Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    Sitting on the top deck of the 161 yesterday, it was depressing seeing closed pub after closed pub on the lower road. Million Hare, Thames Barrier Tavern, White Horse, Horse & Groom, Anti Gallican all closed up
  • Options

If I guess that the pint was a fiver and the bottle £2, then the soda water was over £2 for a half.

I take it you do not go into a pub too often.
    Happy to be corrected, but one poster has priced the pint at 4.10, so it’s a fiver for a Becks and a soda water.
    It’s too much, but I reckon the blame lies with high business rates.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

holyjo said:

MrLargo said:

If I guess that the pint was a fiver and the bottle £2, then the soda water was over £2 for a half.

Bottled beers cost roughly the same as draft. So £4, £4 and £1 would be my guess.

Normal pub prices, which the landlord has to charge in order to make a profit (and a living). But it is far, far too expensive, if you compare it to what you pay in other countries, and if you compare it to the amount of beer you could buy for £9 in the supermarket. Blame high taxes on booze and freeholders charging pubs prohibitively high rents.
    I'm pretty sure that drinking in the UK certainly outside of London is cheaper than comparable countries around the world. I paid £30 for 2 pints of Stella in Shang Hai albeit in a smart hotel but even in city bars beer was about £8 a pint.
    Is Shanghai comparable to any UK city outside of London? I'd say Newcastle/Leeds/Sheffield/wherever have a has a lot more in common with, for example, Hamburg, Porto, Valencia, Lille, Gdansk, Rotterdam or Naples than they do with Shanghai (which is the commercial and financial centre of the most populous country in the world. And I'm pretty sure a beer in a local bar in any of those cities would be cheaper or at least as cheap as UK cities outside of London.

Think the Scandinavian countries are the only ones in Europe with higher alcohol prices than us.
    Don't they ha e funny off licence type shops, run by the government?
    Paid 9.50 for 500ml in hotel bar in Saariselka just before Christmas. 8.50 in the ‘Irish’ bar there. Don’t get many alcoholics there.
  • Options

Stevelamb said:

Lord Northbrook Burnt Ash Road Lee.
    Pint of soda water and wedge of lime ..............free. Pint of Cider £5.30.

Liked the old Northbrook (lived very close by), havn't been in there since it became the Lord Northbrook.
    You liked the old Northbrook!!!!!
    It was an utter shit hole......you haven’t been in the new one so how can you compare it, why haven’t you been in there as it’s very very popular?
    The new one is far far better and has done very well giving the local community somewhere to enjoy and they do a good trade, whereas the old Northbrook was a disgusting empty depressing tip.
    Yes it’s a bit pricey but hey, so are most pubs in London nowadays.
    Give it a try......foods pretty good too.

Didn't compare them, agree the old one was a 'tad' tatty, but it was handy and to be honest there wasn't much else in Lee or at least the part we lived in....haven't been back since we moved out of the area in 2010, don't really have any reason to go there nowdays but if I do I'll pop in to the Lord Northbrook.
  • Options

Stevelamb said:

Liked the old Northbrook (lived very close by), havn't been in there since it became the Lord Northbrook.
    It was an utter shit hole......you haven’t been in the new one so how can you compare it, why haven’t you been in there as it’s very very popular?
    The new one is far far better and has done very well giving the local community somewhere to enjoy and they do a good trade, whereas the old Northbrook was a disgusting empty depressing tip.

Didn't compare them, agree the old one was a 'tad' tatty, but it was handy and to be honest there wasn't much else in Lee or at least the part we lived in....haven't been back since we moved out of the area in 2010, don't really have any reason to go there nowdays but if I do I'll pop in to the Lord Northbrook.
    Ah right mate....that explains it.
    Take my word for it, it’s worth a visit if you’re ever in that neck of the woods.....you won’t believe it’s the same place you once knew.

• Options

Stevelamb said:

Take my word for it, it’s worth a visit if you’re ever in that neck of the woods.....you won’t believe it’s the same place you once knew.

About two years ago the Lord Northbrook pub was taken over by Fullers. Prices went through the roof and staff left.
    Two years ago it was a really really good pub but now it is a Fullers house and staff turnover seems high as well as prices and footfall has gone down with me included.
  • Options

I take it you do not go into a pub too often.
    Happy to be corrected, but one poster has priced the pint at 4.10, so it’s a fiver for a Becks and a soda water.
    It’s too much, but I reckon the blame lies with high business rates.
    Pretty sure that you would have paid more because it’s a football day.
  • Options

My Mrs and I have decided it's time we return to UK and guess what, we're look at buying a pub.

lord Kitchener in welling has shut down.

do you know if it's gone for good, or having a spruce up?, live about 10 mins walk from it and whilst I wasn't a 'frequent' user, I did used to pop in now and again + was always handy for a cheap sunday carvary with the family. Be a shame if it was gone permanently as always seemed pretty busy whenever I used it.
  • Options

My Mrs and I have decided it's time we return to UK and guess what, we're look at buying a pub.

do you know if it's gone for good, or having a spruce up?, live about 10 mins walk from it and whilst I wasn't a 'frequent' user, I did used to pop in now and again + was always handy for a cheap sunday carvary with the family. Be a shame if it was gone permanently as always seemed pretty busy whenever I used it.
    its not shut for a refurbishment, as it stands its closed down.

unless they've sold the sight to developers id imagine the lease is available.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    like a pub every business has staff to pay etc, the mark up on alcohol is small, unfortunately chains like wetherspoons seem to make everyone think that there prices should be the norm
  • Options

The word is, that it will be a Tesco local with flats above.

