Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2017
    This is worth putting out there. The is an application in with Royal Greenwich to develop The Vanbrugh Tavern's garden into a residential property. Locals are obviously up in arms. You can object or support the application if you're a Royal Greenwich resident on this link https://planning.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_GRNW_DCAPR_90550
    There are well over 200 objections on here and the three listed as supporting comments are in fact objections too! The public consultation period finishes tomorrow so it's important to act now.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

I went for a nose at the Red Lion and I really liked it. I know the regulars will probably miss their longstanding local and most likely dislike all the new punters floating in but I find my area sorely lacks a pub where you can get a decent glass of wine. This has it.

They have kept the original features and jazzed everything up. Even the loo's are posh. I loved it and look forward to walking up the hill on many more occasions.

Do you still use it Curb_It?
    I must say I do not get many good reports about it, beer quality poor, empty but food good albeit expensive. The Bull has indeed inherited their drinking crowd and one of the Lions longstanding barmaids.
  • Options
    Used to go in the Vanbrough to try and pull the nurses
  • Options
    My brother-in-law has been struggling to find a property to open his niche pub. He's been looking for almost all of this year with no joy.
    He thought he'd found the ideal spot in Petts Wood and even after agreeing terms with the agent, the landlord opted to go with someone else's offer last week. So bloody annoying as that would have been perfect being just 10 minutes down the road.
  • Options
    I just had the email from the Van @Riviera I had no idea...who owns the garden then and wants to build a house there?? I presumed the pub wanted to do it, but then saw that they are encouraging objections....am confused...
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

My brother-in-law has been struggling to find a property to open his niche pub. He's been looking for almost all of this year with no joy.
    He thought he'd found the ideal spot in Petts Wood and even after agreeing terms with the agent, the landlord opted to go with someone else's offer last week. So bloody annoying as that would have been perfect being just 10 minutes down the road.

What's the niche gonna be @JohnBoyUK mate?
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Already a very successful niche micropub in Petts Wood, One Inn The Wood. Bromley lacks such a place so does Orpington and New Eltham.
  • Options

I just had the email from the Van @Riviera I had no idea...who owns the garden then and wants to build a house there?? I presumed the pub wanted to do it, but then saw that they are encouraging objections....am confused...

No idea but you don't have to own land to put in a planning application. Just get you objection logged, it's easy to do.
  • Options
    The Coach n Horses Bexley shuts down in a few weeks . More flats
  • Options
    New micro pub open on Old Woolwich Road about 45 seconds from me..don't think it has a website and am ashamed to say I've not visited yet: https://www.whatpub.com/pubs/SEL/13610/river-ale-house-greenwich
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

New micro pub open on Old Woolwich Road about 45 seconds from me..don't think it has a website and am ashamed to say I've not visited yet: https://www.whatpub.com/pubs/SEL/13610/river-ale-house-greenwich

It has a Facebook page. Opened last Wednesday and is owned by Trevor Puddifoot who is an Old Roan and CAFC ST holder for decades. He's a top bloke and he has had a nightmare getting the pub open. But all that's behind him as he's up and running now. Haven't been myself yet as I've been in Turkey since it opened but will get down there when I'm back. He's offering modern craft beers as well as traditional cask plus wine and gin.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

It has a Facebook page. Opened last Wednesday and is owned by Trevor Puddifoot who is an Old Roan and CAFC ST holder for decades. He's a top bloke and he has had a nightmare getting the pub open. But all that's behind him as he's up and running now. Haven't been myself yet as I've been in Turkey since it opened but will get down there when I'm back. He's offering modern craft beers as well as traditional cask plus wine and gin.
    I was in there on the official opening night and it was good. Bit too far from me to be a regular haunt but I will definitely be going back
  • Options
    Riviera said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Already a very successful niche micropub in Petts Wood, One Inn The Wood. Bromley lacks such a place so does Orpington and New Eltham.
    Yes, we're aware of that. He's on the lookout for a property around Beckenham, Bromley, Bickley or Orpington but the type of property he is looking for, A? (not sure which one) is very thin on the ground or has ridiculous rental. The family looked at buying a commercial property for him to operate from but the commercial mortgages we needed required a huge deposit which put it way beyond our means, despite it having two very large flats above it, which were a huge attraction as we could have let them out. He's got the support of the relevant people at Bromley Council on his side but the private landlords seem to be a problem.

