Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    We are getting their - narrowed it down to Kennington...

My Father far right facing in Barman at The Prince Regent Kennington 1950s
    I wonder how long the twat with the accordion lasted before someone chinned him?
    Millwall territory, about 20 seconds...
  • Options

I wonder how long the twat with the accordion lasted before someone chinned him?
    Millwall territory, about 20 seconds...
    ...unless it was being used as some kind of air propelled beak dispenser.
  • Options
    Pubs finally reopening in Ireland today.

Will probably wait a few days but I’m really looking forward to just going in for a pint.

Not done that since February 😳😩🍺
  • Options

Will probably wait a few days but I’m really looking forward to just going in for a pint.

Healthier and wealthier though?
  • Options

Healthier and wealthier though?
    You’d think so but I’ve drunk more at home during lockdown than I would if I went to the pub.
    Drink drive rules are strict here so I’m usually the designated driver & on the 00 😳

But we have a hotel within walking distance that has a pub that brews its own.
    That first pint of Sherkin Lass is gonna be sweeeeeeeeeet 😊🍺
  • Options

Looking at the size of him, I'm going for no-one, even after eight hours of it.
  • Options
    Barclay Perkins is the only readable name, maybe an independent?
    Barclay Perkins were a major london brewer until the 1950's when they merged with Courage to become Courage Barclay Perkins. They  brewed at what twas the Anchor Brewery  in Borough Market and probably their most famous product was Imperial Russian Stout. The brewery  was run down by Courage  who focussed theoir brewing in Reading. I was sat in a small office in Borough Market  talking about Corporate governance in 2018 whilst  watching the brewery being demolished as well. We appear to be going full circle with a lot of the small local microbreweries  starting up serving one or two pubs. Hopefully they will survive the Covid epidemic better than the Wetherspoons of this world.

I am told that russian stout is still made somewhere in one of the multinational water companies probably relabelled  as, and taste likes Putin p!** ,rather than the very strong  beverage it used to be, which was only sold in 1/3rd pint bottles.
    Charles Wells bought the Courage Portfolio in 2011 and now brew the Courage range including Courage Best (Gertcha, pint of Courage Best), Light Ale, Directors and Imperial. 

They will, I'd assume, have adopted the original recipes and so will be brewing beer true to the original...I think RIS is brewed occasionally...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Marstons bought out Wells a few years ago. 
  • Options
    I used to drink the Courage Imperial Russian Stout back in the 70s. Almost black with a liquorice like taste and a kick like a mule if you drank it too quickly.

Can't remember now how strong it was but well stronger than just about any other beer available at the time.
    Smaller bottle than normal.

Didn't  know it was still available, as haven't come across it anywhere.

• Options
    Barclay Perkins is the only readable name, maybe an independent?
    Barclay Perkins were a major london brewer until the 1950's when they merged with Courage to become Courage Barclay Perkins. They  brewed at what twas the Anchor Brewery  in Borough Market and probably their most famous product was Imperial Russian Stout. The brewery  was run down by Courage  who focussed theoir brewing in Reading. I was sat in a small office in Borough Market  talking about Corporate governance in 2018 whilst  watching the brewery being demolished as well. We appear to be going full circle with a lot of the small local microbreweries  starting up serving one or two pubs. Hopefully they will survive the Covid epidemic better than the Wetherspoons of this world.

I am told that russian stout is still made somewhere in one of the multinational water companies probably relabelled  as, and taste likes Putin p!** ,rather than the very strong  beverage it used to be, which was only sold in 1/3rd pint bottles.
    Charles Wells bought the Courage Portfolio in 2011 and now brew the Courage range including Courage Best (Gertcha, pint of Courage Best), Light Ale, Directors and Imperial. 

They will, I'd assume, have adopted the original recipes and so will be brewing beer true to the original...I think RIS is brewed occasionally...
    Charles Wells of Bedford also brew Youngs bitter and unsurprisingly it doesnt taste the same as it did in the days of Wandsworth. Like GreenKing  they are tring to brew everyone elses beers with water from Bedford (GK Bury St Edmunds) and don't realise the importance of the original hops/water or local barley. When Greene King closed down their own excellent Biggleswade brewery in the 90's the head brewer set up his own Potton Brewery a few miles to the enorth of the original site and started brewing some excellent beers such as Shambles and Village Bike. He started to sell widely through Tesco before their buying regime  reputedly tried to make him sell beer to them at less than the cost of brewing it. 
    A lamentable loss.
    From SE London few remember Beasley's Brewery  which also went in the early 60's to the Courage portfolio. Thankfully we now have excellent  microbreweries 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Which reminds me.......anyone heard from Chirpy/Riviera lately?
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I used to drink the Courage Imperial Russian Stout back in the 70s. Almost black with a liquorice like taste and a kick like a mule if you drank it too quickly.

Can't remember now how strong it was but well stronger than just about any other beer available at the time.

