Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Peter Varney heading takeover??

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2013
    I suspect that any potential takeover by a PV consortium/ investors is a very long way off.

• Options
    From Kent Online - Cut and pasted from the Rumours, Rumours Thread as more relevant here.

Lots of ifs and maybes still

Is Tony Hudd, a close friend of PDV still at the Kent Messenger? And didn't Alex Varney, Peter's son, play for Ebbsfleet?

------------------------------------

Former Charlton Athletic chief executive Peter Varney could yet be the man to help rescue crisis club Ebbsfleet United.

Varney is representing a Kuwaiti company looking to invest in a football club and the Messenger understands Ebbsfleet is one of the clubs the group is looking at.

Having brought financial stability back to The Valley, Mr Varney is now chief executive of KEH Sports Ltd, the newly-formed sports subsidiary of the Kuwaiti European Holding Company.

His job is to oversee the group’s planned and future investment in football in the UK – and those plans may centre around Stonebridge Road.

Mr Varney said: “Whether they (KEH) invest with somebody who already owns a club or they go alone, they want to build a club.

“I gave a presentation on football finances and I didn’t think anything more of it until I was approached by people who are looking to get involved in football. They asked if I would represent them and we had discussions. They went on to set up a sports subsidiary.

“It’s flattering to be approached to do something like this because a lot of people could do this sort of role.”
  • Options
    Could be true ... however would be disappointing as PV knows full well that if it is a success it could have an adverse impact on Charlton, albeit only with regard to future fanbase rather than existing and wavering fans
  • Options
    From an investment point of view, I can see the logic in acquiring Ebbsfleet. There's the proposed Paramount Park on the Swanscombe Peninsula and the Ebbsfleet International Station, both in close proximity and the "attractions" could easily be combined.
    So, why not pick up a non-league football team on the (very) cheap and turn them into the next Manchester City?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

From an investment point of view, I can see the logic in acquiring Ebbsfleet. There's the proposed Paramount Park on the Swanscombe Peninsula and the Ebbsfleet International Station, both in close proximity and the "attractions" could easily be combined.
    So, why not pick up a non-league football team on the (very) cheap and turn them into the next Manchester City?

Or pick up land and move a established club?
  • Options
    Interest in Eastbourne and now this suggests that they may not be into buying an already established league club, but want to build one up from non-league status.

Well, if they choose a club to turn into the next Citeh, I hope that it's nowhere near us - if they did buy Ebbsfleet and do that, it would have potentially devastating effect on our support. Combine that with the spammers development and it wouldn't leave us in a very good place....we'd be the meat in a megaclub sandwich - and who wants to be that?

I do hope that this is all bollox.
  • Options
    building up a non league team over many years could be a very cheap way of doing it in the right location. All you'd have to do is try and build up the club's finances in an organic way, making sure the club lives within its means and get the correct appointment managerially and you could be making a money at premier league level without having put much money in at all.

I always wondered why more people weren't doing that.
  • Options
    anyone else know if any non league clubs could theoretically have a tier 1 academy? Would be a cheap option, spending £5million a year instead of spending lots on transfers and inflated wages and playing all the players that come through your academy. Would create a lot of support in the local community as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

building up a non league team over many years could be a very cheap way of doing it in the right location. All you'd have to do is try and build up the club's finances in an organic way, making sure the club lives within its means and get the correct appointment managerially and you could be making a money at premier league level without having put much money in at all.

Because its easier said than done.
  • Options

Because its easier said than done.
    i guess that's what every non league team is trying to achieve, live within their means etc. I'm just having a good day dream
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    So no new news then?
  • Options

Run a non league club within its means, and in a few years you'll have a...non league club
    Or if you're lucky a L1 club (at most).

The clubs that have climbed the divisions in recent years are those that have spent money, like Crawley and Fleetwood, and even then they have a natural level as there's little support for them. The old Wimbledon grossly achieved, and only filled Selhurst by giving the away team nearly half the ground, as their fan base plateaued, even after several years in the PL. If Wigan go down, their gates will quickly fall away.
  • Options
    How many non league owners have had dreams about spending a few quid and going all the way, and how many tines has it happened?
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Run a non league club within its means, and in a few years you'll have a...non league club
    Or if you're lucky a L1 club (at most).

