Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumour - Brighton keen on Chris Powell

Comments

• Options

Poyet to Charlton.

You heard it here first!

or second, or third, or fourth...
  • Options

Wigan is proberbly the number 1 job in the championship

Money
    Nice family club
    Europe
    A decent man as a chairman
    And a club that gives u the chance to build your team your way

Sounds a great opportunity for a young up and coming english manager

Good post. Unfortunately.

Except I would not be too sure about the money. They are sooo dependent on the TV money. Lousy gates, hardly any prawn sandwich revenue...even with their parachute money, they may have to cut losses.

I'm sort of clutching at a straw though

• Options
    I do think there are managers in front of powell.
  • Options
    If there was one club mate that is the most attractive in the league for someone like scp its there

Whelan aint skint mate and the tv money would just be a bonus
  • Options
    Should be a wake up call to our board. Powell has ,thus far, more than delivered his end of the bargain.

Time to put up.
  • Options
    Can't see how a manager who is in a job would agree to be interviewed alongside other managers. A decent chance they won't be successful and weakens their existing position.
  • Options
    CP's contract expires in summer of 2014.
  • Options
    If poyet leaves I'd be more than happy with poyet as his replacement. Doubt we could afford poyet's wages though
  • Options
    I'm probably totally out of touch but what is the situation with Poyet & Brighton ?

Last I heard he was just suspended....
  • Options

I'm probably totally out of touch but what is the situation with Poyet & Brighton ?

Still suspended as is Otway while Brighton go through there disciplinary procedure.

Tarrico (asst manager) has been re-instated though and will be back at work after his leave.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Still suspended as is Otway while Brighton go through there disciplinary procedure.

Tarrico (asst manager) has been re-instated though and will be back at work after his leave.

yeah. He's bringing Wise with him ;-)
  • Options

Only when Wise and Jimenez sort out that £600k+ court case : - )
  • Options

£600 k. Is that all it is ? Hardly worth the effort is it ?

• Options

£600 k. Is that all it is ? Hardly worth the effort is it ?

That was before the lawyers got involved. Now the total potential liability is anyone's guess.

Just as well Tony doesn't have any other court cases pending....... Oh, hang on : - )
  • Options
    No he wou

Wigan is proberbly the number 1 job in the championship

Money
    Nice family club
    Europe
    A decent man as a chairman
    And a club that gives u the chance to build your team your way

Sounds a great opportunity for a young up and coming english manager

Europe won't be that much of an attraction, a club like Wigan will probably end up losing money from that. Plus they'll probably end up playing reserve sides as their main focus will be the league.
    I doubt they'll have much money either, if they did they'd have surely spent more on players to try and stay in the premier league.
    A few of their best players will leave too.
  • Options
    Twelve interviews ! If Chris is one of them it means two things at least. One that the board have given him permission to speak with Wigan and two that Chris is interested in leaving Charlton. The first might be viewed as a regretable but decent thing to do by the board or an easy way to get rid but the second would be in my opinion the end of the no holds barred love affair that the supporters have with Powell. I'm not saying that I would blame Chris if he felt that the Charlton board were not matching his aspirations but given the relative progress that has been made since the takeover there is little evidence to support that view apart from rumour and speculation. The 100% blind support SCP currently gets would I fear be greatly reduced.

I don't believe a word of it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    CP is part way through building something big here, doing it his way.

I'd like to think he'd want to see the job through to completion, rather than have to start again from scratch somewhere else, far away from his growing family.

But you never know.

• Options
    If he was to leave i think hes done a great job with us. dont think he will but with these things you really do never know.
  • Options
    I can't see him leaving, but i agree he has done really well for us for a manager with no managerial experience before joining us. I hope he stays but if he were to leave i'd rather it be to a Premiership team than a Championship team. Really can't see him leaving us unless he is pushed out.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

CP is part way through building something big here, doing it his way.

I'd like to think he'd want to see the job through to completion, rather than have to start again from scratch somewhere else, far away from his growing family.

But you never know.

I think we'd all like to believe he wants to see it through, but the reality is we have no idea if the board will allow him to anyway. We had a bad run last season and rumours were he was about to go before a big turnaround. Regardless of his affiliation and love of CAFC, he has a family and career to think of. For our benefit I hope he stays.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    of course Powell is going to be in demand, he is one of the most talented younger managers around. This Brighton/Wigan/ fancy Powell stuff is feelers put out by the clubs and/or agents, surreptitiously and against league rules, to see if Powell bites. It'll need a bigger bait than Brighton or Wigan to reel him away from SE7
  • Options
    I doubt he'd go - but if Brighton were to seek permission to interview him it would put TJ/Slater in a position. Do they say no and risk hacking CP off, let him go to an interview, or give him a new contract?

• Options
    I dont believe for 1 min that chris is one of the 12 interviewed

My opinion was in answer to frontline as to why any young up and coming mgr would look at wigan as a serious serious prospect for work
  • Options
    Freedman, apparently, didn't want to leave palace, but the fact that the board said "You can talk to Bolton" made him think "maybe I'm not wanted here....."
  • Options

Freedman, apparently, didn't want to leave palace, but the fact that the board said "You can talk to Bolton" made him think "maybe I'm not wanted here....."

not really on topic but Freedman going was a right result for Palace .. look what Stanley Holloway did for them .. well him & the players
  • Options
    Agreed, though the question I'm asking is really, what does TJ/Slater do IF Brighton ask to talk to CP ?
  • Options

Agreed, though the question I'm asking is really, what does TJ/Slater do IF Brighton ask to talk to CP ?

Start looking for a new manager at a guess....
  • Options

I dont believe for 1 min that chris is one of the 12 interviewed

this - no chance

• Options
    edited June 2013

mmmm ... easy/glib answer .. Talk to Powell first, sound him out and tell him what the long term plans are for CAFC .. IF there are any ..
    .. a nasty thought occurs to me despite what I wrote above. If we can't strengthen during the summer, we might struggle as I suspect we over achieved last season. If we struggle, Powells 'market value' will drop and he might think that if there are no concrete plans in place for CAFC he'd be better off going. Powell loves CAFC I am sure but he doesn't want to be on a Titanic type mission.
    A t m it is all conjecture and, to coin a phrase, we will have to wait and see.
  • Options
    Anyway, isn't CP on holiday?