Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bournemouth v Charlton post-match news & views 2013

Comments

• Options
    Midfield two are never going to create anything although I can't see them paired too often together. Saying that though we don't really have any creative midfielders at the Club. I thought from the off the whole team looked off the pace. Harriott did ok but made a few poor choices which a few around me moaned about but he's still learning so not a problem for me. Wiggy was poor. Pritch was Pritch. Runs around a lot, puts in 100% but hardly ever any end product. I'd rather see Greenie out wide. Sordell didn't look fit but a few nice touches but gave the ball away a lot too. We gave the ball away cheaply all over the pitch but especially centre mid.

One bright spot - stunning goal from Kermy, when are they not though.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Sorry. Double post. A little pissed.
  • Options
    Midfield awful including two wide men
  • Options
    I wasn't there but some of the things people are saying is ridiculous. It is the first game and we were away from home against a team who are still on a massive high from promotion last year with Andy D'Urso in charge! I think we need to realise that there's still 138 odd points on offer. The comments on Pritchard seem very harsh too. Didn't he have a header cleared off the line?
  • Options
    Did we look noticeably worse than last season? No.

Did we look noticeably better than last season? No.

That's all you can take from the game that I saw. If Pritch is out for three, Green has his chance so many have been calling for.
  • Options

Sorry. Double post. A little pissed.

No need to apologise. Your assessment of Pritchard and the midfield, and your positive spin on his three-game absence was perfectly cogent. Large's hankering for creative midfielders (above) is spot-on, too. I fear we may struggle this season.

• Options
    No, that was Harriott. People who were there are only giving their opinion. Thought that was the idea of his thread. Read them, agree or disagree, up to you or alternatively don't open the thread.
  • Options
    You've got to admit though, despite the result, it's good to have the football back.

COYA!
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    D'urso truly is an unfunny joke. Didn't realise it was Francis who cleared Pritch's effort off the line. Harriot disappointing, so many wrong decisions.

Frustrating game, but no need to slit wrists. Need a Parker type tho... absolutely noone in centre of park at times. Need a team of kermorgants really! ;-)
    boggzy said:

D'urso truly is an unfunny joke. Didn't realise it was Francis who cleared Pritch's effort off the line. Harriot disappointing, so many wrong decisions.

Frustrating game, but no need to slit wrists. Need a Parker type tho... absolutely noone in centre of park at all. Need a team of kermorgants really! ;-)

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Sitting in pub in Basingstoke after getting back and pretty much agree with @bournemouthaddick. Pritchard lookedIif he was lacking match fitness as he was all over the place. Basically I thought we had potential but what did you expect against a team just promoted amd a front line that's never played together before?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we had a driving central midfielder we'd look a completely different (and better) team.
  • Options
    vff said:

If Pritchard is playing wide right midfield then he is being played out of position, he is much better in the centre. All of his assists did not come from that position. He is too slow to play wide right. Breaking from the centre midfield into the right is a different story. He is a great character and very industrious but not at wide right midfield.

Agreed.

• Options
    LoOkOuT said:

One game, one defeat and the usual suspects are already out winging about those slagging off all and sundry.

Well administered.
  • Options
    Must admit i fancied we would get something down there but as has been said it's a marathon not a sprint. Obviously the sooner jj is back the better.
  • Options
    with the striker fiasco of this summer sorted now as others have said it turned our attention away from what we all knew was our biggest problem, a creative centre midfielder, judge went his way on a free from notts county and the other so called targets have either moved on don't appear to be on the radar. many belived judge was a nailed on deal having spotted powell scouting him on a cold wet Tuesday night in Nottingham. so here we are.. 2 strikers that signed 48hrs before the first game and starting a league game with old man hughes and not as old but not far off gower in cm.. This seems to be the one area powelly either has a blind spot for or something else is afoot. So we now have 7 days till the season really begins with hopefully 20k plus addicks in attendance to witness the arrival of boro.. even if JJ is fit we still need that spark in the centre, stephens we hoped was going to be that man but he clearly either isint that man or just dosnt fancy it down south ala redfearne.. I have listened to CP's post match interview and im hoping the 2 he is looking at are midfielders. forget Tuesday night we all know how that will pan out but I would deffo give gower wood church etc 90 mins again, the season starts again next Saturday, a win against a boro that is not as strong as before will get the belief back and we need to keep the excellent home form of the last few home games going. it was the early and mid home form last term that cost us. If we can keep the run of home victories going and repeat the amazing away record of last term we will be there or there abouts come may.. Heads Up.. oh and millwall lost at home despite their big money spend up this summer..
  • Options
    Not at all sure that Green will get the nod to replace Pritch in right midfield. I like the attacking threat and crossing ability he brings but, unless he has turned over a new leaf, his defensive qualities are somewhat lacking. SCP played Wilson RM quite a bit last year and many of us thought he was better there than at right back; true he didn't maintain that early form but SCP might well give him another shot there in preference to Green.
  • Options

