield all game and offered nothing in an attacking sense and similarly with Gower & Hughes but that's not their game so can't be blamed for that.

Sordell and Yann have the makings of a partnership I think but not sure what to make of Church really on that limited showing. Worked hard enough without getting anywhere near the ball and doesn't seem to be a target man nor a channel runner. I'm hoping he's a fox in the box and with better (or even some service) will come into his own.

Sending off looked high and late but I didn't have the best view.

We were poor but we have to give some credit to them too tbf.
  • Options
    Cheers @Blutcher and Bournemouth
  • Options
    Thanks Blucher & BA. You seem to agree very much with the commentators. I'm looking forward to seeing Yann's goal.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Maglor said:

What was he like today?
    He played well. Neat and tidy all game and unrecognisable from the player we saw.
  • Options
    We were never gonna define our season today. We showed Brum how hard it is to play a promoted side on the opening day last year, and this year we were on the receiving end.

Bournemouth are fancied to do well, and have been very good for a long time now. We'll have tougher away day but easier ones too.

Good to see Kermie get a goal, got to build on that, use Tuesday to get church and Sordell fitter too. Lets see how Boro goes, can't really judge until 10/11 games in.

If nothing else, we didn't lose at home to Yeovil
  • Options
    seth plum said:

We lose Pritchard for three matches. That is a big loss in terms of his work rate.

May get overturned. He was grim today and against ICT anyway
  • Options
    Always prefer Pritch when he's playing in the middle. Jackson and Green in against Boro and we should be alright.
    How was Sordell? He came off quite early didn't he was that the result of Pritchards red?
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Neither full back got in front of the midfield all game and offered nothing in an attacking sense ...

This seems the case whenever we have a bad day. Frustrating as we know so well that these full backs love to push on and make things happen when they do. Was also the problem against inverness. Is it inevitable whenever we come up against well organised opposition and/or lose the midfield?
  • Options

Maglor said:

What was he like today?
    He played well. Neat and tidy all game and unrecognisable from the player we saw.
    Cheers BA. Funny old game ain't it.
  • Options
    Our lot from the home end. Wasn't quick enough to get one with the flare, sorry.image
  • Options

Switched off twice. Couple of awful performances. Midfield was awful. Jackson has to Come back.Pritchard can not beat à man nor cross and never has been able to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_Football_League_Championship#Assists

A fool you are.

People who use Wikipedia to form opinions are the fools. Not those who attend 40+ games à season.

Go away child.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    First away defeat since the one nil up at Hull on February 16. First away defeat in 8.
    Last defeat on an opening day of the season was at West Ham 19/8/2006 3-1.
    Last defeat on an opening day in the 2nd tier of English football was at Middlesboro 9/8/1997 2-1
    Last Charlton player to be sent off on the first game of the season was Jose Semedo against Bournemouth in a 1-0 win 7/8/2010
    Bradley Pritchard has become the 8th Charlton player to be sent off on the opening day of the season
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Losing Pritch for 3 games might do us a favour. Love him to bits for his effort but he isn't up to top half championship standard. CP has a blind spot for him. This might force a rethink k in midfield which was a problem all last season. Only problem is we don't have a proper playmaker to slot in. Stephens is the closest we have but his issues are well documented. No panic yet though as we will grind out results when marvo settles in.