Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Baker

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Stuff and things. I don't want to argue anymore I'm pretty sure we all agree racism is wrong, Baker isn't racist, baker's post was received as offence.
    I think you should read this article. 

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/09/racism-like-danny-bakers-tweet-is-usually-explained-away-im-glad-the-bbc-fired-him-9465905/
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think people are wrapped up in their dislike of Baker here. 

You're assuming racism because you don't like him. He isn't racist. It wasn't racism. It wasn't intended to cause offence. 
    And others are wrapped up in their love for him! 
    I don't like him but I have spoken up for him for NOT being a racist. 
  • Options
    I didn't even know that we had a mixed race royal! Don't really care about royals or what race anybody is. 

I quite like Danny Baker. The bits in his book about cancel struck a chord with some of my own experiences.

I guess all that makes me a racist?
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Dazzler21 said:

You're assuming racism because you don't like him. He isn't racist. It wasn't racism. It wasn't intended to cause offence. 
    And others are wrapped up in their love for him! 
    I don't like him but I have spoken up for him for NOT being a racist. 
    I would describe the tweet as mistakenly racially offensive.. not from someone who is a racist...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Not intended to cause offence!!!!!
    Jesus Christ Dazzler......that’s the very point......it did cause offence and quite understandably so.
    I was pretty offended myself and the whole point is, at worst, he didn’t give a fuck if it did or not or secondly didn’t think it would. He was wrong on both counts.
    If I posted something like that about your family you’d be out and about looking for me to throw a right hander..........and who would blame you.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I mean my little girl is a right mischievous little monkey at the moment and I'm not a fan of physical violence despite being trained in Jiu Jitsu, so I'd probably be able to refrain.

If and this is a big if he intended to cause offence through racism, burn the little bastard.
  • Options
    So what Baker did isn't racist but Nigel Garage is ? FFS some of u Red Wedge are deluded
    That’s a very odd post. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Main story on the BBC six o’clock news . Utterly ridiculous.
  • Options
    Nine pages of arguing over a short fat millwall prick.
    That's my contribution. 
    Oi, don't try to take all the credit. Lots of us have contributed to this nine page argument :wink:
  • Options
    Main story on the BBC six o’clock news . Utterly ridiculous.
    It's like they've come up with a new episode of W1A for us.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:
    Bigot is an interesting slur coming from a poster known for anti-Irish and anti-immigrant posts, and has abused Lifers living abroad as 'traitors' or attacked their non-British spouses/families.
    Coming from you that is rich. 
  • Options
    Whoever's banging on about the "dictionary definition" of racism, have a word.

Racism is such a broad concept with so many manifestations that narrowing it down to a dictionary definition is reductive; simplistic; and stifles conversation around issues such as this (and it is an issue within racism).
  • Options
    Interviewed on his doorstep .. he had no idea who had just had a baby, just that there had been a royal birth .. he can join the @Karim_myBagheri Ostrich head in sand/man on the moon club ((:>)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Chizz said:
    seth plum said:
    I think he is an excellent broadcaster, but this tweeting event is monumentally stupid and inevitably leads to sanctions, how can it not?

I have discovered that facebook and twitter are part of the same multi national astonishingly rich company.
    They are rich because common sense indicates that nothing comes for free even if you don't pay them direct money.
    God knows why so much of modern discourse is carried out on these questionable platforms enriching already very rich companies. (What was that about paying tax?)
    I am not on either twitter or facebook, and the more time passes I feel more relieved.
    What is totally annoying is that so many others, individuals and organisations, assume we all have facebook and twitter. They are salespeople for the already incredibly rich aren't they? As a result there is a sense of alienation, even a weird disenfranchisement (as well as the relief I mentioned above) and a feeling of being out of the loop if you're not on those two platforms.
    I suppose as a vegetarian I'm used to swimming against the tide, but I see twitter and facebook as an undiluted diet of something like the MacDonalds of the intellect, communication, and online existence.
    This latest 'look at me' event is an example of the paucity of modern culture.

If the BBC put Alan Green on in his slot though I will despair.
    They're not
    I stand corrected. I always thought they were.
    Maybe you’re thinking of Instagram, which is owned by Facebook.
  • Options
    Interviewed on his doorstep .. he had no idea who had just had a baby, just that there had been a royal birth .. he can join the @Karim_myBagheri Ostrich head in sand/man on the moon club ((:>)
    Danny good mates with Wayne Hennessey.
  • Options
    Danny good mates with Wayne Hennessey’s lawyer
    Fixed.
  • Options
    Because that is not the world we live in anymore. 
  • Options
    Baker's fallen for the old "I can say and post what I like, because I'm a media liberal luvvie and so everyone will know that I can't possibly be racists / sexist / homophobic".

Reckon he'll turn up on the TalkSport midnight slot within 12 months
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Because that is not the world we live in anymore. 
    Is that a good world to live in though?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    This sort of thing drives me mad. You could equally say that those calling this racist are racists themselves as they have themselves made the connection between a chimp and someone of mixed/black race in order to call it racist. Yet those who don't see that connection could be deemed as racist and supporting a racist tweet for saying they don't see anything wrong with it.