The Camra Good Beer Guide 1976 lists Courage Russian Stout with an original gravity of 1108.8.  That's about 11 per cent alcohol.

"Naturally conditioned.  It is a rich, heavy brew, the strongest beer of any kind regularly on sale in Britain."
  • Options
    Thanks, Viewfinder. I knew it was pokey, but 11% ...... !

Back in the 70s the 'Real Ale' as CAMRA dubbed it back then, was getting scarcer and scarcer and most pubs were selling the cold fizzy keg stuff, which the big breweries were trying to push upon us.

Amongst the bigger brewers, Courage at least had their cooking bitter 'Courage Best' and stronger 'Directors' to keep us going.
    Not all of their pubs stocked the Russian Stout, so it was a treat to find one that did. Was it something you drank yourself?

• Options

Looking at the size of him, I'm going for no-one, even after eight hours of it.
    Jesus, hes like Jaws from the James Bond films!

What's the betting hes only 5ft 10 really and the others are all stunted little Bermondsey bruisers? Imagine some poor seaside pub when that lot come in all shandied up and singing "let em come let em come....."
  • Options
    James May buys half The Royal Oak (No not that one).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAfwfZr0EHo

• Options
    Not a pub but Cafe De Paris is closing for good.

• Options
    Not a pub but Cafe De Paris is closing for good.

What a crying shame, had some good nights in there. An was made famous in many pop videos both in recent and past years. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The Three Blackbirds at Blendon, did not open when allowed to after the most recent relaxation of the rules. Rumours are that this may not return. 
  • Options

The Three Blackbirds at Blendon, did not open when allowed to after the most recent relaxation of the rules. Rumours are that this may not return. 
    Hope that’s not the case and would be surprised. Good pub location and decent trade 
  • Options
    I was planning/hoping on getting in a mini-keg of London Pride for when the old man came round on Christmas day, but it's been sold out for weeks.

But when the Tier 4 cancellation of Christmas was announced I got onto the Long Pond and bought two mini-kegs instead, delivered the very next day. I know they probably don't make much per keg, but I wanted to help out in some way. 

And it's not as if I'm going to struggle to put away 16 pints on my own over the course of a few days!

• Options
    Off_it said:
    I was planning/hoping on getting in a mini-keg of London Pride for when the old man came round on Christmas day, but it's been sold out for weeks.

But when the Tier 4 cancellation of Christmas was announced I got onto the Long Pond and bought two mini-kegs instead, delivered the very next day. I know they probably don't make much per keg, but I wanted to help out in some way. 

And it's not as if I'm going to struggle to put away 16 pints on my own over the course of a few days!

Did precisely the same thing. The Long Pond is a very good option and they have a decent range of Ales and a Pilsner, which I'll be getting involved with soon.
  • Options
    Sadly Pubs have been disappearing for years. When I meet  with my mates we often discuss to the pubs from our youth (late 80’s early90’s) and what they have become now. 
    Covid has been the final nail in the coffin for many.
    it’s a really sad state of affairs. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

The Camra Good Beer Guide 1976 lists Courage Russian Stout with an original gravity of 1108.8.  That's about 11 per cent alcohol.

"Naturally conditioned.  It is a rich, heavy brew, the strongest beer of any kind regularly on sale in Britain."
    I'm a big fan of Imperial Stout and I still have 1 bottle of the original stuff, from the last year it was brewed by Courage of old, dated 1993. Last time I opened one it was superb. I've brewed it myself a few times, but not since the mid-2000s. There's been a number of other breweries who's attempted it and Courage have brewed it a few times since the 90s, but their batches tend to be exclusively for the US market, so they're very rare over here. Needless to say, I have got a few of those bottles lying about.
  • Options
    Just like retail on the high street that has been effected by Covid and even prior was being affected by the change in peoples shopping habits to more online, Pubs have been hit hard by lockdowns but equally I think even before Covid people visited pubs less than they did 10 or more years ago, much less in my view.

Gone for most is the popping to the pub on the way home from work. I suspect in a lot of areas those that survive will be the micro pubs or those providing quality food so it becomes more of a family restaurant and less of a pub drinking establishment.

As sad as it may seem, as many pubs will remain or re-open as are needed, that need is likely to be much less than in prior years, it's the punters just not using them like they once did.

Our high streets are going to look pretty deserted and a plan needs to happen as to what the high street of the future will look like and not just another 6 bookies.

• Options
    Exactly, covid has hurried things up rather than changed things. I'm 54. For the first part of my working life, a couple of pints at lunch was pretty much expected. If I did that now I'd expect to be sacked. I still like my local but it's never going to win any pub of the year awards and I'm still a few years from reaching the average age of the people in there. The food is ok because the guvnor lets us order takeaway pizzas and eat them in there. 

Well designed apartment buildings with some shop and leisure use on the ground floor is how whatever passes for a High Street will probably look.