Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    Just seen on a Facebook page that The Noah's Ark in Deptford has been levelled? 

Surely these building can be used in their original form in some way or another, even if it's not as a pub?
    Unbelievable. I was a regular in there back in the mid to late 80s. 
    It's sad mate
  • Options

Surely these building can be used in their original form in some way or another, even if it's not as a pub?
    It's sad mate
    Very sad. Had many a lock in there ! Back in those days, there must have been over a dozen pubs in and around the High Street. I bet there’s only a couple left.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

It's sad mate
    It’s disgusting and should be an imprisonments me offence to level an historic building without approval. 

It’s sad the old boozers can’t make a business of it but there are plenty of pubs that are thriving.

The Crown in Greenwich on the Woolwich Road is thriving with it’s amazing pizzas, you go in between 5-7 most days and certainly the weekends and it’s full of families eating and it’s full later often as well.

The White Swan and the Pelton seem to do alright with their decent menu, live music and decent beer.

the Cutty Sark is a decent gastropub

the Pilot sells decent beer and does a good Sunday roast

Gypsy Moth is ok for a tourist trap

Guildford Arms just been redeveloped into a high end food place

The River does great beers and has the benefit of being owned by a Charlton season ticket owner. Often very busy and the beer is cheap especially if you are a CAMRA member.

Morden Arms is a quirky place with a decent amount of live music. Found out recently owned by a couple must be in their 60s and run it as a proper boozer. Take cash as they don’t take cards

So while it’s not all rosy you can still make money out of pubs and there are some great ones still around. 

The above are the ones I’ve been in most in the last couple of months but would love to hear of others. 

• Options
    All those pubs are in Greenwich (bar the Swan) which is a lovely area to go drinking in.  That certainly does help as there is a lot of footfall and people specifically go drinking in Greenwich for pub crawls.  I like the Yacht which you missed off.  

The Red Lion has been taken over since its last refurbishment.  It has been taken over by a member of the family that run the Anchor in Charlton.  He also runs the Shooters Hill Rugby Club.  Looks like it will do well with the food back on again.  Not been in yet since the latest refurb but good to see it will keep going.

• Options
    FFS the Naohs Arc was one of my locals when i loved in Deptford. Hope the arsehole who had it torn down gets banged up.
  • Options
    FFS the Naohs Arc was one of my locals when i loved in Deptford. Hope the arsehole who had it torn down gets banged up.
    Then sent to prison 
  • Options

It's sad mate
    Very sad. Had many a lock in there ! Back in those days, there must have been over a dozen pubs in and around the High Street. I bet there’s only a couple left.
    Think the White Swan is the only one left in an original pub building in Deptford High Street

There's some post-gentrification venues - The Job Centre, some stuff under the railway arches, couple of cocktail bars in former shop premises, nothing much for the traditionalists though. Sad to see, especially as the old pub buildings are still very recognisable, but now populated by bookies, solicitors etc. 

Bird's Nest and Dog & Bell still going strong though.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

It's sad mate
    Think the White Swan is the only one left in an original pub building in Deptford High Street

There's some post-gentrification venues - The Job Centre, some stuff under the railway arches, couple of cocktail bars in former shop premises, nothing much for the traditionalists though. Sad to see, especially as the old pub buildings are still very recognisable, but now populated by bookies, solicitors etc. 

Gin and Beer in Deptford closed last week.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

It's sad mate

Drive past the birds nest every now and again late doors and always looks lively! Never been in though
  • Options
    Alwaysneil said: don’t presume these busy pubs are making money & thriving ,it’s easy to fill a pub but not so easy to make money from.

It's sad mate
    It’s disgusting and should be an imprisonments me offence to level an historic building without approval. 

It’s sad the old boozers can’t make a business of it but there are plenty of pubs that are thriving.

The Crown in Greenwich on the Woolwich Road is thriving with it’s amazing pizzas, you go in between 5-7 most days and certainly the weekends and it’s full of families eating and it’s full later often as well.