with the striker fiasco of this summer sorted now as others have said it turned our attention away from what we all knew was our biggest problem, a creative centre midfielder, judge went his way on a free from notts county and the other so called targets have either moved on don't appear to be on the radar. many belived judge was a nailed on deal having spotted powell scouting him on a cold wet Tuesday night in Nottingham. so here we are.. 2 strikers that signed 48hrs before the first game and starting a league game with old man hughes and not as old but not far off gower in cm.. This seems to be the one area powelly either has a blind spot for or something else is afoot. So we now have 7 days till the season really begins with hopefully 20k plus addicks in attendance to witness the arrival of boro.. even if JJ is fit we still need that spark in the centre, stephens we hoped was going to be that man but he clearly either isint that man or just dosnt fancy it down south ala redfearne.. I have listened to CP's post match interview and im hoping the 2 he is looking at are midfielders. forget Tuesday night we all know how that will pan out but I would deffo give gower wood church etc 90 mins again, the season starts again next Saturday, a win against a boro that is not as strong as before will get the belief back and we need to keep the excellent home form of the last few home games going. it was the early and mid home form last term that cost us. If we can keep the run of home victories going and repeat the amazing away record of last term we will be there or there abouts come may.. Heads Up.. oh and millwall lost at home despite their big money spend up this summer..

Pretty sure Judge will have been one of the players Powell meant when he said he missed out on a few.
  • Options
    Posting without reading.

Crap. Just so so crap.

The Pritch red was harsh but didn't matter because he was shockingly useless anyway. No stand out players, it was awful, so so awful. Bournemouth were shit and will be lucky to stay up, luckily I know we can play better. There are no words that can sum up that performance. Fans were great, everything else was not.

Sordell, Hughes, Gower, Harriott, Pritch - All a complete waste of space.

Yann, Solly, Morro & Wiggo were in cruise control, usual standard for them. So disappointing otherwise.

Only time we looked like scoring was when Green came on.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

Posting without reading.

Crap. Just so so crap.

The Pritch red was harsh but didn't matter because he was shockingly useless anyway. No stand out players, it was awful, so so awful. Bournemouth were shit and will be lucky to stay up, luckily I know we can play better. There are no words that can sum up that performance. Fans were great, everything else was not.

Yann, Solly, Morro & Wiggo were in cruise control, usual standard for them. So disappointing otherwise.

Apart from when we scored when he wasn't on the pitch. ;-)

• Options
    Had to watch from the home end which made today even more painful. Luckily I did seem to be surrounded by fellow Charlton in the South stand as nobody really celebrated either of their goals. I did get quite a few looks when I was the only person stood up when Yann scored though.

We only really got going for about 5 or 10 minutes in the second half and during that time we got the equaliser. Other than that little spell we didn't create much at all, although I didn't really think Bmouth looked that good and our defence handled them pretty well for the majority, forcing them to shoot from distance usually.

Their second goal was poor from Hughes - rushed in and got easily skinned leaving massive space for their guy to get his shot off. Didn't think he or Gower really did much for the majority of the game, although I would say Gower was the slightly better of the 2 in the middle today. Saying that, I don't think anyone stood out as particularly bad, just a lot of nothing performances.

Yann by a mile our best player today and I think him and Sordell could become a really dangerous partnership once they've had a few more games together. Solly, Hamer and Dervite also had decent enough games.

