Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumour - Brighton keen on Chris Powell

Comments

• Options
    Lets be realistic here. I doubt any Premier League club would touch SCP with a bargepole for the time being anyway. The man has had two and a half seasons as a manager and overall done very well. He keeps that going for another couple and that might change but no EPL Chairman is going to risk the clubs top flight status on his current track record. That leaves about half a dozen Championship clubs who might take him on. Wigan might well be one but unless SCP has applied then we can rule that out too. I suspect Brighton be just be a little too sideways for Chris to give it more than passing thought. I am very confident that he will be our manager next season.
  • Options

Lets be realistic here. I doubt any Premier League club would touch SCP with a bargepole for the time being anyway. The man has had two and a half seasons as a manager and overall done very well. He keeps that going for another couple and that might change but no EPL Chairman is going to risk the clubs top flight status on his current track record. That leaves about half a dozen Championship clubs who might take him on. Wigan might well be one but unless SCP has applied then we can rule that out too. I suspect Brighton be just be a little too sideways for Chris to give it more than passing thought. I am very confident that he will be our manager next season.

When Premier League chairmen are willing to give the likes of Mark Hughes, Paul Lambert, Kenny Dalglish, Alan Pardew, Paolo Di Canio jobs WELL above their CV then anything can happen.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    cafctom said:

When Premier League chairmen are willing to give the likes of Mark Hughes, Paul Lambert, Kenny Dalglish, Alan Pardew, Paolo Di Canio jobs WELL above their CV then anything can happen.
    Agree with the others but he did win the league
  • Options

What Clem said.
    A lot of piffle on here re loyalty.
    If Whelan doubles Chris's salary TJ will be looking for a new manager.

We can't assume he'll stay no matter what, but why assume Chris would leave just for more money?

He's had a good and long playing career and will be living comfortably. He may not want to move to another part of the country. He might be in talks about a new deal here.
  • Options
    SCP's odds on Sky bet is now 10-1

He is behind Coyle,McLaren,Robinson,Poyet,Phelan and Meuleseen.I suspect the odds change every hour.
  • Options
    There are some random, out of left field names among those candidates. Would expect there is a fair bit of truth in those interviewing for them to be getting a mention.
  • Options
    This all makes me laugh, he will be Charlton manager on First Game of the Season! FACT
  • Options
    He's still young. Don't see why he would be in a rush to leave.
  • Options

There's a no chance of SCP going to Wigan, a club on the way down, that over achieved by staying in the PL. They may have parachute money, but poor gates, and I doubt their commercial income will be great either.
    Right. The Wigan job is a poison chalice.

I can't see him leaving us unless it was for a PL job. If Jol, for example, was sacked, Fulham would be tempting.

• Options
    Silly season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Its BHA " Chris you have 3mil to spend on players and a 50% rise in wages"

or

CAFC " Chris sell a couple of players, no transfer kitty and get on with it"
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

cafctom said:

Bit of a harsh dig at Paul Lambert aswell who worked wonders at Norwich.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

J BLOCK said:

cafctom said:

Agree and Paolo. He gets a bad name because of who he is but if it was a young English manager who had the success he did at Swindon everyone would be over the moon that he got a job at a Prem club.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:

J BLOCK said:

cafctom said:

Doing a steady job at Villa too with a very young side and a Chairman who is careful with his transfer spending.

Benteke was one of the signings of the season and he has plucked several players straight from League 1 and turned them almost immediately into decent Premier League players. I don't like the way he has gone about working his way between the clubs he's managed but he's done well at all of them really.
  • Options
    There is no way Chris would leave us for another run of the mill Champ club and throw away a special relationship he has with our fans and club. And I can't see him being on any Premier League radars. For the time being.

He'll be here next season. Relax.
  • Options
    Not even if offered double money
  • Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned on here before. Apologies if it has. Just read an article in the Mercury about Powell being in the top four managers in the Championship as voted for by other managers in the league. Malay McKay won and Bruce and Zola also placed. Think his stock is rising among his fellow managers also.
  • Options
    SCP is now 16-1 on Sky Bet and 20-1 on Bet Victor.
  • Options
    .......let's just agree that, of all the clubs out there, Wigan are probably most like Charlton in terms of culture/feel and, therefore, would present a good alternative to SCP if he felt the time was right to move on. Personally, I don't think it will happen but my eyes are open to the fact that it COULD. Ultimately, it will come down to the true relationship and finance position behind the scenes that we all seem to speculate about but, in reality, don't actually know. If all is well then I see no reason for SCP to leave for Wigan. If it's not (and Airman is probably most informed of us all I would suggest) then you wouldn't blame Chrissy for taking this 'opportunity'.