Apart from pub prices going up year on year, I have also found that the old fashioned welcoming landlord (and staff), is becoming a thing of the past. Visited a couple of pubs recently where I have felt more of an inconvenience.......
  • Options
    1905 said:

Apart from pub prices going up year on year, I have also found that the old fashioned welcoming landlord (and staff), is becoming a thing of the past. Visited a couple of pubs recently where I have felt more of an inconvenience.......
    Hate to tell you this mate but we've all been thinking the same thing for years.
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

Stevelamb said:

About two years ago the Lord Northbrook pub was taken over by Fullers. Prices went through the roof and staff left.
    Two years ago it was a really really good pub but now it is a Fullers house and staff turnover seems high as well as prices and footfall has gone down with me included.
    Oh really.....sorry to hear that!

• Options

1905 said:

Hate to tell you this mate but we've all been thinking the same thing for years.
    I knew you would respond!!

• Options

like a pub every business has staff to pay etc, the mark up on alcohol is small, unfortunately chains like wetherspoons seem to make everyone think that there prices should be the norm

Their prices should be the norm; the poor man's 'treats', beer; a fag; football are now beyond his pocket.
    Countries like France and Spain regard these things - along with a decent meal - as a right, not a privilege.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    1905 said:

there's already a Tesco local about 250 yards away in what was the Duke of Edinburgh

hope someone takes it on and tries to make a go of it (as a pub)
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Their prices should be the norm; the poor man's 'treats', beer; a fag; football are now beyond his pocket.
    Countries like France and Spain regard these things - along with a decent meal - as a right, not a privilege.
    Yeah, I do agree with that, but France is now 5-6 Euros for 50cl / pint
  • Options

Redskin said:

Blimey, but I can't imagine they're charging £8 for a large glass of plonk.
  • Options
    It isn't just that a pint is expensive, it is the price you can get it for from the Supermarket.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It isn't just that a pint is expensive, it is the price you can get it for from the Supermarket.

Riviera said:

The round would have cost about £12 in central London. Buy your drinks cheaper in a supermarket of course but there’s nowhere to sit and the atmosphere is crap.

• Options
    Our half dozen micro's charge 3 quid a pint or 3.50 for the really strong stuff (6 %+) the cheese boards are usually 3 quid as well.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

wetherspoons make there money by buying up beer with v little shelf life left and threw the vast amount of pubs can network it out.

if an independant pub had 3 lagers/beers on tap it is labelled a shit tip with no choice.

if they have 10+ taps and cost a little more - then its a rip off.

pubs have overheads like everyone else, the volunteer in bexleyheath the owner wanted to get peroni in on draft and worked out he could only make 97p a pint.
  • Options

Redskin said:

wetherspoons make there money by buying up beer with v little shelf life left and threw the vast amount of pubs can network it out.

if an independant pub had 3 lagers/beers on tap it is labelled a shit tip with no choice.

if they have 10+ taps and cost a little more - then its a rip off.

pubs have overheads like everyone else, the volunteer in bexleyheath the owner wanted to get peroni in on draft and worked out he could only make 97p a pint.
    isn't that owned by the locals now?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
  • Options

good point well made
  • Options

Redskin said:

Agreed.

I'm in Marseille at the moment and 5 euro for a pint is Happy Hour prices.
    You can easily pay 6 or 7 euro for a pint ...... although a bit cheaper for fizzy pression lager in little back street cafe bars, but not by much.

I was staying with a friend in County Galway last October; prices in Ireland are much the same.
    And Dublin, like in most capital cities, was even more expensive.

Don't forget folks, much of the price of a pint goes direct to the government in taxation, wherever you are.

• Options
    Reading this I was inspired to do some price comparison with one of my local bars. All prices converted to £ per imperial pint

Narragansett (cheap lager) - £3.78
    Founders Solid Gold (lager) - £6.61
    Fiddlehead IPA (decent) - £10.07
    Almanac Supernova Sour - £15.11

And this isn’t an expensive bar. It about average for craft beer.
  • Options

Reading this I was inspired to do some price comparison with one of my local bars. All prices converted to £ per imperial pint

Narragansett (cheap lager) - £3.78
    Founders Solid Gold (lager) - £6.61
    Fiddlehead IPA (decent) - £10.07
    Almanac Supernova Sour - £15.11

And this isn’t an expensive bar. It about average for craft beer.

Would help if you said where you are?