Can't give no more details at the moment as its not my place to say etc but will share details when hopefully he does find somewhere.
  • Options
    Opening of the Kentish Belle along Pickford Lane has been delayed due to legal issues.

Now cracking on with the building work but not sure of the intended opening date.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Riviera said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Yes, we're aware of that. He's on the lookout for a property around Beckenham, Bromley, Bickley or Orpington but the type of property he is looking for, A? (not sure which one) is very thin on the ground or has ridiculous rental. The family looked at buying a commercial property for him to operate from but the commercial mortgages we needed required a huge deposit which put it way beyond our means, despite it having two very large flats above it, which were a huge attraction as we could have let them out. He's got the support of the relevant people at Bromley Council on his side but the private landlords seem to be a problem.

Can't give no more details at the moment as its not my place to say etc but will share details when hopefully he does find somewhere.
    A4 is the classification of a Drinking Establishment, pub, wine bar etc. You won't find many of those but like I did rent an A1 (retail ) and apply for planning permission to convert to A4.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Riviera said:

JohnBoyUK said:

A4 is the classification of a Drinking Establishment, pub, wine bar etc. You won't find many of those but like I did rent an A1 (retail ) and apply for planning permission to convert to A4.
    and then I presume that you would need the permission of the free-holder prior applying for the change of usage?
  • Options
    Riviera said:

This is worth putting out there. The is an application in with Royal Greenwich to develop The Vanbrugh Tavern's garden into a residential property. Locals are obviously up in arms. You can object or support the application if you're a Royal Greenwich resident on this link https://planning.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_GRNW_DCAPR_90550
    There are well over 200 objections on here and the three listed as supporting comments are in fact objections too! The public consultation period finishes tomorrow so it's important to act now.

That's bad news - the Vanbrugh is actually the best place to drink pre-Charlton home games now IMO.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Riviera said:

JohnBoyUK said:

Riviera said:

JohnBoyUK said:

and then I presume that you would need the permission of the free-holder prior applying for the change of usage?
    Yes but that should not be an issue if the landlord is a businessman. Now over 400 Micropubs in the UK and the vast majority not in premises that were not originally A4. Butchers, hairdressers, bike shops and like mine a plumbers merchants.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    se9addick said:

Riviera said:

That's bad news - the Vanbrugh is actually the best place to drink pre-Charlton home games now IMO.
    The pub itself is not under threat but it's beer garden is.
  • Options
    Shag said:

Shouldn't be allowed - nearly two hundred and fifty years old I think that place is!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    no doubt the people moving into the pub garden flats will complain about the pub and have it closed down
  • Options
    Looking at the Vanbrugh application, interestingly I see they are using the same agent as the owners of the proposed 3 bed dwelling they want to set up in the White Swan Beer Garden. Milan Babic Architects.

https://planning.royalgreenwich.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=_GRNW_DCAPR_90428

• Options
    Riviera said:

Curb_It said:

I went for a nose at the Red Lion and I really liked it. I know the regulars will probably miss their longstanding local and most likely dislike all the new punters floating in but I find my area sorely lacks a pub where you can get a decent glass of wine. This has it.

They have kept the original features and jazzed everything up. Even the loo's are posh. I loved it and look forward to walking up the hill on many more occasions.

Do you still use it Curb_It?
    I must say I do not get many good reports about it, beer quality poor, empty but food good albeit expensive. The Bull has indeed inherited their drinking crowd and one of the Lions longstanding barmaids.
    Only occasionally. Don't eat in there but I do like their wine but Ian has moaned about the beer in there a couple of times.
  • Options

I know someone who's a nurse and used to drink in there, Jason is his name.
    Did you used to go on the pull in there an al then Guiny pal?
  • Options
    Shag said:

To be fair, the last time I went, there was nothing there that made me want to go back.
  • Options

JohnBoyUK said:

What's the niche gonna be @JohnBoyUK mate?
    Pound in the pot.
  • Options

Shag said:

To be fair, the last time I went, there was nothing there that made me want to go back.
    What about the fitties in Millers of Bexley?
  • Options
    *fatties
  • Options

I know someone who's a nurse and used to drink in there, Jason is his name.
    Did you used to go on the pull in there an al then Guiny pal?
    i did, and the Sailor and the Gloucester.