The White Swan and the Pelton seem to do alright with their decent menu, live music and decent beer.

the Cutty Sark is a decent gastropub

the Pilot sells decent beer and does a good Sunday roast

Gypsy Moth is ok for a tourist trap

Guildford Arms just been redeveloped into a high end food place

The River does great beers and has the benefit of being owned by a Charlton season ticket owner. Often very busy and the beer is cheap especially if you are a CAMRA member.

Morden Arms is a quirky place with a decent amount of live music. Found out recently owned by a couple must be in their 60s and run it as a proper boozer. Take cash as they don’t take cards

So while it’s not all rosy you can still make money out of pubs and there are some great ones still around. 

The above are the ones I’ve been in most in the last couple of months but would love to hear of others. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    ^^ not sure what I did there with the quote!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Boom said:
    MrLargo said:

It's sad mate

Drive past the birds nest every now and again late doors and always looks lively! Never been in though
    Lol, you mean your “chauffeur” drives you home that way every now and again.

Am surprised you’re ever awake or sober enough to notice it!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    MrLargo said:

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/18069520.lewisham-council-investigating-noahs-ark-pub-deptford-demolished-without-permission/

Demolished without planning permission. A lovely building that'll get replaced with a bland block of flats.
    Just read that report. Unbelievable mate
    https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/developers-start-to-rebuild-london-pub-brick-by-brick-after-illegally-demolishing-it/07/09/

You never know it might be rebuilt.
    The developer is already £300k in debt by the looks of it.
    Not a chance they will finish rebuilding that in my view - and I probably know more than most on here about this one.

That said, by most accounts it was an absolute pit anyway. I bet that fella from Red Dwarf wasn’t a regular, unless he was dealing/buying.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

It's sad mate

The Dog & Bell is a great little pub, although a little scary getting to/from in the dark!
  • Options
    If think that was scary then you wouldn't have liked The Mad House , use to fall out of that place walk across the road into my flat. Plod tried to make it their after hours boozer once --- the locals turned their cars over on their roofs ! 

Is the Harp of Erin still there or the Hoy ?
  • Options
    If think that was scary then you wouldn't have liked The Mad House , use to fall out of that place walk across the road into my flat. Plod tried to make it their after hours boozer once --- the locals turned their cars over on their roofs ! 

The Harp is a estate agents now mate
  • Options
    @Goonerhater , what was the pub on the green in Deptford, used to go in there with a couple of Millwall mates
  • Options
    I lived in Deptford green mate but where are u calling the green?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    It's the Lord Clyde mate, just remembered it.

Sure they had a crossbar from the old Den bolted to the ceiling in there
  • Options
    Had to meet a mate on Tuesday night agreed on the Shakespeare at Victoria, well no wonder people have 1 and leave 

estrella £5.95 
    london pale £6.35 

ridiculous prices. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Had to meet a mate on Tuesday night agreed on the Shakespeare at Victoria, well no wonder people have 1 and leave 

estrella £5.95 
    london pale £6.35 

ridiculous prices. 
    Would like to see the breakdown of those prices up Town. When I was looking at getting a pub, they reckon the Net profit on sales in a "Country, wet led" pub is around 20%.
  • Options

estrella £5.95 
    london pale £6.35 

ridiculous prices. 
    2 Wetherspoons within spitting distance at half the price.
  • Options

The Hoy has long been converted to a cafe.  However, the Duke, just along Creek Road, is still going.
  • Options

estrella £5.95 
    london pale £6.35 

ridiculous prices. 
    The Shakespeare feels like a spoons anyway. Hideous tourist pub.
  • Options
    Croydon said:

estrella £5.95 
    london pale £6.35 

ridiculous prices. 
    Probably why it cost best part of 7 quid a pint 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Went for a mooch round Bordeaux on NYE, great place if you ever want a weekend away, but that was €15 for a pint and a mulled wine -

• Options
    Croydon said:

estrella £5.95 
    london pale £6.35 

ridiculous prices. 
    Maybe they feel that tourism is their market - and price accordingly.

• Options
    Croydon said:

estrella £5.95 
    london pale £6.35 

ridiculous prices. 
    Talking of The Shakespeare is the one in Woolwich still going? 

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Croydon said:

estrella £5.95 
    london pale £6.35 

ridiculous prices. 
    Talking of The Shakespeare is the one in Woolwich still going? 

Now a fruit machine arcade -