Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    I'm surprised we haven't seen ice cream vans converted into mobile pubs
  • Options
    I'm surprised we haven't seen ice cream vans converted into mobile pubs

Get on Dragons Den, this time next year....and all that.

• Options

Geoff from the Pelton / Shortlands and ex White Swan is doing this if anyone is interested?

Looks good , does anyone know if the bexley ales are bright beers or regular?
  • Options
    Like Browns,forget its old name when a pub, opposite the big church in Shorditch used in the tv series Rev. You could even park outside, quick pint, 50p in the jug, and back to work after the double act which finished the lunchtime tutorial
    50p? That must have been years ago, it’s always been a pound (so my mates tell me)
    I remember this well 50p in a pint jug was the norm, and the “Lady” would come round following her performance and shake it under your nose.  Whilst 
    South of the River by London Bridge similar entertainment could be found in the Royal Oak in Tooley Strret. 
  • Options

Geoff from the Pelton / Shortlands and ex White Swan is doing this if anyone is interested?

So let me get this right, he comes to your door and delivers a draft pint that’s poured from barrels that are in the back of the cab. Proper Guinness with a head .... ??
  • Options
    edited January 2021

So let me get this right, he comes to your door and delivers a draft pint that’s poured from barrels that are in the back of the cab. Proper Guinness with a head .... ??
    Yep , Guinness not a problem or larger & most (but not all) cider would be fine as there is no sediment to kick up but a good ale needs to rest & breathe before it’s ready & even a slight knock to the barrel can give you a pint full of floating bits & bobs.

Some bigger brewers such as greene king with their  IPA have hardly anything in it & they like it like that as it’s easier to achieve a consistent pint despite the cellar management in any given pub , it can also be chucked off the wagon & ready in 24hrs & some filter this out to produce a bright beer with no yeast floating about so they will rest a barrel then pour into a 2nd barrel to leave the sediment in the 1st barrel like they do for canned & bottled ales , the trouble with this is some people like a pint at different stages , I have a customer who will tell if a barrel is green (just tapped) it’s ready but very new but with active ingredients in the barrel the flavour will mature over days so the last pint can be quite different to the first   It’s just a matter of taste & you need a fair set of taste buds to tell the difference especially in mass produced ales.

Temperature is the other main problem in a good pint of ale , whilst it can be served at quite a variance in temperature from 10-12 degrees right up to room temperature 20-22 degrees it does not like change in temperature once tapped & I notice this cab has no Refrigaration it would need to be well planned to get right.

Im guessing it’s bright beer as it makes most of the above issues less of a problem, it’s not the same as a real barrel but in these times I think people are just grateful for a fresh poured real ale, good luck to him & this is what needs to be done at the moment to save livelihoods , spot the gap ,adapt & fill it. 
    I hope it works for him........Geoff is a good bloke and known to quite a few on here I think?!?

I probably won't bother as drinking for me is more about the social element than the beer itself - but I reckon there are enough people locally who would just fancy a couple of freshly poured draft pints.
  • Options
    Like Browns,forget its old name when a pub, opposite the big church in Shorditch used in the tv series Rev. You could even park outside, quick pint, 50p in the jug, and back to work after the double act which finished the lunchtime tutorial
    50p? That must have been years ago, it’s always been a pound (so my mates tell me)
    I remember this well 50p in a pint jug was the norm, and the “Lady” would come round following her performance and shake it under your nose.  Whilst 
    South of the River by London Bridge similar entertainment could be found in the Royal Oak in Tooley Strret. 
    Lol I remember we popped into one on the way back from our last stint at Hendon one Sunday as it was the only pub open.
    Didn’t bother me at all until the Doris stuck the pint jug under my nose.
    ’Bog off love, you weren’t that impressive, I’m only here for the ale’
    She didn’t find it funny 🤷‍♀️🤣🤣🤣
  • Options

Yep , Guinness not a problem or larger & most (but not all) cider would be fine as there is no sediment to kick up but a good ale needs to rest & breathe before it’s ready & even a slight knock to the barrel can give you a pint full of floating bits & bobs.

