Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• The number of pubs in the UK grew last year for the first time in yonks:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51135755
  • edited January 2020
    se9addick said:
    The number of pubs in the UK grew last year for the first time in yonks:

No doubt includes the recent wave of micro-pubs in old shop units.

I was in Sittingbourne last weekend and there's 2 new micro-pubs opened on the High Street in the past 15 months.
    But in recent years, several pubs in traditional character buildings have closed.

Some of these old period buildings can be under threat. And they can be lost too.

• Oggy Red said:
    se9addick said:
    The number of pubs in the UK grew last year for the first time in yonks:

No doubt includes the recent wave of micro-pubs in old shop units.

do you think that people who used to frequent those shops bemoan them being used as ale houses the way some bemoan pubs being turned into shops?

oh there used to be a lovely little travel agent, booked every holiday we ever had through there, they even did our honeymoon, now its full of drunks drinking rosey nosey and what not
  • Had to meet a mate on Tuesday night agreed on the Shakespeare at Victoria, well no wonder people have 1 and leave 

estrella £5.95 
    london pale £6.35 

ridiculous prices. 
    Would like to see the breakdown of those prices up Town. When I was looking at getting a pub, they reckon the Net profit on sales in a "Country, wet led" pub is around 20%.
    20% will be a tied leasehold/tenanted pub , the beer tie ,rent & rates is where it’s all going , my freehold country pub can push 55% & still be cheaper than most down that way 
  • Some of those little micro pubs are pretty cool, much better than seeing another pound shop on the high street. Kent seems to have loads of them. 
  • Had to meet a mate on Tuesday night agreed on the Shakespeare at Victoria, well no wonder people have 1 and leave 

estrella £5.95 
    london pale £6.35 

ridiculous prices. 
    Would like to see the breakdown of those prices up Town. When I was looking at getting a pub, they reckon the Net profit on sales in a "Country, wet led" pub is around 20%.
    20% will be a tied leasehold/tenanted pub , the beer tie ,rent & rates is where it’s all going , my freehold country pub can push 55% & still be cheaper than most down that way 
    who's up for a beano to @Spitfire76's then?
  • I have two here & probably the only ones in Buckinghamshire to have Charlton memorabilia behind the bar!
  • I have two here & probably the only ones in Buckinghamshire to have Charlton memorabilia behind the bar!
    Good man. We can rely on you to spread the Charlton message. :smile:

• It’s hard going up here , I’ve been in pubs for 40yrs all over the south from Kent coast to wales & I’ve never been in an area with so little interest in football , although being on the doorstep of oxford , MK , Northampton & Peterborough I got to see the lads at more away games in league 1 in fact because of my job I’ve been to far more Charlton away games than home!
  • It’s hard going up here , I’ve been in pubs for 40yrs all over the south from Kent coast to wales & I’ve never been in an area with so little interest in football , although being on the doorstep of oxford , MK , Northampton & Peterborough I got to see the lads at more away games in league 1 in fact because of my job I’ve been to far more Charlton away games than home!
    Do you want any Roland Ruin beermats??! 
  • Sponsored links:

• That would be awesome it made me laugh when I saw that come out ,was it a nice pint?
  • Croydon said:
    Had to meet a mate on Tuesday night agreed on the Shakespeare at Victoria, well no wonder people have 1 and leave 

estrella £5.95 
    london pale £6.35 

ridiculous prices. 
    2 Wetherspoons within spitting distance at half the price.
    The Shakespeare feels like a spoons anyway. Hideous tourist pub.
    Was Chelsea's boozer in the 80's.
  • That would be awesome it made me laugh when I saw that come out ,was it a nice pint?
    It sold out on the day.  It was very popular. 
  • For those who knew it, the Bricks in Shepherdswell is being turned into housing, with two more being built behind it in the car park. The Bell still going, along with the Tipsy Gardener which is run by an Addick.

• Went to the Star & Garter in Bromley the other night. Bloody hell, what a pub. A fantastic selection of beer, on cask and keg. £3 a pint of cask from Northern Monk and some real bangers in the taps, from Cloudwater, Verdant and Deya. 
  • A decision is to be made by Bromley council next week on the future of the Porcupine in Mottingham.
  • Vincenzo said:
    Went to the Star & Garter in Bromley the other night. Bloody hell, what a pub. A fantastic selection of beer, on cask and keg. £3 a pint of cask from Northern Monk and some real bangers in the taps, from Cloudwater, Verdant and Deya. 
    Sounds brilliant.

Was the place busy?

• A decision is to be made by Bromley council next week on the future of the Porcupine in Mottingham.
    Although I hate to see 99% of pubs go......the Porcupine is in the 1% that I don’t.
    Utter s***t hole.
  • Wow, won’t venture there then. Damning indictment from you @SoundAsa£
    Although I hate to see 99% of pubs go......the Porcupine is in the 1% that I don’t.
    Utter s***t hole.
    Agreed and i bet 99% of those who saved it would never dream of using it.
  • Sponsored links:

Utter s***t hole.
    Is it Lidl again? I know they wanted to develop before but didnt get planning permission so sold it.
  • Vincenzo said:
    Went to the Star & Garter in Bromley the other night. Bloody hell, what a pub. A fantastic selection of beer, on cask and keg. £3 a pint of cask from Northern Monk and some real bangers in the taps, from Cloudwater, Verdant and Deya. 
    Shame the staff behind the counter are so miserable.
  • Been there a few times and found the staff ok.
    Utter s***t hole.
    Is it Lidl again? I know they wanted to develop before but didnt get planning permission so sold it.
    Yep, still Lidl
    Utter s***t hole.
    Yep, still Lidl
    They need to make a decision how many years has it been boarded up now? 
    I dont know what it was like 20yrs ago, heard it was a pretty decent pub but anytime i went in there i thought it was a dive. Its a shame if it cant be taken over and stay as a pub, its pretty big old building and not many of those big pubs left in the area. Think it will be a supermarket this time next year though
    Utter s***t hole.
    Trouble is, 9 times out of 10 bad landlords won’t last long in any one place and it’s usually the people that use pubs that create the shithole environment.
    By shutting shitholes down you just increase the chances of those people moving on to change other pubs into shitholes.

estrella £5.95 
    london pale £6.35 

ridiculous prices. 
    I was looking at buying a freeold pub in Devon, after taking running costs off the profits on sales, it was coming out at around 20%, on it's last 3 years trading up until 2018. Maybe their pricing needed looking at
  • Oggy Red said:
    Vincenzo said:
    Sounds brilliant.

Was the place busy?

Not rammed but had a few in, yes.
  • Vincenzo said:
    Shame the staff behind the counter are so miserable.
    Didn't get that experience. Helpful woman behind the bar made some good suggestions when she saw me paralysed by all the choices.
    Utter s***t hole.
    Doesn't mean it would be if it reopened.