Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    MrLargo said:

Redskin said:

like a pub every business has staff to pay etc, the mark up on alcohol is small, unfortunately chains like wetherspoons seem to make everyone think that there prices should be the norm

Their prices should be the norm; the poor man's 'treats', beer; a fag; football are now beyond his pocket.
    Countries like France and Spain regard these things - along with a decent meal - as a right, not a privilege.
    wetherspoons make there money by buying up beer with v little shelf life left and threw the vast amount of pubs can network it out.

Worked for 'spoons for 5 years when I was younger. This myth about buying beer with a short shelf life is absolute nonsense and always has been. They are able to sell more cheaply than their competitors for the same reason that's Sainsburys and Tesco can sell more cheaply than the local off licence - you buy more, you pay less.

In the early 2000s, when I worked there, Guinness tried to increase the price that Wetherspoons were paying - 'spoons said "no" and started stocking Murphys instead. A few months later, Guinness came back and agreed to stick with the old price if they started stocking it again. Nothing to do with use by dates.

Their Irish pubs currently serve Beamish because they're in dispute with Diageo (Guinness) and Murphys. Again, that's over price, it's not because only Beamish has got loads of nearly out of date stout knocking around.

Not a massive fan of Wetherspoons, but used to get the right hump with ill-informed locals telling me why our beer was so cheap when I was working behind the bar.
    The customer is always right
  • Options

Reading this I was inspired to do some price comparison with one of my local bars. All prices converted to £ per imperial pint

Narragansett (cheap lager) - £3.78
    Founders Solid Gold (lager) - £6.61
    Fiddlehead IPA (decent) - £10.07
    Almanac Supernova Sour - £15.11

And this isn’t an expensive bar. It about average for craft beer.

Would help if you said where you are?

I’m no expert but I’d say he was in the pub
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Redskin said:

like a pub every business has staff to pay etc, the mark up on alcohol is small, unfortunately chains like wetherspoons seem to make everyone think that there prices should be the norm

Their prices should be the norm; the poor man's 'treats', beer; a fag; football are now beyond his pocket.
    Countries like France and Spain regard these things - along with a decent meal - as a right, not a privilege.
    wetherspoons make there money by buying up beer with v little shelf life left and threw the vast amount of pubs can network it out.

Worked for 'spoons for 5 years when I was younger. This myth about buying beer with a short shelf life is absolute nonsense and always has been. They are able to sell more cheaply than their competitors for the same reason that's Sainsburys and Tesco can sell more cheaply than the local off licence - you buy more, you pay less.

In the early 2000s, when I worked there, Guinness tried to increase the price that Wetherspoons were paying - 'spoons said "no" and started stocking Murphys instead. A few months later, Guinness came back and agreed to stick with the old price if they started stocking it again. Nothing to do with use by dates.

Their Irish pubs currently serve Beamish because they're in dispute with Diageo (Guinness) and Murphys. Again, that's over price, it's not because only Beamish has got loads of nearly out of date stout knocking around.

Not a massive fan of Wetherspoons, but used to get the right hump with ill-informed locals telling me why our beer was so cheap when I was working behind the bar.
    Spot on about the out of date myth, perhaps incorrect on the Beamish and Murphys issue as both are owned, brewed and distributed by Heineken...
  • Options
    And both are disgusting
  • Options

And both are disgusting

Quite like a Beamish myself - had the pleasure of spending a bit of time around the old Beamish and Crawford brewery in Cork and more widely around the wider County Cork - always went down quite nicely!

Murphy's, on the other hand....
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Reading this I was inspired to do some price comparison with one of my local bars. All prices converted to £ per imperial pint

Probably so that we don't stray in there. £10.07 for a pint, that's a piss take. Never paid more than £5 a pint for craft beer even at 6% ABV.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

MrLargo said:

Redskin said:

The customer is always right
    Unless it's you.
  • Options

Somerville,Massachusetts I think.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Starting to worry about The Star now @Curb_It. While I quite like Dirty Liquor's pub in Deptford, I didn't realise they had torn down all the original Truman wood panelling there to give it the bare brick look. Given the similar interior at The Star I'm concerned they are going to do the same thing.

Worry no more @vincenzo ! The panelling is still in place looking at these pictures.   Looks great I think, although I’m sure it won’t be everyone’s taste. 

https://m.facebook.com/thestarSE18/ 
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=abbey%20wood%20history%20project&epa=SEARCH_BOX

Abbey Arms in Abbey Wood closing.

"A company called Dirty Liquor are refurbishing the pub and re-opening it in May. It’s the same company that have recently refurbished The Star in Plumstead."
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Have been spending a bit of time in The Cockpit round the back streets of Blackfriars recently. 

If if anyone feels nostalgic for an old school boozer in the City then this ones for you. It doesn't look like it's had a lick of paint since the 80s - the 1880s!
  • Options
    Having moved 18 months ago I had not been to The George in Beckenham for a while.

I went there two weeks ago to find the refurb of a traditional English boozer is now virtually a restaurant!

It will be a LONG time before I go back.
  • Options
    Having moved 18 months ago I had not been to The George in Beckenham for a while.

I went there two weeks ago to find the refurb of a traditional English boozer is now virtually a restaurant!

Is that the big white pub on the high st near the posh butcher?
  • Options

I doubt your be missed
  • Options

Is that the big white pub on the high st near the posh butcher?
    Yes mate, 30 seconds away from the Coach and Horses.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I doubt your be missed

clb74 said:

I doubt your be missed
    Unlike The Greyhound in Bromley North.........
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    Have been spending a bit of time in The Cockpit round the back streets of Blackfriars recently. 