We have to face the fact that Chris will not be with us forever. At times this season, it was suggested that he might be pushed out anyway. Such situations (if true) tend to leave wounds/scars which become relevant when life offers new paths to tread. I hope he stays but I am not niaive enough to think that his goal in life is solely to manage Charlton Athletic.

Could you imagine Alan Curbishley managing Wigan? I could. Given that SCP is in Alan's 'mold', surely that's an indicator of his likely interest?
  • Options
    meldrew66 said:

.......let's just agree that, of all the clubs out there, Wigan are probably most like Charlton in terms of culture/feel and, therefore, would present a good alternative to SCP if he felt the time was right to move on. Personally, I don't think it will happen but my eyes are open to the fact that it COULD. Ultimately, it will come down to the true relationship and finance position behind the scenes that we all seem to speculate about but, in reality, don't actually know. If all is well then I see no reason for SCP to leave for Wigan. If it's not (and Airman is probably most informed of us all I would suggest) then you wouldn't blame Chrissy for taking this 'opportunity'.

We have to face the fact that Chris will not be with us forever. At times this season, it was suggested that he might be pushed out anyway. Such situations (if true) tend to leave wounds/scars which become relevant when life offers new paths to tread. I hope he stays but I am not niaive enough to think that his goal in life is solely to manage Charlton Athletic.

Could you imagine Alan Curbishley managing Wigan? I could. Given that SCP is in Alan's 'mold', surely that's an indicator of his likely interest?

My thoughts exactly. Plenty of managers and players leave clubs that they have an affinity to simply because there are better opportunities elsewhere for their career and I doubt this would be any different for chris. Whatever the situation is behind the scenes, there are potentially better career options out there for a young manager who is currently the most highly rated he has been. IF (who knows!?), he isn't completely happy with the running of the club and has concerns going forward, a poor season next year could make him less desireable than he is now. I wouldn't be surprised or or blame him if he left for something he believes is more attractive.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He has drifted big time now, plenty of others in the running ahead of him. Coyle seems to be current bookies fav.
  • Options

I will remain worried while Poyet is not fully employed either at Brighton or elsewhere.

He was always the number 1 choice for the board before Saint Chris was appointed and has strong connections with TJ and CAFC.
  • Options

If the board are again pissing around with next years budget Powell's patience might run out.

If Whelan says to him here's 10-15m to sign your own players and I'll double your wages and leave you to run things your way, I'd say there is a reasonable chance of his head being turned.

Agree entirely - that's my worry, too.

The thing is, how far can Wigan realistically progress? Their league attendances average less than 20k despite having been in the Prem for several years. They face the same problems as any other established Prem club that's been relegated, the same as we did, players on high wages and many wanting to leave to stay at the top level [wages].

I genuinely think there is more potential at Charlton, for any manager. If there is a long term plan that Chris can sign up to at Charlton, I think he'll be here to see it through.

The risk, for me, lies more in whether he' getting the right signals from his board about whether they will stick with him.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

If the board are again pissing around with next years budget Powell's patience might run out.

If Whelan says to him here's 10-15m to sign your own players and I'll double your wages and leave you to run things your way, I'd say there is a reasonable chance of his head being turned.

The thing is, how far can Wigan realistically progress? Their league attendances average less than 20k despite having been in the Prem for several years. They face the same problems as any other established Prem club that's been relegated, the same as we did, players on high wages and many wanting to leave to stay at the top level [wages].

I genuinely think there is more potential at Charlton, for any manager. If there is a long term plan that Chris can sign up to at Charlton, I think he'll be here to see it through.

The risk, for me, lies more in whether he' getting the right signals from his board about whether they will stick with him.
    And, of course, whether the current board are around themselves.
  • Options

rikofold said:

And, of course, whether the current board are around themselves.
    I imagine most football managers would be happy to not have the chairman and directors around, not butting in every 5 minutes with their thoughts about team selection and tactics! Imagine working for Ron Noades for example :-)

Wigan are a club on the way down to their true level, It would be bizarre for Powell to leave us for them, especially with all the personal upheaval it would cause his family. The example of Dougie Freedman who left Palace for Bolton, and will be in the Championship next season while his former club are in the PL might be pertinent too...
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Powell now drifted to 33/1 for next Wigan manager.

Owen Coyle 5/4
    Steve McClaren 6/4

Powell at 28/1 for next Brighton manager.
  • Options
    Wigan announcing new manager tomorrow. Very much doubt it's SCP.
  • Options
    MatchDayApp ‏@MatchDayApp 40m
    Steve McClaren edged closer to shock return to management after Wigan scrapped a move for Gus Poyet
  • Options
    @OffsideRulePod: Dave Whelan expected to announce new manager tomorrow #wafc
  • Options
    edited June 2013

SCP - 40/1 Wigan, 66/1 BHA