Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Baker

Comments

• Options
    "For a start, he didn’t say he didn’t know. I took it to mean he simply didn’t think about it. Neither had I at any point until yesterday. "

Baker said on camera yesterday he did not know the baby was mixed race.
  • Options
    Chrissake @JiMMy 85. You of all people know something about the professional side of working in broadcast media. Baker has to know this. He has to. In order to do his job, he needs to know what the country is talking about on any given day, before he decides what to lampoon, what to decide to ignore, what to put his idiosyncratic spin on. All of which he has a certain talent for. He didn't know??????

It's more likely that Mick McCarthy really didn't see Van den Hauwe's elbow that broke Shaun Newton's nose...
  • Options
    At the time he posted the tweet, the racial connotations apparently did not even cross his mind. When I first saw the tweet, I thought it was distinctly unfunny, and the racial connotations also did not occur to me. It never even entered my head that there was more to it than a puerile attack on privilege. 

Only later, when the furore started, did I realise what else could be construed. In hindsight, it’s now obvious ... but I honestly did not see it at first. 

• Options
    Chrissake @JiMMy 85. You of all people know something about the professional side of working in broadcast media. Baker has to know this. He has to. In order to do his job, he needs to know what the country is talking about on any given day, before he decides what to lampoon, what to decide to ignore, what to put his idiosyncratic spin on. All of which he has a certain talent for. He didn't know??????

It's more likely that Mick McCarthy really didn't see Van den Hauwe's elbow that broke Shaun Newton's nose...
    I don’t think he’s saying he didn’t know. He’s saying it didn’t occur to him. That was the thrust of my post! 
  • Options
    Can't wait for him to appear on Piers Morgan's True Life Stories...
  • Options
    I genuinely never knew that Ross Barkley was mixed race
     Ross Barkley took his Mother's name and not his Nigerian Father's name Effanga.
    Have seen photos of Ross playing in an U13 match and he is a giant compared to the other kids his own age.
  • Options
    See, the thing is (as we’re all still going on about it). 
    It can be offensive to someone. 
    It matters not ‘how’ or ‘why’. 
    He chose to use that photo, as a joke, to have a pop at the royal baby. 

At the end of the day, it’s a baby. They’re new parents. Only Megan chose that life. So to make a joke out of it imo is sad & he is now facing the consequence. 
    Exactly my point.....the racial accusations are a separate issue.
    Let’s say Meghan wasn’t of mixed race parentage.....it was still a very nasty joke....if you can even call it a joke.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    stonemuse said:
    At the time he posted the tweet, the racial connotations apparently did not even cross his mind. When I first saw the tweet, I thought it was distinctly unfunny, and the racial connotations also did not occur to me. It never even entered my head that there was more to it than a puerile attack on privilege. 

Only later, when the furore started, did I realise what else could be construed. In hindsight, it’s now obvious ... but I honestly did not see it at first. 

That's all very well -and I believe you and anyone else who did not give it a thought - but my point is that Danny Baker is a professional. I don't hate him, and I give him credit for meeting the BBC's professional standards for what, 30 years. His show might sound like he just wanders in and carries on the conversations he had in the pub the previous night, but no way does he just do it off the cuff. There is no way the BBC would let him. The whole country has been talking about Meghan, long before she even got pregnant. He will have following that throughout because that's what his constituency talks about. I started not to like him and stopped listening because of the bullying streak, and now I'm adding comfortable liar to that trait.
  • Options
    This thread should be kept for future generations to show just how ridiculous some threads can become .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bollocks... the media by drawing attention to the photo are inciting racism.....grow up everyone.
  • Options

I had a lovely pint of this cider this afternoon. I hope it doesn't make me a racist.  
  • Options
    Nice trophy on the wall there Stig
  • Options
    Danny Baker made an awful mistake. He apologised for it profusely and has been punished. And he will, no doubt, be constantly reminded him of it.

I wish I could say that I had never ever spoken, sent a text, posted something on a forum etc etc which I later hadn't regretted. But I can't. And I don't suppose there are too many that can either.

Sure mate. But I don't know about you, but I take a bit more care when I'm writing in a professional capacity, which Danny Baker was when he wrote that tweet.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    This won't go away, someone has reported to the police that despite Baker saying he didn't even know which Royal Princess had given birth he tweeted about it 2 days before his infamous post.
    The Met are investigating, as they are duty bound to.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7015969/Danny-Baker-tweeted-royal-baby-two-days-posting-racist-monkey-tweet.html
  • Options
    Danny Baker made an awful mistake. He apologised for it profusely and has been punished. And he will, no doubt, be constantly reminded him of it.

I wish I could say that I had never ever spoken, sent a text, posted something on a forum etc etc which I later hadn't regretted. But I can't. And I don't suppose there are too many that can either.

Please,Please, please stop comparing yourself to the likes of Danny Baker.

You post something risque and nobody gives a shit. He's got over half a million followers.
    He's playing by the same rules as the likes of somebody like Kylie Jenner.
     She posts or tweets the latest eye shadow she's started using and it's a best seller within hours.
    Bruno Mars pops out his latest single on Twitter or Instagram and everyone's is singing it by the end of the day.
    The power of social media I'm afraid. And Baker is on it everyday without fail. He's profited from it in spades no doubt.

He clearly didn't understand or pay heed to power of the negative side should one of his rogue outbursts fall foul.

Social media.
    When it's good it's very good.
    When it's bad it will churn you up and spit you out.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Speak for yourself! 
    He is speaking for himself; he's telling us what he supposes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Give it up

Danny Baker is an occasionally funny tool, From the tool box. 

Nothing serious to see here, move on 

• Options
    Danny Baker is now to be 'probed' by the Police.

:s
  • Options

Please,Please, please stop comparing yourself to the likes of Danny Baker.

You post something risque and nobody gives a shit. He's got over half a million followers.
    He's playing by the same rules as the likes of somebody like Kylie Jenner.
     She posts or tweets the latest eye shadow she's started using and it's a best seller within hours.
    Bruno Mars pops out his latest single on Twitter or Instagram and everyone's is singing it by the end of the day.
    The power of social media I'm afraid. And Baker is on it everyday without fail. He's profited from it in spades no doubt.

He clearly didn't understand or pay heed to power of the negative side should one of his rogue outbursts fall foul.

Social media.
    When it's good it's very good.
    When it's bad it will churn you up and spit you out.
    How do you know I don't have that many? There's my mum, my sister, my two sons and @Riviera - that's five for a start.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    a police investigation into 'is Baker guilty of publishing racist photos' is a step too far .. however he should be investigated for nicking a living from the BBC licence payer for decades
  • Options
    The irony being that because of his 'joke' the middle and upper classes that love him and are sticking up for him won't be able to listen to him on a Saturday morning when they're taking Tarquin to Rowing club or Esmeralda to dressage!
    Never had me down for middle class LOL.
  • Options
    Half the world doesn't have enough food or clean water, impending climate change chaos, war and suffering all over the shop and the shambles of brexit and 12 pages and blanket media coverage of a poxy tweet and subsequent witchunt.

Generation moron. We really have become a bunch of fucking idiots. Pathetic 
     So what are you doing to help solve the worlds problems? Moaning about how many foreigners there are in English football. Well done fella.