If if anyone feels nostalgic for an old school boozer in the City then this ones for you. It doesn't look like it's had a lick of paint since the 80s - the 1880s!
    I used to drink in there in the 80's when I was working in the Money Markets on Ludgate Hill.  Was a Courage pub then and run by an Irish family. Excellent Best and Directors and the Guinness was good too. A delightful food menu too, Ham or Cheese & Onion rolls, nothing else! 
  • Options
    Boozers are now restaurants.
  • Options

Needed it though mate, the place was dying. 

I was in there last Saturday for a couple before heading up to Patrick's and it was rammed.

It had been about a year since I'd last been there because it was a shithole! My mates suggested going as he'd heard it had been done up, so they've gained a few customers there.

Horses for courses I suppose.

• Options
    Off_it said:

Used to drink in there when worked at BNY Mellon. 

Proper dive. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Went to Dambusters Inn in Scampton yesterday......great pub full to the brim with Dambusters and Red Arrows memorabilia as well as a host of Lancaster Bomber parts......including a massive tyre and a propeller!
    There’s even a black Labrador in attendance.
    The landlord Greg Algar (a very genial chap), has something of a SE London accent and was originally from Canterbury. Used to drink in The Greyhound in Bromley back in the day.
    Rather strangely, he fervently supports Coventry City.....though I didn’t ask him why.
    He holds all sorts of events throughout the year which involve the ever diminishing WW2 bomber command veterans, with special reverence being paid to 617 Squadron (The Dambusters).
    Has won The Camara award for best pub in Lincolnshire and has a micro brewery on site.
    Well worth a visit if you’re ever in that neck of the woods.
  • Options
    Went to Dambusters Inn in Scampton yesterday......great pub full to the brim with Dambusters and Red Arrows memorabilia as well as a host of Lancaster Bomber parts......including a massive tyre and a propeller!
    The landlord Greg Algar (a very genial chap), has something of a SE London accent and was originally from Canterbury. Used to drink in The Greyhound in Bromley back in the day.
    Rather strangely, he fervently supports Coventry City.....though I didn’t ask him why.
    He holds all sorts of events throughout the year which involve the ever diminishing WW2 bomber command veterans, with special reverence being paid to 617 Squadron (The Dambusters).
    Has won The Camara award for best pub in Lincolnshire and has a micro brewery on site.
    Could you ask him if he knows the current landlord of The Greyhound.  If he does, could you get him to have a word about lifting my ban from there.
  • Options
    Does the labrador's name begin with 'n'?
  • Options
    Enjoyed a drop of the black stuff yesterday in the Shipwright Arms, very handy for London Bridge even though it really looks out of place now with all the building work that has gone on in that area over the last few years.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Could you ask him if he knows the current landlord of The Greyhound.  If he does, could you get him to have a word about lifting my ban from there.
    Why did you get banned?

The shame of being bounced out of a Wetherspoons
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    MrOneLung said:
    Off_it said:

Proper dive. 
    I wouldn’t call it a “dive”. It’s old school and has character. I like the fact you can’t see into it unless you commit to going through the door, just like how all pubs used to be (so the old man could hide from his old lady!).

And to be honest, the fact that the pricks from BNY Mellon next door seem to give it a wide berth is another tick in the box for me!
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Off_it said:

Proper dive. 
    I wouldn’t call it a “dive”. It’s old school and has character. I like the fact you can’t see into it unless you commit to going through the door, just like how all pubs used to be (so the old man could hide from his old lady!).

And to be honest, the fact that the pricks from BNY Mellon next door seem to give it a wide berth is another tick in the box for me!
     Indeed but thanks to middle class female dominated Focus Groups over the past 15 years the likes of Shepard Neame and Youngs have ruined many of their traditional pubs by installing huge unfrosted windows, and they (middle class women) still don't use them. 
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Does the labrador's name begin with 'n'?
    Yes, he's called Norman.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:
    Their prices should be the norm; the poor man's 'treats', beer; a fag; football are now beyond his pocket. Countries like France and Spain regard these things - along with a decent meal - as a right, not a privilege.
    Worked for 'spoons for 5 years when I was younger. This myth about buying beer with a short shelf life is absolute nonsense and always has been. They are able to sell more cheaply than their competitors for the same reason that's Sainsburys and Tesco can sell more cheaply than the local off licence - you buy more, you pay less. In the early 2000s, when I worked there, Guinness tried to increase the price that Wetherspoons were paying - 'spoons said "no" and started stocking Murphys instead. A few months later, Guinness came back and agreed to stick with the old price if they started stocking it again. Nothing to do with use by dates. Their Irish pubs currently serve Beamish because they're in dispute with Diageo (Guinness) and Murphys. Again, that's over price, it's not because only Beamish has got loads of nearly out of date stout knocking around. Not a massive fan of Wetherspoons, but used to get the right hump with ill-informed locals telling me why our beer was so cheap when I was working behind the bar.
    Wetherspoons draught/pump beer consistently tastes worse than any other pub (and I'm far from the only person who has noticed this fact), which is probably why the 'out of date' myth gained traction. Also the only place I've had a beer that's given me gut rot. So is it out of date, are the lines filthy, or are the suppliers purposefully flogging a lesser, cheaper product to Spoons to make up for the low prices?
  • Options
    Is this all Spoons or a particular one?

Never had any issues with them myself.