Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options

Busy tonight, although their prices may keep people away once more boozers are open.  £5.80 for a Heineken is taking the urine more than a staggering £9.75 for an Aperol Spritz!!!!!
    I'll not be back.
    I was there at midday.
    £4.80 for a Guinness (pint).
    You shouldn't drink poncy cocktails :-) 
    I'm going to the Elephant & Castle in Woolwich next month, it'll be cheaper there......
  • Options
    Fug me, bag of scampi fries has rocketed in price!
  • Options
    Calling @Vincenzo - a fellow Dumbarton fan persuaded All Inn One, Forest Hill to show the Dumbarton game tonight. In your expert opinion a decent pub?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    EastStand said:
    Croydon said:
    Was at the Duke of Edinburgh in Brixton last night. Packed garden and they call last orders at 9pm, kick out at 9.30.

Couldn't believe it, pub closing while it's still light outside and the match on the big screen hadn't even finished. Mental to do that having just been closed for so long.

Is it in a residential area? Could be a neighbours/licensing issue. Usually when a pub is forced to close their garden early it's due to neighbours complaining to the council about the noise, so the pub needs to close the garden at an "acceptable" time or risk losing their license over noise complaints. 
    Imagine buying a house next to a pub and then complaining about that pub 🤣
    That's what people do.

They buy a house next door or opposite to a pub because it's a bit cheaper, a bit of a bargain - without questioning why.
    Then they complain about noise/music from the pub. Happens everywhere.

• Options
    addickson said:
    Calling @Vincenzo - a fellow Dumbarton fan persuaded All Inn One, Forest Hill to show the Dumbarton game tonight. In your expert opinion a decent pub?
    Sorry I missed this, mate. I have to confess I haven't been in this one, but it looks decent. To be honest, if he persuaded the guvnor to show a Dumbarton game, he owes it to him to go!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

That's what people do.

They buy a house next door or opposite to a pub because it's a bit cheaper, a bit of a bargain - without questioning why.

It' true. It's in the planning system now in that it's harder for residents in a new development next to an old pub to complain, but it still happens. https://www.planningresource.co.uk/article/1592298/new-noise-planning-guidance-fleshes-agent-change-considerations (and the licensing regime is different from planning so that makes it harder still).
  • Options

A pub that was rebuilt "brick by brick" after being demolished, shortly before it was to be given listed status, has welcomed its first customers inside.

The Carlton Tavern in Maida Vale, originally opened in the 1920s, was demolished by developers CTLX in 2015.

• Options
    New boozer coming to Bromley High St (where Walkabout etc was) next month.....The Artful Duke.

Should be decent if anything like their other pubs by the looks of it:

https://www.livelyhood.co.uk/our-pubs/

• Options
    Suddenly that corner of Bromley is awash with pubs what with this one and the Royal Bell reopening and the Partridge and Barrel and Horn well established.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    New boozer coming to Bromley High St (where Walkabout etc was) next month.....The Artful Duke.

Bromley is awash with boozers now, although the prices are averaging at £5 plus a pint so not a cheap night anymore.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Bromley is awash with boozers now, although the prices are averaging at £5 plus a pint so not a cheap night anymore.
    £1,£5 or £10 a pint what's it matter to you.
    You only take £20 out for the whole night anyway.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

£1,£5 or £10 a pint what's it matter to you.
    You only take £20 out for the whole night anyway.
    You have floored me there :'(
  • Options
    Has the Royal Bell reopened yet?
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Has the Royal Bell reopened yet?
    Yes, an absolute shocker.
    Go on the Garden Bar, Bromley.
  • Options
    At last, some good news.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

That's what people do.

It' true. It's in the planning system now in that it's harder for residents in a new development next to an old pub to complain, but it still happens. https://www.planningresource.co.uk/article/1592298/new-noise-planning-guidance-fleshes-agent-change-considerations (and the licensing regime is different from planning so that makes it harder still).

This principle has been established since 2018 when the NPPF was revised. Back when I was a planner in London, I dealt with a case whereby a developer wanted to build 580 units besides a nightclub in Dartford (which had illegally been converted to another use). The developer felt that the Council's demands for triple glazed windows was excessive given that the nightclub was being used illegally for something else, but because its lawful use was a nightclub, and the nightclub existed prior to the new block of flats, the onus was on the developer to mitigate for the noise potential (even though the club hadn't been open for years).
  • Options

Have just passed the Bricklayers Arms in Bromley.  Very sad that a long established, and very nice pub, has had to reduce their opening times.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    What's going on with drinking these days? Just moved back the UK after nine years abroad, had two Friday nights out and they've been bizarre. 

First one up in Greenwich. Went in The Hardy by the market at 9pm and there was only one other table in there! The Galleon next door was closed... On a Friday night. It had been open in the afternoon. The Union up the road was also closed. The other pubs looked pretty sparse in general. 

Likewise I went up to Angel/Islington last Friday night and again most places were pretty empty. 

These areas used to be buzzing on Fridays. Are people just not drinking anymore?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Went on a pub crawl around St James Park Station Station couple of Fridays back. Started at 1pm and the first pub we met in had 4 other people in it the whole time we were there- about an hour. On a Friday lunchtime.

It got a bit livelier as it got near 5pm, but was generally dead. 

You wonder how long that sort of thing can go on for until pubs start closing even more quickly than they have been.
  • Options
    Still, I'm doing my bit for the pub trade in Beckenham right now ....

• Options
    Is that The George?
  • Options
    Went to Southend last week on Wednesday and went into a small pub right on the sea front at 5.30pm. The barman said I was the 4th customer of the day and they had been open since 11am. Did a good hour before a bloke and his dog walked in. 
    Sad times although it was a Sh@thole! Or a traditional pub I prefer ! 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Young’s has snaffled up The Union and going to turn it in to one pub.  Seems a shame to me. Youngs is taking over but better than being more flats.

https://twitter.com/ukpubbitch/status/1380456538226184195?s=21

The Tolly started going downhill when they knocked through from the saloon to the public bar.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    There’s been a bit of a bug going around mate 
    Haha! I didn't think people were that bothered to be honest, at least not from what I've witnessed so far.
  • Options
    I was out at Market Porter Friday before last and Borough Market was rammed 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Is that The George?
    Yes
  • Options
    Used to use The George in Beckenham for matches with the Charlton Athletic quiz team (B54s ?) back in the 90's along with The Greyhound in Sydenham. Pleased to see it's still open.