Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Danny Baker

Comments

• Options
    24 Red said:
    Very ill-judged by DB of course, but the BBC's reaction is predictably over the top. They are so far up the arse of the royal family.
    Nobody, be they Royals or Joe Public, deserve to be ridiculed in such a spiteful thoughtless fashion.
    He should know better.
    if not a rabid 'anti royalist',  I consider the whole notion of 'Royals and Highnesses' and all the other associated tosh, to be ridiculous relics from the 16th Century .. BUT, I agree totally with your sentiments about common (or 'royal' lol) politeness and good manners
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    "the BBC platforms racist bigots every week" what utter bollox
    Yes Jeremy Corbyn often gets interviewed

Sorry anti semitism isn't racism is it?

Silly me!
    That’s danny bakers problem, he’s a broadcaster, if he was a leader of a political party and a magic grandpa everyone would be defending the racist picture. Silly Danny. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    @Lincsaddick - I will take you up on your LOL on my post. Are you suggesting that Danny Baker is a racist, and that he tweeted that picture as a demonstration of that racism?   
    you'll take me up ? .. I know not if Baker is a racist .. what I believe is that he is a jumped up twerp who thinks he's funny and amusing, talents that many on here also attribute to him. They are of course entitled to their view.
    His tweet whether or not racist or merely intended just as a joke at the expense of the royal family is a good example of his arrogance bordering on idiocy.
     I think he's as funny as a kick in the bollocks (if I were on the receiving end) and as amusing as a wet day in Dungeness, i.e. I cannot stand sight nor sound of the geezer .. does that answer your query adequately ?
    Not in any way, shape or form, unless you think "don't know" is any kind of answer in this context. You just repeated that you dislike him for other reasons, so are happy he has been sacked. You have, in time honoured fashion, dodged the question. 

A few of the "hang 'em, flog 'em, it's PC gone mad" types suddenly gone all soft and fluffy because they don't like the bloke involved. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019

@Lincsaddick - I will take you up on your LOL on my post. Are you suggesting that Danny Baker is a racist, and that he tweeted that picture as a demonstration of that racism?   
    you'll take me up ? .. I know not if Baker is a racist .. what I believe is that he is a jumped up twerp who thinks he's funny and amusing, talents that many on here also attribute to him. They are of course entitled to their view.
    His tweet whether or not racist or merely intended just as a joke at the expense of the royal family is a good example of his arrogance bordering on idiocy.
     I think he's as funny as a kick in the bollocks (if I were on the receiving end) and as amusing as a wet day in Dungeness, i.e. I cannot stand sight nor sound of the geezer .. does that answer your query adequately ?
    Not in any way, shape or form, unless you think "don't know" is any kind of answer in this context. You just repeated that you dislike him for other reasons, so are happy he has been sacked. You have, in time honoured fashion, dodged the question. 

A few of the "hang 'em, flog 'em, it's PC gone mad" types suddenly gone all soft and fluffy because they don't like the bloke involved. 

pedantic arguing as usual from you .. I have no idea of Baker's state of mind re 'racism' and neither do you have any idea .. so do me a  favour and bore off .. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    So what Baker did isn't racist but Nigel Farage is ? FFS some of u Red Wedge are deluded
  • Options
    https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/09/racism-like-danny-bakers-tweet-is-usually-explained-away-im-glad-the-bbc-fired-him-9465905/

Strong stuff from this lady. Lets herself down though by referring to him as a DJ on 5Live which is a music free news and sport station. 
  • Options
    A few people on this thread who are sooo quick to label people as racist for having a different view on the EU are falling over themselves to jump to Bakers defence. Have a word with yourselves. 

I'm not saying that he is a racist, but what on earth was he thinking of? I'm not a royalist (far from it) or offended but I understand why he had to go.

No I'm not a Baker fan, but hope that I would have the same view if I was.

Indeed Telly town clocks some of them...
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I think people are wrapped up in their dislike of Baker here. 

You're assuming racism because you don't like him. He isn't racist. It wasn't racism. It wasn't intended to cause offence. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Worth a listen to the LBC interview where Baker accepts he should get the sack, and doesn't have a problem with that, he admits he made a terrible mistake, and has to pay the price
  • Options
     Currently top topic on Eddie Mair show on LBC. Played the interview on O Bigots show, 

A lift engineer at work whose black said today he cant understand what all the fuss is about, if you look to be offended you will find something. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
     Currently top topic on Eddie Mair show on LBC. Played the interview on O Bigots show, 

