Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumour - Brighton keen on Chris Powell

Comments

• Options

Anyway, isn't CP on holiday?

with mobiles etc, one is NEVER truly on holiday or out of reach
  • Options
    I would have thought that like most clubs in our situation that every asset has its price

Say for example we got a million quid compo and messers slater and Jimenez believed that they could get a manager of similar quality that was out of work and available for similar wages

Then as a business the prospect of getting in money to the club is a tempting one and one that needs consideration
  • Options
    edited June 2013

I would have thought that like most clubs in our situation that every asset has its price

Say for example we got a million quid compo and messers slater and Jimenez believed that they could get a manager of similar quality that was out of work and available for similar wages

Then as a business the prospect of getting in money to the club is a tempting one and one that needs consideration

true .. there are just so many possibilities .. as you say, cash (i.e. £0££y) is usually one of, if not THE major considerations in any business decision
  • Options
    Hahahahaha @ even the mere thought of CP being interviewed at Wigan.....what a complete load of utter bollox!

These people have absolutely no idea what-so-ever just what CP's affinity with our club is do they...
  • Options
    And why are Brighton interviewing a new manager before they've officially sacked Poyet?
  • Options

CP's contract expires in summer of 2014.

Does anyone have any idea why he has not been given a contract extension?

• Options
    If he was given permission to talk I could see him leaving if the board showed they didn't want him. However he is building something here and he isn't the type of man to leave at the first job offer, especially when you hear him talk about MY and OUR football club
  • Options
    Chris Powell is on a roll,his heart is in Charlton...can't see him leaving for many years.
  • Options

CP's contract expires in summer of 2014.

Does anyone have any idea why he has not been given a contract extension?

Maybe he has? Maybe they are waiting for him to get back from holiday? Maybe he didn't want one?

The only thing we can say with certainty is that not one person on here knows.
  • Options
    If the board are again pissing around with next years budget Powell's patience might run out.

If Whelan says to him here's 10-15m to sign your own players and I'll double your wages and leave you to run things your way, I'd say there is a reasonable chance of his head being turned.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I dont think this is anything to worry about from what i know about the plans for this season which is limited to a few conversations with an agent SCP is fully aware of what he has to play with and understands it

And that is

Unless we get good offers for players they wont go

If we get the valuation set on any of our squad then they can leave

This hasnt changed in i would say any of our seasons ever under any mgmt at the club

That we will be looking to stay in line with financial fair play

And that we would more than likely be looking to bring in good quality free transfers on a wage than spend an intial outlay of cash on signing in contract players

I think anyone who thinks wigan is a no brainer is 95% correct however for the reasons i said earlier it is a very very good job to walk into for any manager

But whelan likes to have mgrs that want to stay and build and is a great chairman and a fantastic man it seems from the outside looking in

• Options

If the board are again pissing around with next years budget Powell's patience might run out.

If Whelan says to him here's 10-15m to sign your own players and I'll double your wages and leave you to run things your way, I'd say there is a reasonable chance of his head being turned.

Agree entirely - that's my worry, too.

• Options
    Too many unknowns for any meaningful comment. But like everyone else, I hope he stays.
  • Options
    Isn't it an awful thought that Chris Powell could come to the Valley as an opposing manager next season. Hopefully it will be just as awful a thought for him too.
  • Options
    Problem with the Wigan job is that it's not only up North but it's in Wigan.
  • Options

Wigan didn't even spend 10-15m in the last 2 years, they're unlikely to do that now they've been relegated
  • Options
    They spent;

12/13 - £8.3m
    11/12 - £8m
    10/11 - £9.1m

Say they cut their spending by 50% thats still pretty decent for this level. Players leaving will also free up a big chunk of the wage budget (although that will come down). Its certainly a good opportunity for an upcoming manager.

I just dont think CP will leave us though.
  • Options

Wigan didn't even spend 10-15m in the last 2 years, they're unlikely to do that now they've been relegated
    Parachute money, compensation for Martinez, money from player sales and Whelan thinking they need to get back up immediately could see them spend a fair whack.

McManaman, Kone, McCarthur, Maloney and Gomez are all likely to go for decent money.

• Options
    I remember SCPs speech after the last home match; "see you next season". I believed him then and I believe him now.
  • Options

They spent;

12/13 - £8.3m
    11/12 - £8m
    10/11 - £9.1m

Say they cut their spending by 50% thats still pretty decent for this level. Players leaving will also free up a big chunk of the wage budget (although that will come down). Its certainly a good opportunity for an upcoming manager.

And they balanced that spending by selling Moses and N'Zogbia.

Even when they sell their best players, i can't see Whelan splashing out as they'll now have a significantly reduced income to cope with.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Really? Actually think about it.... You're half believing a charlton LEGEND is going to turn his back on the club and go to Wigan! It won't happen in a million years, you're mad. I'll donate £250 to charity if it does, no chance

I really hope you are right but we don't know what goes on behind the scenes and if SCP feels he is not getting the support he could look elsewhere if he got a good offer. He is a Charlton legend but he still has a career to make and his stock is rightly high at present. I certainly would not be complacent.

• Options

I think Dave Whelan sounds like a loyal chairman and good to work for. He has put a lot of his own money into Wigan and with the parachute payments could be a good bet to go back up with the right manager. He may well see SCP as that manager.

• Options
    edited June 2013

They spent;

12/13 - £8.3m
    11/12 - £8m
    10/11 - £9.1m

Even when they sell their best players, i can't see Whelan splashing out as they'll now have a significantly reduced income to cope with.
    Yep, but there will be a fair bit of money coming in over the summer i would think...players like Kone and Mcmanaman likely to leave.

One of the reasons Wigan havent really spent alot because they probably struggle to attract the players that are worth that much!
  • Options
    Will be intrigued to see what their attendances are going to be like next season. Was amazed that they managed to stay so low even after 7-8 years chance to build it up.
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

I remember SCPs speech after the last home match; "see you next season". I believed him then and I believe him now.

Maybe he meant from the away dugout!

• Options

They spent;

12/13 - £8.3m
    11/12 - £8m
    10/11 - £9.1m

Yep, but there will be a fair bit of money coming in over the summer i would think...players like Kone and Mcmanaman likely to leave.

One of the reasons Wigan havent really spent alot because they probably struggle to attract the players that are worth that much!

But my point is that any players sold will probably have to cover their (heavily) reduced level of income. I'm sure they will buy some players but i don't envisage them going out and buying a 7-8m striker like Blackburn did
  • Options

Davo55 said:

Maybe he meant from the away dugout!

He didn't know Wigan were going down!

• Options
    Good point, Tom!

Heard Dave Whelan on radio a week or so ago and he said he was only interviewing people who had applied for the job. So if he is true to his word and SCP is true to his words, we have nothing to worry about...I will still a little bit, though!
  • Options
    What Clem said.
    A lot of piffle on here re loyalty.
    If Whelan doubles Chris's salary TJ will be looking for a new manager.
  • Options
    There's a no chance of SCP going to Wigan, a club on the way down, that over achieved by staying in the PL. They may have parachute money, but poor gates, and I doubt their commercial income will be great either.

I can't see him leaving us unless it was for a PL job. If Jol, for example, was sacked, Fulham would be tempting.