The clubs that have climbed the divisions in recent years are those that have spent money, like Crawley and Fleetwood, and even then they have a natural level as there's little support for them. The old Wimbledon grossly achieved, and only filled Selhurst by giving the away team nearly half the ground, as their fan base plateaued, even after several years in the PL. If Wigan go down, their gates will quickly fall away.
    this, Charlton succeeded because we presumably have quite a large pool of natural support, having said that we lost a good few from dropping down a level, were they any kind of fan or just wanted premiership footy? We could well find out in coming months.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Even if they were successful and achieved L1 or Championship status within the next 10 years, how many would turn up to watch them 5, 6 or maybe 7,000 at most? They have no history and they certainly won't be nicking support off Charlton, Millwall or the Gills. Can't see this getting off the ground myself.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
  • Options

Wasn't this the plan with Rushden & Diamonds? Hasn't really worked out too well that plan.
  • Options
    SE10 said:

How many non league owners have had dreams about spending a few quid and going all the way, and how many tines has it happened?

Are they really serious this crowd.whats with all this non leauge stuff.dont see them as serious players in the football world.eastbourne or ebbsfleet .no disrespect but must be looking for something for a hobby.
  • Options

cafcfan said:

Even if they were successful and achieved L1 or Championship status within the next 10 years, how many would turn up to watch them 5, 6 or maybe 7,000 at most? They have no history and they certainly won't be nicking support off Charlton, Millwall or the Gills. Can't see this getting off the ground myself.
    I take your point. But don't KEH have a business based upon hotel & leisure? I could see them linking up and partly paying for the Paramount Park. On match days, the ticket to watch a game could just be packaged in with a three-day pass to the theme park finishing off with a Disney-style firework display and other entertainment. Football generally hasn't thought outside the "be all and end all of 90 mins on the pitch, except for junk like comedy cheerleaders, fake fur mascots and other low rent entertainment. Paramount have the Transformers franchise don't they - now something like that would make a hell of a mascot!

Perhaps an opportunity to try something different. If 30,000+ people were going to the theme park anyway, why not hang around, watch a game, see some quality fireworks, then return (stay?) to the Park and catch a decent live band or go to a night club. Then there's all the cross-selling of merchandise at the various outlets.
    Who'd even need season ticket holders?
  • Options

SE10 said:

Are they really serious this crowd.whats with all this non leauge stuff.dont see them as serious players in the football world.eastbourne or ebbsfleet .no disrespect but must be looking for something for a hobby.

No, there looking to make some money in which case the development and tourism around a ground are as important to them as the football club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    From MyFC:
    __________________________________________________________________________________________
    UPDATE ON POTENTIAL NEW INVESTMENT IN EUFC

Shareholder representatives Brian Kilcullen representing the minority shareholders and Mark Curtis representing myfootballclub majority shareholders together with club Directors, today entered into detailed negotiations with KEH Sports Limited ( a subsidiary of Kuwaiti European Holdings Company) for the sale of the Football Club.

These negotiations are subject to due diligence and will also need the approval of Myfootballclub members.

Full details of the offer will be published tomorrow morning and will be put to a vote of all current members of Myfootballclub. Approval will require a 75% vote in favour by all those voting.

Please be ready to consider and vote on this matter. The vote will close on Monday 13 May at 11am.

Further notice will be sent to members as soon as full details are published and the vote is live.

I'd like to thank our negotiators for their work on this.

Paul Charnock (Arithon)
    EUFC rep.
  • Options
    so, what will now become of "MyFC"?
  • Options

so, what will now become of "MyFC"?

MyKFC now surely! ;-)
  • Options
    Madness.
  • Options
    all about the location and the land surely
  • Options
    Well the council own the lease on the ground and the club plays virtually rent free.

Follow this story with some interest now after seeing the terms of the offer.

MYFC could still scupper it by voting no - but it should easily be voted through.
  • Options
    We need somebody to take this back to the glory days
  • Options
    Paramount Park just ain't going to happen
  • Options
    http://www.kentonline.co.uk/gravesend_messenger/news/Ebsfleet-sale-agreed-650/

Seems like it wasn't Charlton as some assumed it had to be.
  • Options
    Have we missed out here? Have they really got that much cash if they're only buying Ebbsfleet?