Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumour - Brighton keen on Chris Powell

12346»

Comments

• Options
    how is this for a truly awful thought : on a limited budget Chris Powell gets us to 6th place the week before Christmas but the Board won't sanction a key signing that he wants to make in the January window .Meanwhile over at "no hope Selhurst " someone on their Board dismayed at the fact that they have not won all season and having confirmed their pre season suspected status as a Premier league laughing stock,decides to fire Stanley Holloway .They then appoint a disenchanted Chris Powell in the forlorn hope that they might actually win a match before certain relegation by the last week in March and we end up with Pardew who has also blown it at Newcastle and finish 9th.Happy Days ?Not .
  • Options

rikofold said:

If the board are again pissing around with next years budget Powell's patience might run out.

If Whelan says to him here's 10-15m to sign your own players and I'll double your wages and leave you to run things your way, I'd say there is a reasonable chance of his head being turned.

Agree entirely - that's my worry, too.

The thing is, how far can Wigan realistically progress? Their league attendances average less than 20k despite having been in the Prem for several years. They face the same problems as any other established Prem club that's been relegated, the same as we did, players on high wages and many wanting to leave to stay at the top level [wages].

I genuinely think there is more potential at Charlton, for any manager. If there is a long term plan that Chris can sign up to at Charlton, I think he'll be here to see it through.

The risk, for me, lies more in whether he' getting the right signals from his board about whether they will stick with him.
    And, of course, whether the current board are around themselves.
    Depending on who the new board would be, that could be good, bad or indifferent news for CP.
  • Options

@OffsideRulePod: Dave Whelan expected to announce new manager tomorrow #wafc

@ValleyGary come on the Karl Robinson

• Options

@OffsideRulePod: Dave Whelan expected to announce new manager tomorrow #wafc

@ValleyGary come on the Karl Robinson

Fingers crossed mate, although he's drifted out to 8/1
  • Options
    ashley said:

how is this for a truly awful thought : on a limited budget Chris Powell gets us to 6th place the week before Christmas but the Board won't sanction a key signing that he wants to make in the January window .Meanwhile over at "no hope Selhurst " someone on their Board dismayed at the fact that they have not won all season and having confirmed their pre season suspected status as a Premier league laughing stock,decides to fire Stanley Holloway .They then appoint a disenchanted Chris Powell in the forlorn hope that they might actually win a match before certain relegation by the last week in March and we end up with Pardew who has also blown it at Newcastle and finish 9th.Happy Days ?Not .

Well you sound like a barrel of laughs.
  • Options

Wigan announcing new manager tomorrow. Very much doubt it's SCP.

Would be one almighty kick in the nuts.

• Options
    I'd be deveastated, although I bet Whelan's had a look at him. You'd think he's got more sense than to appoint McClaren so I'm expecting Coyle to turn up there.
  • Options
    @SkySportsNews: Sky sources: Owen Coyle to be next Wigan manager #SSN
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    www1.skysports.com/football/news/11688/8776310/Sky-sources-Wigan-to-appoint-Owen-Coyle-as-Roberto-Martinez-s-successor

Dave Whelan keeping his cards close to his chest as usual.

BBC: Wigan chairman Dave Whelan confirms that a 'deal in principle' is in place to appoint Owen Coyle as the new manager of Wigan.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

Panic over.

At least until the Brighton job is advertised.

;o)

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Got Bolton relegated, then had them 18th in the championship when he was sacked.

How does he get the job ahead of some of the other names linked?
  • Options
    great news for us! both in terms of SCP and also a major force in the division will be weakened by a manager who didnt really get the championship last time around.

agree with chris. coyle has a track record of failure in terms of helping a relegated team get promoted at first time of asking.
  • Options

Got Bolton relegated, then had them 18th in the championship when he was sacked.

How does he get the job ahead of some of the other names linked?

Available
    Presumably lives locally
    Has managed in the area so should know the club more than a Londoner.
    Likes to play fairly attractive football
    Was impressive in job interview
    Got Burnley promoted, a similar sized club to Wigan?
  • Options
    Coyle appointed.
  • Options
    Coyle in, thank f**k for that
  • Options
    Whose to say half those linked were actually interviewed or even interested?.
  • Options
    Whelan didn't want to pay compo for anyone in a job, so it was down to Coyle, McLaren or Phelan. Of those, Coyle is the one with most experience at this level.
    Hope SCP stays with us for a very long time
  • Options
    Can't see how he'll continue at Brighton. It seems both parties want out but both want the other to pull the plug. His relationship with TJ worries me.
  • Options
    I'm sure Chris Powell will be around for the first half of the season, whether he and the rest of the coaching/mangement team are around in the New Year will depend on how quickly the board gets round to offering them stability with new contracts.