Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    @Vincenzo it is....see comments a few lines up there :-)

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Saw on FB last night that the Guy Earl of Warwick in Welling has been closed and is becoming a housing development.
    Probably old news on here.
    noticed that the other day - have heard 2 conflicting stories, one that it's going to be flats and the other that it'll still be a pub but be refurbed. 

Was never really a busy pub apart from football days.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Saw on FB last night that the Guy Earl of Warwick in Welling has been closed and is becoming a housing development.
    noticed that the other day - have heard 2 conflicting stories, one that it's going to be flats and the other that it'll still be a pub but be refurbed. 

Was never really a busy pub apart from football days.
    The last manager run off with all the takings
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    We drunk there a lot over the years JB but I never really liked it there
  • Options

Guy Earl of Warwick

Park View Road, Welling, Kent, DA16 1TB

PUB MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE ESSENTIAL. REFURBISHMENT PLANNED

https://www.greenekingpubs.co.uk/pub-to-let/guy-earl-warwick-welling

• Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Bus stops with pub names sounds like a project for @Vincenzo
  • Options
    We're down to one pub down here in Shepherdswell now, The Bell.  The Bricks was shut some years ago and is now being turned into housing, and The Tipsy Gardener  (a fabulous Micro Pub run by an Addick) is now closed as they are taking retirement and moving.

The Bell only opens when they feel like it nowadays.

The Bell was our mate’s local, when he lived across the green. Spent many evening in there.
    Yep, used to really enjoy our trips down to J’s place and The Bell.  J used to work in there as well. Decent sized village, so would hope they’d do a decent trade if the only pub left.  Not sure if J’s mum still has the family home there, I’ll see if I can find out. 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    We're down to one pub down here in Shepherdswell now, The Bell.  The Bricks was shut some years ago and is now being turned into housing, and The Tipsy Gardener  (a fabulous Micro Pub run by an Addick) is now closed as they are taking retirement and moving.

The Bell was our mate’s local, when he lived across the green. Spent many evening in there.
    Yep, used to really enjoy our trips down to J’s place and The Bell.  J used to work in there as well. Decent sized village, so would hope they’d do a decent trade if the only pub left.  Not sure if J’s mum still has the family home there, I’ll see if I can find out. 

Whereabouts on the Green did he live?
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

The big house over the green, our mate was a hamster and the house was called Upton house. It’s on Mill lane
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    We drunk there a lot over the years JB but I never really liked it there
    Agreed.  Strange to describe but always felt like we weren't welcome.  Always felt like you were on edge in there.  Even the Saturdays over Welling Utd before and after.  Really strange.  To be fair, the last time I walked into the Nags Head in Welling (about 7-8 years ago now), I got the same feeling.  Perhaps I'm just a bit more aware of unsavoury characters nowadays lol.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    TelMc32 said:

The big house over the green, our mate was a hamster and the house was called Upton house. It’s on Mill lane

What was the family name if you don't mind me asking?

• Options
    TelMc32 said:

Hansell
  • Options
    addickson said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Bus stops with pub names sounds like a project for @Vincenzo
    Ha ha! Have done something along those lines. 
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Hansell

I will ask around. Not many people move away from here.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:

Hansell

They’re building his mum a new house in the garden of the family home, which will then be sold. So you’re right, not moving away 😉
  • Options
    The Roman Galley pub used in The Jolly Boys outing is still there but changed to a nursing home and is now, i think , residential. Still makes me smile everytime i go past it on the A299, thinking of Rodney kicking the football.  All of those big pubs have gone now with the demise of the work booze trips to Margate. Happy days and wonderful memories. 
    Stopped in it, a few times on the way back from a work’s beano in Margate in the 80’s. Coaches had leave Margate before 6pm I think.
    That’s right coaches had to leave Margate by 6pm. I used to go on the London Electricity Board beano out of Bexleyheath. We would stop in Roman Galleon on the way down and buy a ticket for the evening disco. They used to try an balance out the boys and girls so it wasn’t to much of a blokefest. Mate of mine met an married a nurse from Romford on one of our trips. 
    I used to go on the LEB beanos as well - I certainly remember Margate and Hastings beanos - mid/late 60s.

My mum worked in Bexleyheath for the LEB and my dad worked for them for 39 years out of Woolwich, from school until he died in 1964.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    TelMc32 said:

Hansell

I will ask round. Not many people move away from here.
    They’re building his mum a new house in the garden of the family home, which will then be sold. So you’re right, not moving away 😉

I think I know where you mean. I'm going up there later today I will have a look.
  • Options
    clive said:

Guy Earl of Warwick

Park View Road, Welling, Kent, DA16 1TB

PUB MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE ESSENTIAL. REFURBISHMENT PLANNED

https://www.greenekingpubs.co.uk/pub-to-let/guy-earl-warwick-welling

Hope this stays open as it is the venue for the Great Welling Beerfest, run by the local Rotary club - always a great event.
  • Options
    Anyone know if the White Horse on the lower road between woolwich/Charlton Is open these days?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Shag said:
    Anyone know if the White Horse on the lower road between woolwich/Charlton Is open these days?
    Yes mate, Bar and Bistro these days
  • Options
    Shag said:
    Yes and you can get served easily and nearer to the ground than The Rose.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    For an alternative match day pint, the Crown on Trafalgar Rd, just down from Maze Hill station, has had (another) change of ownership (last year, admittedly) and now has an absolutely cracking selection of craft beer on tap if that's your thing. My new pre-match venue, followed by The Ale House after of course... Cheers
    So, going back to the 80's and forwards, what was that premises as I don't remember a pub being there.
    There used to be a KFC there or therabouts. 
    It was called Ricks Bar years back, it used to be run by the people who had the Mitre at Greenwich South Street, so you're going back about 30 yrs now. Don't know what it was called after Rick's bar though 🤔
    Different place - Rick’s is a bookies now, has been for about 15 years.

The Crown is on the corner by the laundrette - has always been there, was rough for years. Got done up about eight years ago by the people behind the Duke in Deptford, but during the lockdown the freeholder took it back and relaunched it as a craft beer and pizza place.
    Am reliably informed it's pretty decent now. 

Yes it is 😁
  • Options
    Shag said:
    Yes mate, Bar and Bistro these days
    It's no different than it's ever been ie a dump.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    TelMc32 said:
    TelMc32 said:

Hansell

Yep, went past there yesterday, big house right opposite the pub got lots of hoarding round it while they do the build.
    Mum's name is Wendy if I'm right.

The Bricklayers is being converted into what looks like flats, and they've built 2 x 4 bed houses in the car park of the Bricks with postage stamp gardens and one parking space each.  Snip at £400,000 each.
  • Options

No sign of a problem in Shrewsbury fortunately.
    A lovely place full of pubs, and loads being very pleasant.
  • Options
    Woolwich pub the Anglesea Arms has had its license revoked by Greenwich Council’s Licensing Committee.
    https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2022/06/07/woolwich-pub-has-license-revoked/
  • Options
    clive said:
    Woolwich pub the Anglesea Arms has had its license revoked by Greenwich Council’s Licensing Committee.
    https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2022/06/07/woolwich-pub-has-license-revoked/
    I thought licenses were granted to a person, not the premises. Has that changed?
  • Options
    The premises are licensed, the person responsible for the legal operation of the license is licensee.

If the license is operated incorrectly the licensee can be removed. If it's felt that the premises are unsuitable to hold a license then it is the building itself which loses its license.
  • Options
    Looks like a bit of a shithole to be honest.