Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Confirmed: Richard Wood Signs One Year Deal

Comments

• Blucher said:

The view of a Wednesday supporting mate of mine ( a man who knows his football, I might add - no disrespect intended, OP ) :

" Woody was a class act - captain in his early 20s and attracted interest from Moyes at Everton. Forced out of Hillsboro by the management, who needed the transfer fee, and then got a bad knee injury at Coventry. Definitely worth the risk on a free transfer."

That will do for me.

Wood was decent when first on the scene I'm not denying that but gradually he just fizzled off, his marking was atrocious at times, he gave away quite a few pens because he's slow and can get caught out.

He was a bright prospect that didn't kick on.

There was mixed reports here as to why he left, some say it was engineered, some say it was greed and others say he wanted to move onto better things, unfortunately to him it meant Coventry City.

So Blucher, I'm not quite sure you 'Wednesday mate' knows the full story either.

No disrespect but Morrison was thought to be less than world class at your place and he's been fantastic for us. Llera was, shall we say, not the fans favourite centre half with us but it would seem that he is very popular at Hillsborough.

Sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery and/or personnel.

I'm happy with the signing, he sounds like just what we need. I have no reason to specifically want to be wrong OP, save for that fact that I clearly want the player to be good for us, but I don't see how we can, really, lose with a one year deal for a player with that much experience at the level we are at.
  • Charlton have yet to lose a league game Wood has started.

He certainly wins a lot in the air, stays calm and appears to be a leader.

Another good Powell signing both as a player and as a charecter.

Wood, Solly and Kermo key to how we do this year.
  • I agree Henry. When you saw how Solly and Kermo played today you realised how important they are for us. It's a real shame we won't able to resign Stephens and will end up losing him as him and Cousins work well together.
  • Impressed me in the Millwall game, was pretty much the only player who stood up to be counted for us that day and was then inexplicably subbed. Pleased to hear he's back in the side and doing well.
  • I thought for their first goal he let the ball bounce when it should have been cleared but agree that he's generally pretty solid.
  • The guy is class, makes such a difference.
  • Agree with se9. I'm a big fan of Richard but i felt he was at fault for their first. Normally a rock though.
  • Had very low expectations but think he's been an excellent signing.
  • It seems to work when you have Wood
  • Sponsored links:

• One year contract is fine, he can work his bollox off for a second.
  • We need a song for Wood

Something involving Woody from Toy Story

Wooooooddyyyyssss rooouuuunnndddduuuupppp
  • Thought he had grant holt in his pocket at the wigan game too. Very calm and assured
  • Quality player.. Even though he runs as if he needs to go to the loo!!
  • Dizzle said:

We need a song for Wood

Something involving Woody from Toy Story

Wooooooddyyyyssss rooouuuunnndddduuuupppp

a song for Woody - ask Bob Dylan

Richard Wood, Richard Wood
    plays in front of Ben

...instead of riding through the glen

• Well Richard, you told me you were desperate to play against the Wendies - looks like your wish may come true. Hope you prove to them what they have missed out on. Good luck and wishing you and your family a Happy New Year.
  • Good player at this level ...we need him
  • Very reliable player. Looks unlikely to put a foot wrong and is very assured at the back. Is decent with the ball at his feet too.

Old school English center back.
  • I thought that he couldn't trap a bag of sand and his passing was woeful, I thought he could head a ball and was so slow in turning and moving it was a shite signing,

very very wrong on that judgement he has fitted in to life at the club well and has turned into a good player
  • Excellent player. Our best centre half by a distance.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the title needs editing. Nearly gave me a heart attack. No idea what @oohaahmortimer will think. Probably sh*ting his guts out.....
  • He's done very well! I think Pearcy felt he could have enjoyed a similar career.
  • i don’t remember him playing for us!
  • i don’t remember him playing for us!
    Same!
  • Can't believe he is still going. Seems a lifetime ago he was playing for us and I thought he was nearing the end of his career then 😳
  • A decent player for us, we had good options at the back that season with Morrison, Wood and Dervite, it was up front where we struggled to score goals (Sordell and Church...)
  • He was absolutely quality, unforgettable in fact.
  • A decent player for us, we had good options at the back that season with Morrison, Wood and Dervite, it was up front where we struggled to score goals (Sordell and Church...)
    Dervite! That's a blast from the past - I thought he was quality