Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Confirmed: Richard Wood Signs One Year Deal

Comments

• At 28 the telling thing is not that we would offer a one-year deal, but that he would sign one. Powell has to get bodies in and they have to be cheap. No point blaming the player or the manager.

Or he understands what FFP rules will do to players contracts.
  • Rather Mambo or better still Gomes. 28, at prime, why sign as 4th choice if you are any good? Hope we don't need to use him

No-one signs as 4th choice. You sign and aim to show in training and on the pitch that you're the first choice. Like what Cort did in our L1 season and Dervite did in our Championship season. But you'd rather have Gomez who is, what, 16? over a player with Championship experience. Come on now
  • We needed a 4th cb. We have one. Welcome aboard.

Powell has admitted he is struggling to bring in strikers. Good strikers are even harder when you don't have the money. I can't say I'm not concerned but Powell knows we need them. There is no way he is not trying. I'd rather get the right ones in than any old gumph. Just need to be patient. Hard I know for all of us.
  • At 28 the telling thing is not that we would offer a one-year deal, but that he would sign one. Powell has to get bodies in and they have to be cheap. No point blaming the player or the manager.

Or he understands what FFP rules will do to players contracts.
    agree football outside of the PL is changing and not before time. I don't just think it will be us who start handing out 1 year deals or 1 year contract extensions.
  • Welcome Wooden Dick, our numbers are now swollen

Boom Boom

• 1 yr deal to prove he can play for us in the Prem.

Good signing.

Next please.
  • powell gets wood
  • How on earth can anyone suggest a 16 year old be a better option than a player with 300 Championship games and is at a peak age for a defender?

And as for Yado Mambo.....Theres a good reason he was let go.
  • Welcome to the club Richard knock on Wood.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think the good reason that Tom refers to is the fact that he wasn't good enough! Yads was a likeable guy but I don't think he ever pushed on as much as people hoped, but he will carve out a decent career in the lower leagues.

Welcome woody hope you have a decent year with us and make nla eat his words ;-)
  • I'm very happy with this and I think most footballers out of the Premier League are going to have shorter contracts moving forward.

As no club outside of the Premier League can, realistically, afford to pay transfer fees there is less pressure on the club to avoid contracts running out, yet there is still the same risk of a player being unable to perform when he has a long term contract - poor form, injury etc.

I'm more than happy for most of our players to be on revolving one year contracts. Clearly we have some that I would like to be on longer deals, but Kelly Youga (injury), Yassin Moutaouakil and Izale McLeod (let's say other reasons) cost us a fortune while not contributing. If they'd been on one year deals we would not have had to pay them as much once they dropped out of contention for the first team.
  • edited July 2013
  • edited July 2013
    What a bunch of bloody miserable whingeing gits. Welcome Richard.
  • One year deals are far more commonplace these days and the introduction of FFP will only serve to reinforce that trend. He is 4 years younger than Matt Taylor, is a seasoned Championship defender and I do not think that any adverse inference should be drawn from the guy signing a one year contract ( as did Fuller last year, for example ). We have been lucky the last few years with injuries and need four experienced defenders if, in the manager's view, the younger lads are not ready to step up at this stage.

The majority of clubs - not just ours - are being far more cautious these days, as they look to stem the continuing flow of losses.
  • Richard ...Welcome to the Valley ,you are our man now and we are behind you all the way !
  • I like the look of this player. Left footed, 6ft 3ins, a leader, talker, keen to impress. Future player of the year? At 28 in his prime.
  • Blucher said:

One year deals are far more commonplace these days and the introduction of FFP will only serve to reinforce that trend. He is 4 years younger than Matt Taylor, is a seasoned Championship defender and I do not think that any adverse inference should be drawn from the guy signing a one year contract ( as did Fuller last year, for example ). We have been lucky the last few years with injuries and need four experienced defenders if, in the manager's view, the younger lads are not ready to step up at this stage.

The majority of clubs - not just ours - are being far more cautious these days, as they look to stem the continuing flow of losses.

Also with only 1 year deals being signed, it means that if by the end of the year one of our youngsters really steps up we can let the player leave at the end of his contract allowing space in the squad for the young player.
  • good.

best of luck.
  • There's a good interview with Wood on the OS today - he comes over well, as a leader (captain at previous clubs), communicator, and battler. Very best wishes to him for a successful season.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2013

sorry, I was wrong about his age & taylors age too..........

Blimey, it's taken some years, but, at long last you're apologising for your posts.

I'm not sure you'll have time for the previous 3300 or so :-) :-) :-)
  • The view of a Wednesday supporting mate of mine ( a man who knows his football, I might add - no disrespect intended, OP ) :

" Woody was a class act - captain in his early 20s and attracted interest from Moyes at Everton. Forced out of Hillsboro by the management, who needed the transfer fee, and then got a bad knee injury at Coventry. Definitely worth the risk on a free transfer."

That will do for me.
  • Blucher said:

The view of a Wednesday supporting mate of mine ( a man who knows his football, I might add - no disrespect intended, OP ) :

" Woody was a class act - captain in his early 20s and attracted interest from Moyes at Everton. Forced out of Hillsboro by the management, who needed the transfer fee, and then got a bad knee injury at Coventry. Definitely worth the risk on a free transfer."

That will do for me.

Wood was decent when first on the scene I'm not denying that but gradually he just fizzled off, his marking was atrocious at times, he gave away quite a few pens because he's slow and can get caught out.

He was a bright prospect that didn't kick on.

There was mixed reports here as to why he left, some say it was engineered, some say it was greed and others say he wanted to move onto better things, unfortunately to him it meant Coventry City.

So Blucher, I'm not quite sure you 'Wednesday mate' knows the full story either.

• I read he's on a temporary loan or does that predate this contract?
  • razil said:

I read he's on a temporary loan or does that predate this contract?

I believe the OS specifically said he'd signed a one-year contract.

• razil said:

You're not reading between the lines. Its all coded.
  • razil said:

Explain....

• razil said:

Explain....

I'm joking.
  • razil said:

Explain....

I'm joking.
    You had me there! Now can we get back to the rumours-that-are-disproved-then-turn-out-to-be-factoids? See thread about Ajayi!