Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Pubs, and the demise of.

Comments

• Don't remember the topless barmaids.
    lt was my haunt in the 70's when it was the Broom.

It was before my time. The nearest I got to a topless barmaid were those wall mounted pub packs of KP peanuts that revealed more of the woman underneath with each pack of peanuts that were sold.

• milo said:

Don't remember the topless barmaids.

It was before my time. The nearest I got to a topless barmaid were those wall mounted pub packs of KP peanuts that revealed more of the woman underneath with each pack of peanuts that were sold.

BigD peanuts not KP
  • milo said:

at the time a packet of nuts and a cheese roll were considered fine dining.
  • Riviera said:

milo said:

BigD peanuts not KP
    BigD? - that sounds right, thinking back I can't imagine KP advertising with glamour girls.

To be fair as a teenager I probbaly wasn't looking at the company logo. I remember there used to be one of these hanging up in the tea shop at Charlton Lido. No matter when I went there the peanuts were never lower than the women's cleavage, it didn't matter how many bags of nuts were sold - it dawned on me that they were probably just refilling it at the end of every day. Probably contributed to childhood obesity in the local area.

• The Red Lion on Shooters Hill is closed for a refurb. Anyone go in there much/know what's going on?
  • Curb_It said:

The Red Lion on Shooters Hill is closed for a refurb. Anyone go in there much/know what's going on?

A few of my regulars use it. Terry the landlord has retired down to Kent. Enterprise, the owners, couldn't sell the tenancy and so decided to convert it into more of a restaurant pub with one of their managers running it. They are very keen on food.
    From what I have been told 2/3 - 3/4 of the bar area will now be a restaurant area leaving the rest for drinkers. The pub had a very solid mid-afternoon/early evening crowd of retired punters plus loads of after work drinkers, builders and office staff. Apart from weekends it would often close at 9pm as it would be very quiet and the turnover earlier was sufficient enough to allow this.
    A nice feature of this lovely Victorian pub was the real fires but I hear they will no longer be in use. It also was a popular spot for football on TV on Saturday evenings and Sunday afternoons, and although the management have said the TV will stay, I would not be surprised if this was not the case.
    In my opinion it is very sad to lose what to me was another proper pub and I would think The Bull may well benefit from this.
  • Thanks, I thought you might know.

Someone on twitter said it had been bought by Bermondsey PubCo but I guess that's not true.

• Not spoken to him in a while, but I imagine my Uncle is gutted. He was/is good mates with Terry and one of the regulars in the Red Lion.
  • Red Lion reopens on the Whitsun Bank Holiday. Apparently a very tasteful refurb.
  • The Victoria in Charlton which has been derelict for years is finally going to be demolished I hear. Always hoped that it could be restored because of that lovely green pub tiled exterior but seems not.

Always felt like you had 10 pints as you walked in, with the sloping floor.
    I used to like that. Reminded me of being a kid and visiting the crooked house in Southend.

The other great thing about The Victoria was the little tray of cling-film wrapped rolls behind the bar. Always palatable and no faster pub grub anywhere. One of the things that annoys me about modern pubs is that even the most downmarket ones have menus with too many choices and too much waiting around. In there it was cheese or ham and provided in an instant. Marvellous.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2016
    walked into Hythe last week , always finish a walk with an ale or two. Had a couple of gold beers (Zinger) in a micro pub called The Potting Shed on the High Street.
    Another to try if your in the harbour area of Folkestone---walk up the hill via the "creative quater" to Kipps Ale house a larger micro pub--- Graftons Golden Egg num num
  • Stig said:

The Victoria in Charlton which has been derelict for years is finally going to be demolished I hear. Always hoped that it could be restored because of that lovely green pub tiled exterior but seems not.

Always felt like you had 10 pints as you walked in, with the sloping floor.
    I used to like that. Reminded me of being a kid and visiting the crooked house in Southend.

The other great thing about The Victoria was the little tray of cling-film wrapped rolls behind the bar. Always palatable and no faster pub grub anywhere. One of the things that annoys me about modern pubs is that even the most downmarket ones have menus with too many choices and too much waiting around. In there it was cheese or ham and provided in an instant. Marvellous.
    The Roupell/Broom/ Pickwick had the same pre-match lunch of a cling film wrapped cheese roll. The hot pies were nice to.
  • Not sure why anyone would want a sweaty cheese roll wrapped in cling film.
  • Not sure why anyone would want a sweaty cheese roll wrapped in cling film.

Angry vegetarians complaining about the lack of choice at The Valley.
  • I went to the Pelton Arms last night, they had a really good ska band on, everyone in the pub was friendly. Had a good time.

Badly hungover over today after a late one, went there for lunch today around 3pm. Spoke to the cook, very good guy and his son the manager, also very good.

They've done really well there, a proper pub with proper people in it.
  • Red Lion update - Re-opened ahead of schedule on Saturday. Very nice refurb I'm told, drinking area reduced but TV's still there. Bit pricey I understand; £4.20 for a pint of bitter and £4.60 for Amstel. Ham, egg and chips a tenner.
  • I went for a nose at the Red Lion and I really liked it. I know the regulars will probably miss their longstanding local and most likely dislike all the new punters floating in but I find my area sorely lacks a pub where you can get a decent glass of wine. This has it.

They have kept the original features and jazzed everything up. Even the loo's are posh. I loved it and look forward to walking up the hill on many more occasions.

• Riviera said:

Red Lion update - Re-opened ahead of schedule on Saturday. Very nice refurb I'm told, drinking area reduced but TV's still there. Bit pricey I understand; £4.20 for a pint of bitter and £4.60 for Amstel. Ham, egg and chips a tenner.

Ham, Egg and Chips a tenner? That's twice the price in Sainsbury's!
  • Sponsored links:

• The star and Garter in Bromley high street is currently undergoing a refit, Opening soon
  • edited July 2016
    Badger said:

The star and Garter in Bromley high street is currently undergoing a refit, Opening soon

Will it still be a gay bar gay bar ?
  • Badger said:

The star and Garter in Bromley high street is currently undergoing a refit, Opening soon

Will it still be a gay bar gay bar ?
    How do you know, you know
  • Is The Crown still open on the road to Grove Park? Not sure if it came under Lee or Grove Park, but I used to love that pub as a youngster, it seemed so grown up and traditional.
  • Is The Crown still open on the road to Grove Park? Not sure if it came under Lee or Grove Park, but I used to love that pub as a youngster, it seemed so grown up and traditional.

Yep still there, lovely pub for sitting outside on a sunny day, food isn't bad either.
  • Pickwick has apparently been sold and new owner is intending to keep it as a pub. The closing party was on 30th July and I guess that the new owner is settling in - I've tried ringing to find out if they are opening on Saturday for the match and am just getting 'this number isn't taking calls at the moment'.

Could anyone who drives past/lives nearby advise whether there's life in the old girl, or if it's looking firmly shuttered?
  • The Roebuck at The Oval (Kennington) closed. Disaster averted as we went to The Fentiman Arms instead.
  • The Roebuck at The Oval (Kennington) closed. Disaster averted as we went to The Fentiman Arms instead.

Fentiman: really good pub. Haven't been for a while, but always have an enjoyable sesh in there.
  • I know it's been closed for a while but just been down wickham street and the Fanny on the hill has been bulldozed.
  • The Roebuck was always our choice of pub when going to the Oval - shame