Some bigger brewers such as greene king with their  IPA have hardly anything in it & they like it like that as it’s easier to achieve a consistent pint despite the cellar management in any given pub , it can also be chucked off the wagon & ready in 24hrs & some filter this out to produce a bright beer with no yeast floating about so they will rest a barrel then pour into a 2nd barrel to leave the sediment in the 1st barrel like they do for canned & bottled ales , the trouble with this is some people like a pint at different stages , I have a customer who will tell if a barrel is green (just tapped) it’s ready but very new but with active ingredients in the barrel the flavour will mature over days so the last pint can be quite different to the first   It’s just a matter of taste & you need a fair set of taste buds to tell the difference especially in mass produced ales.

Temperature is the other main problem in a good pint of ale , whilst it can be served at quite a variance in temperature from 10-12 degrees right up to room temperature 20-22 degrees it does not like change in temperature once tapped & I notice this cab has no Refrigaration it would need to be well planned to get right.

Im guessing it’s bright beer as it makes most of the above issues less of a problem, it’s not the same as a real barrel but in these times I think people are just grateful for a fresh poured real ale, good luck to him & this is what needs to be done at the moment to save livelihoods , spot the gap ,adapt & fill it. 
    Sod all that, just crack open a bottle of Bud and jobs a good un :-) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

yeah, but some people have taste. 
  • Options
    Had to go to Greenwich for work today and had a mooch round places I used to pop in for a swift half. 
    Whilst finding the (I assume now permanently closed) grey coat boy on haddo estate, I noticed an old sign for the bell a few doors down. 
    I drank in the greycoat the summer of 87 and a quick google of the bell finds suggestions that it was still open then yet I can’t remember it.
    anyone know when it closed?
  • Options
    Grey Coat Boy...... happy memories of that pub used it a lot in my late teens and early rwenties. Fudge me that was a long time ago I'm nearly 74 now!
  • Options

Just crack open a bottle of no taste Buds and jobs a good un :-)

• Options
    My Bud bait always catches the real ale fishes :-) 
    WUM :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good, must cost them a fortune to rebuild it as it was. The more times they are forced to do that the fewer times they will break the law and knock it down in the first place. 
  • Options
    The “new” pub looks lovely!
  • Options

Pub chain JD Wetherspoon plans to open 18 new pubs and create 2,000 new jobs in a £145m upgrade - but only if there are no more Covid restrictions.

The company said it would also "significantly extend" 57 existing pubs as part of the project.

It "will provide work for architects, contractors and builders as well as result in 2,000 new jobs for staff in our pubs," said boss Tim Martin.

But he warned the project would not go ahead if there are further lockdowns.

The company already has 871 pubs and new ones are planned in locations including Leeds, Birmingham, Newport Pagnell, Heswall, Sheffield, Felixstowe, Dublin, Haverfordwest, Carmarthen and Glasgow.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56574785

• Options
    It was Browns in 1980, If it had another name it was a long time ago. There were loads of similar establishments in the area. I’ve forgotten almost all of their names,
    Browns used to be The Horns. The name has been re-used by the family by their their second bar near Old Street station.
  • Options
    It started out as silver coins then went up to 50p then £1. 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    50p? That must have been years ago, it’s 
    It started out as silver coins then went up to 50p then £1. 

But if you stayed for a while it could get quite expensive because every dance cost money. Heard ' i only want to look at them, not buy them', when a bloke only put 50p in and the 'artiste' queried his donation.
  • Options
    clive said:

Pub chain JD Wetherspoon plans to open 18 new pubs and create 2,000 new jobs in a £145m upgrade - but only if there are no more Covid restrictions.

The company said it would also "significantly extend" 57 existing pubs as part of the project.

It "will provide work for architects, contractors and builders as well as result in 2,000 new jobs for staff in our pubs," said boss Tim Martin.

The company already has 871 pubs and new ones are planned in locations including Leeds, Birmingham, Newport Pagnell, Heswall, Sheffield, Felixstowe, Dublin, Haverfordwest, Carmarthen and Glasgow.

God bless Tim Martin.

• Options
    clive said:

God bless Tim Martin.

The Primark of pubs