Whether a fan or not "bigot" is about as far from an accurate  description of James O'Brien as you can get. He's the polar opposite 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Riviera said:
    I do not think Baker is the slightest bit racist. I don't like him but to be fair you could have hardly avoided him over the last 40 years if you share his interests in music, football and trivia. I cannot recall him even make a tiny generalisation to a race or nationality like many did 30+ years ago like Germans nicking the sunbeds or Italians being bad drivers etc. I know he is fan of Monty Python, Fawlty Towers and Only Fools and these programs contain some shocking racist pieces and some casual ones too. He does not or has ever himself done the same on TV or radio or in print as far as I know. If he had someone would have found it by now.
     However the post WAS racist intentionally or otherwise. To say if you associate monkeys with people of colour then you are the racist is utter rubbish. Our society does it through the idiots who make noises to black footballers etc. It is a so high profile problem that you'd have to have been living like a hermit for years to not be aware. Anyone of even limited intelligence knows of this kind of disgusting behaviour. 
     It was not Bakers intention to be racist, I 100% believe that but it was so utterly stupid to not realise that it would be seen a racist. Some of the apologists for him have been beyond belief, his supposed fascination with monkeys dressed as humans is a really weak argument. Whether he should have been sacked for it I'm not sure but personally I'm glad he's off the airways, for now at least. I don't see how the BBC had any option. Remember Carol Thatcher on The One Show? They set a precedent with her after she described Jo-Wilfried Tsonga as a cuddly golliwog, and that was off air in the Green Room. 
    The post simply was not racist. Racism is about believing you or someone else is superior based upon race.

The picture was taking the piss out of posh people... Last time I checked posh wasn't a race.

My statement was that if you associated a chimp with a person of colour then you are racist.

The football 'fans' throwing bananas and making monkey noises are associating people of colour with chimps/monkeys... They are racist.

If you then continue to associate those things I have to say, I believe that makes you racist.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    @bigstemarra, thank-you for familiarising me with the 'Dunning - Kruger effect.'
    It encapsulates the current modernity perfectly.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Riviera said:
    I do not think Baker is the slightest bit racist. I don't like him but to be fair you could have hardly avoided him over the last 40 years if you share his interests in music, football and trivia. I cannot recall him even make a tiny generalisation to a race or nationality like many did 30+ years ago like Germans nicking the sunbeds or Italians being bad drivers etc. I know he is fan of Monty Python, Fawlty Towers and Only Fools and these programs contain some shocking racist pieces and some casual ones too. He does not or has ever himself done the same on TV or radio or in print as far as I know. If he had someone would have found it by now.
     However the post WAS racist intentionally or otherwise. To say if you associate monkeys with people of colour then you are the racist is utter rubbish. Our society does it through the idiots who make noises to black footballers etc. It is a so high profile problem that you'd have to have been living like a hermit for years to not be aware. Anyone of even limited intelligence knows of this kind of disgusting behaviour. 
     It was not Bakers intention to be racist, I 100% believe that but it was so utterly stupid to not realise that it would be seen a racist. Some of the apologists for him have been beyond belief, his supposed fascination with monkeys dressed as humans is a really weak argument. Whether he should have been sacked for it I'm not sure but personally I'm glad he's off the airways, for now at least. I don't see how the BBC had any option. Remember Carol Thatcher on The One Show? They set a precedent with her after she described Jo-Wilfried Tsonga as a cuddly golliwog, and that was off air in the Green Room. 
    The post simply was not racist. Racism is about believing you or someone else is superior based upon race.

The picture was taking the piss out of posh people... Last time I checked posh wasn't a race.

My statement was that if you associated a chimp with a person of colour then you are racist.

The football 'fans' throwing bananas and making monkey noises are associating people of colour with chimps/monkeys... They are racist.

If you then continue to associate those things I have to say, I believe that makes you racist.
    The logical gymnastics in this post are Olympic level. 
  • Options

Whether a fan or not "bigot" is about as far from an accurate  description of James O'Brien as you can get. He's the polar opposite 
    You're quite right, he is a social justice warrior. He is often right but also regularly wrong.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

You're quite right, he is a social justice warrior. He is often right but also regularly wrong.
    Social Justice Warrior, ffs, have a word with yourself
  • Options

He is go and ring his show and have a different view to his, and see how tolerant he is to your view, if you get a chance to say it. He thinks his view is gospel and that is the polar opposite to most people. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think someone's not at home to Mr Dictionary. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Dazzler21 said:
    I think people are wrapped up in their dislike of Baker here. 

You're assuming racism because you don't like him. He isn't racist. It wasn't racism. It wasn't intended to cause offence. 
     Don't dislike Baker at all. Listened to him for donkeys years and saw him last year.
    I don't think he's a racist either.

But this was wrong and he f**** up.

He does have a habit of going too far. Think he'll struggle to come back from this.
    Doubt he's too bothered. He loves the States and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ups sticks and heads off over there in the not too distant future.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Just to confirm,

Social Justice Warrior was originally a positive term... It was only bellends on twitter that changed it in to a term to attack individuals with. I exist on twitter but am not a regular user and as such don't align myself to their understanding.

Maybe I should use 'Progressive' but that insinuates that I don't believe at some level he does it for his own gain... His radio show massively benefits from him taking his progressive stance and as such he fits what the term was originally coined for.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I stupidly thought I knew what racism and democracy actually was.
    Thank God for this forum to put me right over the last few months.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Stuff and things. I don't want to argue anymore I'm pretty sure we all agree racism is wrong, Baker isn't racist, baker's post was received as offence.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    The definition of racism is set in stone.

If you believe you are better or worse than someone because of race, that is racism.

Yes it works for positive and negative discrimination.
    The English language is fluid, words and their meanings are constantly changing. So no, it is not set in stone. No word is.