Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Options
    Riviera said:

Very pleased to be on the shortlist for SE London CAMRA Pub of The Year 2016.

Congratulations and good luck with that shame you wern't around when I lived around the corner.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

Anyone know what's going on with The Cranbrook near St John's Station? Been boarded up for a few weeks now. Bit of a dump before it closed, lovely building though. Too much to hope that it reopens as a good pub, rather than some flats or a sterile, pretentious organic paté bar?

It's been boarded up for months now. Was very strange inside.
    That long? Think I only went in once. Always thought it looked quite appealling from the outside, but it had one of those horrible blue lions up on the wall that used to be popular in pubs round there, clientele matched the decor as well.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Anyone know what's going on with The Cranbrook near St John's Station? Been boarded up for a few weeks now. Bit of a dump before it closed, lovely building though. Too much to hope that it reopens as a good pub, rather than some flats or a sterile, pretentious organic paté bar?

Reopening as The Brookmill: http://brockleycentral.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/coming-soon-brookmill.html
  • Options

MrLargo said:

Reopening as The Brookmill: http://brockleycentral.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/coming-soon-brookmill.html
    Thanks for posting that, very interesting. Glad to hear it's reopening, although sounds a bit like yet another restaurant that also happens to serve drink. Better than flats nonetheless.
  • Options
    Take tennis and BBQ, nice! That is my local, I'm the other St. John's user.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Best of luck, it would be a real testament if you could break the "monopoly" of resent years.
    Good beer guide listings really helped us at the OLB
  • Options
    Well done Chirps.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Only been there once, en route to the richard 1st pre match to meet off it et al. Remember being seriously hungover and popped in for a quick Guinness at opening time. Unsurprisingly, I was the only one in there and got the impression that there may not be many in after me. Thought at the time that it was only a matter of time before it closed so glad to hear it's survived the developers. Will pop in there again when it reopens.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Best of luck, it would be a real testament if you could break the "monopoly" of resent years.
    Are you still open at OLB?
  • Options

Riviera said:

Are you still open at OLB?
    No. It closed at least a year ago. Property development, replacing it I believe.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mates mum and dad used to run the globe in deptford
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Extremely proud to have come 2nd in this. There are hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of pubs within the SELCAMRA area which includes the boroughs of Greenwich, Lewisham and large parts of Southwark and Croydon.
    The Pelton Arms won and deservedly so, there is no shame coming second to them.
    We've only been open just over a year and the recognition is wonderful. At the end of the day we are an Alehouse and not everyone's cup of tea. Our beer, and the good keeping and serving of it is the most important thing to us.
    Will become a tougher competition next year with the resurgence of The White Swan.
    Well deserved.

I've pointed a number of friends and colleagues in the direction of your hostelry and without exception they speak highly of it.

(The odd reservation about the guvnor though :-) )
  • Options
    Very well done Riv. Congrats.
  • Options
    The Victoria in Charlton which has been derelict for years is finally going to be demolished I hear. Always hoped that it could be restored because of that lovely green pub tiled exterior but seems not.
  • Options
    I was in Otford on Sunday morning and noticed that The George is now closed. Pity, it was a nice pub which did decent food.
  • Options

The Victoria in Charlton which has been derelict for years is finally going to be demolished I hear. Always hoped that it could be restored because of that lovely green pub tiled exterior but seems not.

Always felt like you had 10 pints as you walked in, with the sloping floor.
  • Options

Yeah that's a shame the building isn't being kept. Mind you I don't think it will take much to demolish it, I think if you leant on it, it would fall over.
  • Options

I was in Otford on Sunday morning and noticed that The George is now closed. Pity, it was a nice pub which did decent food.

Is that the one on the high street and opposite the entrance to the park?
  • Options

No mate, that's The Bull. The George was a bit further up on the other side near the pond.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

No mate, that's The Bull. The George was a bit further up on the other side near the pond.
    Oh yes, The Bull; I can't imagine that would be closing. I have been in The George a long time back and it seemed alright. Any other time I've passed it I got the impression it was more of a local geezer's pub.
  • Options
    Well done, Riviera ..... coming 2nd in your first year of business is some achievement.

Just shows you are giving your customers exactly what they like.

• Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Extremely proud to have come 2nd in this. There are hundreds and hundreds if not thousands of pubs within the SELCAMRA area which includes the boroughs of Greenwich, Lewisham and large parts of Southwark and Croydon.
    We've only been open just over a year and the recognition is wonderful. At the end of the day we are an Alehouse and not everyone's cup of tea. Our beer, and the good keeping and serving of it is the most important thing to us.
    Will become a tougher competition next year with the resurgence of The White Swan.
    Wow, congratulations! Yours is a great place to have a beer (or two...).
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Well done Riv, what a great achievement. I've yet to visit but definitely will.

No shame at all in coming second to The Pelts. My favourite boozer in London.
  • Options
    Congrats to Riviera. Only been in there a couple of times but voted for it this year.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Well done, haven't had the pleasure of visiting. However was out on Sunday with my mate from Lewisham who only had good words to say about your establishment.
  • Options

Surely you mean the pnb.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Riviera said:

Congratulations, Mike. It's quite an achievement in such a short time and well earned.

• Options
    Apparently the Pickwick closes on the 1st August, with no confirmation on what the owners intend to do with it.

Winner of the Charlton disproportionately large beer garden award and one time home to topless barmaids in the 70s (so I'm told). Leaves just four pubs left in SE7 by my reckoning.

RIP
  • Options
    Don't remember the topless barmaids.
    lt was my haunt in the 70's when it was the Broom.