Overall, not a great performance but felt like there was enough there to show that once we get going we will be absolutely fine this season. Also feel like today would have been very different with Jackson in the middle and hopefully he will be back for the next one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought it was a poor game with not a lot between the sides. 1st goal the marking was missing, Kerms and their second were good goals. Bournemouth wanted it a bit more today we were second best in most 50/50s

Hopefully JJ will be back soon, Hughes was not needed in a 442 with Gower next to him. Bring on next week
  • Options
    WSS said:

cafcpolo said:

Posting without reading.

Crap. Just so so crap.

Apart from when we scored when he wasn't on the pitch. ;-)

Oh you cheeky so and so ;) It was out of no where and definitely wasn't deserved.

Haven't seen us play that bad for a long long time.
  • Options
    Well that was disappointing!
    Thought the first half was pretty evenly contested without either side really testing the goalkeeper.
    We fashioned a couple of nice bits of football which ended in woeful shooting (I think both times were Harriot - the lad really needs to work on his shooting)
    First goal gave them a real lift and was a poor one from our side.
    Arter was really tidy and energetic in midfield, with quick incisive passing and I think it was he that put Francis away down the right wing where he skinned Harriot for pace and put in a peachy cross (I'm sitting there thinking it's supposed to be the other way around!)
    Second half we seemed to start with more determination and purpose, and once Kermy blasted in his volley to level I fancied us to stamp our authority.
    Unfortunately it wasn't to be - we tried to pass it around from the back and probe, with Dervite and Gower to the fore, but we never seemed to threaten them in dangerous areas - whereas they were more prepared to run at us inside our half.
    From Grabban's run he unloaded a cracking drive from outside the box to regain the lead.
    There's no doubt they are still feeding off the confidence from last season and once they realised we weren't hurting them they never looked like surrendering the lead again.
    We desperately missed Jackson's leadership and presence.
    Pritch had one of his ineffective "non-league" games,
    The sending off seemed to me just a high speed coming together - in real time I didn't see Pritch raise one let alone 2 feet - but their guy ended in a heap and his teammates were incensed. Will be interested to see on TV.
    Harriot was a tad "little boy lost" today, I thought,
    Sordell fed off scraps and didn't really get a chance to show what he can do.
    Church made a lot of good runs - it will be interesting to see what he can do if somebody could actually find him with an incisive pass.
    Not the end of the world and we weren't outclassed but we need to offer a more potent threat going forward.
    I kind of wished we had Fuller to come of the bench and make something happen

• Options
    cafcpolo said:

Posting without reading.

Crap. Just so so crap.

Thought players wise that was a good summary
  • Options
    Not worried at all. We could play the same team at home to Middlesbrough and win comfortably. Such a long season with loads of points at stake. Kermorgant and Sordell will be a great partnership when they have played a few games. If the midfield needs tinkering that's fine. It's happened plenty of times before and worked.
  • Options
    Awful.

We never really got going throughout the game. Our first goal we conceded was a joke, Bournemouth took the corner quickly and Grabban got there before Morrison did. Our defence looked half asleep.

Totally agree about Gower and Hughes, they were both slow and had no energy whatsoever. Our 2nd goal was down to our midfield. I don't understand why Hollands did not get in the side, I think him and Stephens would have been better in the middle today.

Can't really think of anyone who stood out for me today, we just looked so ordinary. I think teams are going to find it hard to get a result against Bournemouth looked a really good organised side and Harry Arter really stood out for me because he was fighting for the ball which is what we lacked today. I will be surprised if they finish near the relegation zone.
  • Options
    My brother text me and asked how we played. All I could say was, no one played particularly well. No one played particularly bad.

There was just no urgency or flair in the team.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Not at game today but people already knocking pritchard unbelievable, we av only played 1 game for f--ks sake.
  • Options
    boogica said:

Not at game today but people already knocking pritchard unbelievable, we av only played 1 game for f--ks sake.

If a player plays badly in a game (and gets sent off), it's probably fair to criticise his performance.

No-one is undroppable.
  • Options
    The performance sounds suspiciously like our last visit to Bournemouth. We were outplayed that day and by and large complete guff, difference was we nicked it at the end and everyone ignored the poor performance.

Unless we find some cash and invest in a box to box midfielder we are going to be a mid to lower half team.