Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Confirmed: Richard Wood Signs One Year Deal

Comments

• My wife has rose tinted glasses. No really she does.
  • Isn't Wood 28

Apologies for getting his age wrong by about 5 years!
  • Wasn't Kermorgant signed on a one year deal initially? At the age of 29?

Nothing wrong with the deal at all. He's a back up player and therefore anything more than a one year contract is unnecessary. If things don't work out then neither party is a loser.
  • Pleased with this.

Solid championship player, over 300 games so experienced. He's left footed which SCP likes as balance.

No, he's not "exciting" or a striker but good and needed addition to the squad imho
  • I'm pleased too. What's not to like.
  • Good mouve for the lad
  • Welcome on board Richard.
  • Vincenzo said:

Why would you give a 33 year old more than a one year deal? Jesus, Golfie, get a grip. You're just looking for stuff to gripe about. It's a perfectly sensible decision.

He's 28

• Don't understand this if I'm honest, what's wood going to do that Taylor wasn't?? We should spending money on strikers who are going to keep us in the league

No you're right. Powell clearly doesn't know what he's doing..........
  • I'm happy about this. We've signed someone so stop moaning FFS.

Welcome Dick Wood.......
  • Sponsored links:

• sorry, I was wrong about his age & taylors age too..........

• Seems he wasn't that hot against the wombles. Can he play up front if needed?
  • Welcome Woody.
  • Welcome Richard, hope you prove to be an excellent free. Agree with whoever it was that said that Powell would get the best out of him.
  • Reminds me when we were equally skint last year and crying out for certain positions, and then we go and spent money on a third keeper.

A natural left sided centre half is a nice squad addition.

Now let's address the necessities please
  • or its all he has earned golfie

tbh i thought he was shite
  • Welcome Wooden Dick, our numbers are now swollen

Shouldn't that be "members", AFKA ?

Welcome aboard, Knock On.

• ONE YEAR !!! ffs

just shows we ain't got any money...

Tell us something we don't know, Golfie !

• ONE YEAR !!! ffs

only players aged 36+ and crocks sign for that length of time

just shows we ain't got any money...

OR we're being sensible and not locking ourselves into long-term contracts that we can't afford if the worst happens.

what, so he can leave like the other 25 players next May...............good thinking !!

Do you hate life?
  • Decent signing now if we can sign a couple of decent forwards we'll be in a decent position
  • Sponsored links:

• Decent signing now if we can sign a couple of decent forwards we'll be in a decent position

Very decent post, BRE.

• Rather Mambo or better still Gomes. 28, at prime, why sign as 4th choice if you are any good? Hope we don't need to use him
  • From what I've seen of Gomez he's promising but not there yet physically. He's only 16, plenty of time for him to develop. At the moment he's got Feely, Ajayi and Lennon ahead of him. Doubt we'll be seeing him anywhere near the first team for at least another year.
  • people citing the likes of Piggott, Gomes etc please get a grip. As for Mambo, oh pleeessee.
  • It will be interesting.....btw he wasn't born in L**ds

• This has turned my close season around.

After all those nerves and beginning to worry about cash-flow, we at last get that high-profile signing we have all been gagging for.

He's under 40, could play up front if asked, is quite tall and can probably kick it with at least one of his feet so this feels like a good one to me.

And his name is Wood which is a strong dependable sort of name for a defender. We need some more strong names in the team- what about Stone, Cement or Superglue?

And he's from Yorkshire..(well let's ignore the downsides for now)

Just hope the huge fee involved does not put too much pressure on the fella.

(Going back to sleep now)
  • What's his spelling like?
  • At 28 the telling thing is not that we would offer a one-year deal, but that he would sign one. Powell has to get bodies in and they have to be cheap. No point blaming the player or the manager.
  • At 28 the telling thing is not that we would offer a one-year deal, but that he would sign one. Powell has to get bodies in and they have to be cheap. No point blaming the player or the manager.

Or, perhaps, he is a realist who has a family and wants to ensure he has an income (I have no idea of his personal status, btw). I think players of that calibre often hold out for too much then find themselves with no club. Maybe, he wants the chance to prove himself at a decent level to earn another one year contract next year.
  • He says that going on the Spain trip helped make his mind up that he wanted to join us. Suggests that despite what may be going on off the field, the ethos and spirit within the squad must still be strong and could again be the difference between a good and indifferent season.