Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Baker

Comments

• Options
    Riviera said:
    I’d rather be devoid of intellect than a sense of humour. Fortunately I have both amongst my many other attributes. 
    True. 
  • Options
    Good job Danny never said anything controversial...God knows how many pages this thread would be...Am I allowed to use God or am I offending Christians....
  • Options
    Good job Danny never said anything controversial...God knows how many pages this thread would be...Am I allowed to use God or am I offending Christians....
    You can use him, but not in the biblical sense ;-)
  • Options
    Ahem ..........;-)
  • Options
    Danny Baker made an awful mistake. He apologised for it profusely and has been punished. And he will, no doubt, be constantly reminded him of it.

I wish I could say that I had never ever spoken, sent a text, posted something on a forum etc etc which I later hadn't regretted. But I can't. And I don't suppose there are too many that can either.

Please,Please, please stop comparing yourself to the likes of Danny Baker.

You post something risque and nobody gives a shit. He's got over half a million followers.
    He's playing by the same rules as the likes of somebody like Kylie Jenner.
     She posts or tweets the latest eye shadow she's started using and it's a best seller within hours.
    Bruno Mars pops out his latest single on Twitter or Instagram and everyone's is singing it by the end of the day.
    The power of social media I'm afraid. And Baker is on it everyday without fail. He's profited from it in spades no doubt.

He clearly didn't understand or pay heed to power of the negative side should one of his rogue outbursts fall foul.

Social media.
    When it's good it's very good.
    When it's bad it will churn you up and spit you out.
    How do you know I don't have that many? There's my mum, my sister, my two sons and @Riviera - that's five for a start.

Sorry forgot the wife as well - she follows and tracks everything I do and don't do.
  • Options
    holyjo said:
    Ahem ..........;-)
    Amen?
  • Options
    a police investigation into 'is Baker guilty of publishing racist photos' is a step too far .. however he should be investigated for nicking a living from the BBC licence payer for decades
    Thats your opinion, I have always thought he was excellent broadcaster, especially on the old 5live breakfast show.
  • Options
    Halix said:
    a police investigation into 'is Baker guilty of publishing racist photos' is a step too far .. however he should be investigated for nicking a living from the BBC licence payer for decades
    Thats your opinion, I have always thought he was excellent broadcaster, especially on the old 5live breakfast show.
    Him and Danny Kelly were excellent on talksport together 
  • Options

I was at the Coppa Italia finale last night. This appeared on big screens at final whistle.
    It’s the No To Rascism campaign add. Basically monkeys with painted faces representing colours of the big teams out here. Not sure but isn’t this rascist?!?!

• Options
    Bizarre!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I was at the Coppa Italia finale last night. This appeared on big screens at final whistle.
    It’s the No To Rascism campaign add. Basically monkeys with painted faces representing colours of the big teams out here. Not sure but isn’t this rascist?!?!

• Options

Italy are so backward when it comes to racism. Monchi, who was the Roma director of football at one point, showed his support for when Kalidou Koulibaly walked off the pitch due to racism by blacking up.

It's proper weird out there. 

That said, Italy does not have blackface or similar in its history as racially abusive - it was never a trope there really, I don't think. But even so, what the fuck lol
  • Options

• Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Italy are so backward when it comes to racism. Monchi, who was the Roma director of football at one point, showed his support for when Kalidou Koulibaly walked off the pitch due to racism by blacking up.

That said, Italy does not have blackface or similar in its history as racially abusive - it was never a trope there really, I don't think. But even so, what the fuck lol
    Just like the P*** word was ‘never’ seen as derogatory when used in every day usage in The UK.
    Always wondered how all of a sudden it became unacceptable and deemed insulting. I have a good idea why and I think this is worth thinking about.
    We went through a long period of calling both Indian and Pakistanis....P****.
    Now, we know there is no love lost between the two nations, so Pakistanis were well pissed off that Indians were being called P**** and Indians were in turn well pissed off at being called P****.
    Both nationalities found this quite unacceptable....we can see why and I believe that more than any other reason it was why they both kicked up a huge stink about it and not because they actually saw the word as being in itself insulting.
    To this day....the Pakistani cricket team are still called The P**** by Australian cricket commentators and their media, no one (the Pakistanis themselves included), seem to give a toss about it.....strange indeed wouldn’t you say but quite logical too.
    This is in no way meant to be confrontational, just an observation by myself as to why the word became, and is now deemed, as unacceptable.
  • Options
    Love how we need to consult each other on whether we should be offended, or if something is racist. 

My philosophy in live that I follow is Kantian deontology. Effectively it's not the outcome of the action, it's the intention behind it that should be analysed. In this constant race to be offended culture we live in, I think Kant is more relevant than ever. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Love how we need to consult each other on whether we should be offended, or if something is racist. 

My philosophy in live that I follow is Kantian deontology. Effectively it's not the outcome of the action, it's the intention behind it that should be analysed. In this constant race to be offended culture we live in, I think Kant is more relevant than ever. 
    Whilst I agree to a certain extent, it is far far easier to judge results than intentions. Somebody comes out with a racial slur and claims they didn't mean it, we have no way of judging the veracity of their claim, all we can see is the action and the result, everything else is debatable.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Just like the P*** word was ‘never’ seen as derogatory when used in every day usage in The UK.
    Always wondered how all of a sudden it became unacceptable and deemed insulting. I have a good idea why and I think this is worth thinking about.
    We went through a long period of calling both Indian and Pakistanis....P****.
    Now, we know there is no love lost between the two nations, so Pakistanis were well pissed off that Indians were being called P**** and Indians were in turn well pissed off at being called P****.
    Both nationalities found this quite unacceptable....we can see why and I believe that more than any other reason it was why they both kicked up a huge stink about it and not because they actually saw the word as being in itself insulting.
    To this day....the Pakistani cricket team are still called The P**** by Australian cricket commentators and their media, no one (the Pakistanis themselves included), seem to give a toss about it.....strange indeed wouldn’t you say but quite logical too.
    This is in no way meant to be confrontational, just an observation by myself as to why the word became, and is now deemed, as unacceptable.
    Pretty much nail on the head.
    My Mrs has only been racially abused once since she's been here and was more upset at being called a p***  than the abuse  itself.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Whilst I agree to a certain extent, it is far far easier to judge results than intentions. Somebody comes out with a racial slur and claims they didn't mean it, we have no way of judging the veracity of their claim, all we can see is the action and the result, everything else is debatable.
    Absolutely agree, which is why my focus would be on the person and their intentions (a lot like what has happened in the Baker issue, because he works for the BBC and is relatively left wing he can't possibly be racist) rather than focusing on what they have actually ended up saying. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Roland is a bit of a Kant.
  • Options
    This thread has officially gone off topic. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:
    I’d rather be devoid of intellect than a sense of humour. Fortunately I have both amongst my many other attributes. 
    We love to discuss the trivial things in life, we love to spout our own opinions but what annoys me is when people get all worked up and say things like “How can you be bothered with blah blah when people are getting slaughtered in blah blah”

Come on Chirps - it's a much, much longer list than that, be honest...  
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Roland is a bit of a Kant.
    He Kant understand football 
  • Options
    This is good news 
  • Options
    Sometimes you have to make an honest judgement before getting too offended. If a known racist makes a statement it speaks for itself, but somebody you know does not hold that sort of views and claim it was an error/mistake/misunderstanding - well whether you like them or not, you ought to cut them some slack.
  • Options
    The new year!

It's June!