Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Baker

Comments

• Options
    I can recall luvvie duvvie Lineker G referring to the Cameroon national side as the 'Macaroons' during world cup 1990 .. this was an era of course when digs and jokes at skin colour were deemed quite acceptable in many quarters .. I guess the Cameroonians laughed it off and just gave Lineker a good kicking as a sign of respect and friendship
  • Options
    Well I cannot see it and I love jokes. Your explanation is what he keeps saying but it doesn’t make it funny. Jokes are funny. There is no joke. 
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Well I cannot see it and I love jokes. Your explanation is what he keeps saying but it doesn’t make it funny. Jokes are funny. There is no joke. 
    I think it’s one for the intellectuals......

I didn’t really get it as a joke.....but then again it didn’t have some type of bodily function as the subject matter. 
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    Humour is subjective, just because you didn't see it as a joke, doesn't mean it wasn't.  There are countless 'comedians' out there that many of us would sit stony faced at whilst others literally wet themselves.

Oh yeah! Micky Flanagan. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Riviera said:
    I think it’s one for the intellectuals......

I didn’t really get it as a joke.....but then again it didn’t have some type of bodily function as the subject matter. 
    Blow off ones crack me up mate
  • Options
    This sort of thing drives me mad. You could equally say that those calling this racist are racists themselves as they have themselves made the connection between a chimp and someone of mixed/black race in order to call it racist. Yet those who don't see that connection could be deemed as racist and supporting a racist tweet for saying they don't see anything wrong with it.
    So if you have a go at fans throwing bananas at black players, you are the racist because its you making the connection? 
  • Options
    I genuinely never knew that Ross Barkley was mixed race
  • Options
    I genuinely never knew that Ross Barkley was mixed race
    Neither did I until I read that post.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    The irony being that because of his 'joke' the middle and upper classes that love him and are sticking up for him won't be able to listen to him on a Saturday morning when they're taking Tarquin to Rowing club or Esmeralda to dressage!
  • Options
    "Stan Collymore knocks it out the park" would this be his wife he had just clumped or some old sort he was banging whilst dogging in said park ? 
    Man's an utter twonk

• Options
    Not really bothered by this but an 11 page thread can not be ignored!

I think his apology is legit and heartfelt. He deleted the tweet straight away unlike Alan Sugar. Baker will be back once this all blows over. 
  • Options
    "Stan Collymore knocks it out the park" would this be his wife he had just clumped or some old sort he was banging whilst dogging in said park ? 
    Man's an utter twonk

Hey look! Someone who bothered to engage with what Collymore actually wrote!

Oh. Wait.
  • Options
    24 Red said:
    Very ill-judged by DB of course, but the BBC's reaction is predictably over the top. They are so far up the arse of the royal family.
    Nobody, be they Royals or Joe Public, deserve to be ridiculed in such a spiteful thoughtless fashion.
    He should know better.

Fair comment, but have you not watched the intros to the 'Graham Norton Show' then, or episodes of 'Have I Got News For You'? Double standards all round. Don't intend to get into an argument about this, everyone is entitled to their views, just my opinion.
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    I'm not sure Sugar even works for the BBC. Pretty sure The Apprentice is made by an independent TV company that sell it to the BBC.  
    DB's Saturday morning phone in show was a Campbell Davison Media production.

Not that technicalities over Sugar's employment, direct or otherwise, mitigate the blatant bigotry. 
  • Options

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jints said:
    This sort of thing drives me mad. You could equally say that those calling this racist are racists themselves as they have themselves made the connection between a chimp and someone of mixed/black race in order to call it racist. Yet those who don't see that connection could be deemed as racist and supporting a racist tweet for saying they don't see anything wrong with it.
    So if you have a go at fans throwing bananas at black players, you are the racist because its you making the connection? 
    Yes - Unless you were only having a go at them for wasting food. 
  • Options
    .....I'd be catching and eating the bananas 
  • Options
    Riviera said:
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Danny's apology in full...

"Good morning, everyone. Following one of the worst days of my life I just want to formally apologise for the outrage I caused and explain how I got myself into this mess. I chose the wrong photo to illustrate a joke. Disastrously so.

"In attempting to lampoon privilege & the news cycle I went to a file of goofy pictures & saw the chimp dressed as a Lord and thought, "That's the one!" Had I kept searching I might have chosen General Tom Thumb or even a a baby in a crown. But I didn't. God knows I wish had.

"Minutes later I was alerted by followers that this royal baby was of course mixed race and waves of panic and revulsion washed over me. Fuck, what had I done? I needed no lessons on the centuries slurs equating simians and people of colour. Racism at it's basest.

"I am aware black people do not need a white man to tell them this. Deleting it immediately and apologising for the awful gaffe I even foolishly tried to make light of it. (My situation that is, not the racism involved.) Too late and here I am.

"I would like once and for all to apologise to every single person who, quite naturally, took the awful connection at face value. I understand that and all of the clamour and opprobrium I have faced since. I am not feeling sorry for myself. I fucked up. Badly.

"But it was a genuine, naive and catastrophic mistake. There is of course little media/twitter traction in such a straight-forward explanation. The picture in context as presented was obviously shamefully racist. It was never intended so - seriously who on earth would 'go there'?

"Anyway i am now paying the price for this crass & regrettable blunder and rightly so. Probably even this final word from me will extend the mania. ('Dog whistle' anyone?) I would like to thank friends on here for their kinder words and once again - I am so, so sorry."

At least he admits the picture and caption itself was undoubtedly racist, something that some on here could not see. Goodness knows why not. 
    According to some  if you came to the conclusion  that the picture was in some way racist then you're the one that's the racist for making the connection. So by that logic Danny Baker has now admitted he's a racist. 
  • Options
    See, the thing is (as we’re all still going on about it). 
    It can be offensive to someone. 
    It matters not ‘how’ or ‘why’. 
    He chose to use that photo, as a joke, to have a pop at the royal baby. 

At the end of the day, it’s a baby. They’re new parents. Only Megan chose that life. So to make a joke out of it imo is sad & he is now facing the consequence. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Leuth said:
    The BBC platforms racists, bigots and dangerous far-right figureheads every week on its topical news programmes and political debates. Then it sacks Baker for what's clearly a deeply stupid but unintentionally malicious tweet. Absolute shambles of an organisation. 

@Leuth

Less than 24 hours after Leuth's original post & the BBC gives platform to Ben Shapiro.
  • Options
    Jints said:
    “I was saying he was being a lazy player, thought he needed a quick burst of sugar and potassium” 
  • Options
    Jints said:
    “I was saying he was being a lazy player, thought he needed a quick burst of sugar and potassium” 

Did you get that from the 'Book of Excuses' - author Mr D Baker
  • Options
    Jints said:
    Really?
  • Options
    He really cannot get away with the excuse that he did not know the baby or his Mum was mixed race. He's Danny Baker, working for the BBC, not effing Stuwall. Completely undermines the elegant language of his "apology". 

No way he can wriggle out of this. Spanner twat.
  • Options
    As well as Ben Shapiro, here is some other names: