Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The £5 pint

Comments

• Options
    Was paying the equivalent of 7.60GBP for pints of little creatures in Bangkok yesterday. Fairly regular price for a nice beer. 
  • Options
    I worked with a guy who promised he was going to give up beer if the price of a pint got to £1. 
    My first pint in a pub as a 16 year old in 1971 was 11p.

• Options
    I went into a spoons the other day and ordered two pints of cider. I was panicking a bit as I only had a tenner plus a bit of Schrapnell. The round cost just under a fiver. I forgot I was in a spoons 😀 
  • Options
    I go to a little place in Leadenhall market. Dunno it’s name but it doubles up as a healthy takeaway place at lunchtime. Do a variety of ales and local crafts & they only takes cards.
  • Options
    How long until the £10 pint thread starts?
    That day has long gone here in Boston. I haven’t done the spreadsheet, but I reckon craft IPAs are in the £12-14 range for a pint. It only looks cheaper because the only sell halves. 
  • Options
    I worked with a guy who promised he was going to give up beer if the price of a pint got to £1. 

I spent my UCCA fee (£4) on five pints of draught Guinness in The Ship in Dartford. And thus ended any chance of career success...
  • Options
    £5.60 pint of estrella in the cyclist balham 
  • Options
    Was paying the equivalent of 7.60GBP for pints of little creatures in Bangkok yesterday. Fairly regular price for a nice beer. 
    The Aussie beer? Lovely drop if so, cousin had it at her wedding and I've seen a bar in the city that sells it. Probably not far off £7.60.
  • Options
    I go to a little place in Leadenhall market. Dunno it’s name but it doubles up as a healthy takeaway place at lunchtime. Do a variety of ales and local crafts & they only takes cards.
    We Grill. Started having a small temporary bar outside in the evening but since built a permanent one and inside. Again being the city can be pricey but they do get some decent stuff.

Cheapest place in the city for craft/real ales is Pelt Trader by Cannon Street. Most are £5 and under, seen some session ales in there under £4.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colthe3rd said:
    We Grill. Started having a small temporary bar outside in the evening but since built a permanent one and inside. Again being the city can be pricey but they do get some decent stuff.

Cheapest place in the city for craft/real ales is Pelt Trader by Cannon Street. Most are £5 and under, seen some session ales in there under £4.
    That’s it. Do Harvey’s (my go to) and fourpure amongst others. Where exactly is the pelt trader? Don’t know that one.
  • Options
    10 years ago you used to get 2 pints for £5, although I didn't drink in the finest of establishments.
    When I started work at £10 a week a pint in the City was about 6p.  If beer had moved in line with inflation it would be about £1.10 a pint or no more than £2.20 if in line with wages.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

At what age did you buy your 1st 100k 3 bed house
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Oggy Red said:

I was 24 (1981) when I bought a 3 bedroom semi detached house in Welling for £55,000. Refurbished it from top to bottom and sold it for £80,000 4 years later. 
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Oggy Red said:

I've  bought 4 houses during my time ...... and the most I paid was £45k.

Careful you're not being ripped off clb74. :smile:

• Options
    edited August 2019
    colthe3rd said:

That’s it. Do Harvey’s (my go to) and fourpure amongst others. Where exactly is the pelt trader? Don’t know that one.
    Dowgate Hill, the street that runs down the side of the station to Upper Thames Street. Last time I was there one of the barmaids was a Charlton fan as well. 
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Dowgate Hill, the street that runs down the side of the station to Upper Thames Street. Last time I was there one of the barmaids was a Charlton fan as well. 
    If it’s what I think it looks a bit like a lock up, on the left on the walk down toward The Banker. Was doing a decent trade when I walked past a few weeks ago
  • Options
    Bud Light £1.99 in many Weatherspoons. 
  • Options
    The White Swan has crept over a fiver during the close season for a pint of Moretti. I paid £10.60 for two pints before the Stoke game. Last season it was exactly a tenner. 
  • Options
    Broke my record in Oslo with a £12 half litre, so call it a £13 pint.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    spoons do a job and some of them aren't that bad, and they are cheap, brilliant on an away day. 
    don't mind a pub that's a bit different charging a little more but when your bog standard fullers is charging a bit you do mind. 

saturday afternoon went down greenwich

lost hour - brewdog lager £5.45
                      beavertown neck oil £5.50                                    
    sail loft - meantime anytime ipa £5.65
    the gyspy moth - gigglemug american pale £5.60

the above you don't mind paying a bit more for as its not standard stuff, when a pint of estrella ( which seems to be quite popular and pricey ) is over £5.50 you are going to grumble. 
  • Options
    Just moved from working in the city (where you look at your bank account the following day and scream silently) to Colchester. So help me it had better be cheaper.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Just moved from working in the city (where you look at your bank account the following day and scream silently) to Colchester. So help me it had better be cheaper.
    I have decided I can swallow putting my hand in my pocket for a different good quality ipa or lager but as loads of other have said over a fiver for a pint of stella mashed up with cleaning fluid will get a bad reaction from me. I don't go out a tenth as often as I used to so if I'm going to have a drink and suffer the I'll effects I'd rather it be from something nice. Which generally lessens the nastiness the following day
  • Options
    I went to the Ryder cup last September, 500ml of Carling was 12 Euros.... Refused to buy it
  • Options
    I went to see The Strokes at All Points East this year and they were charging £7 for a can of Red Stripe. 
  • Options
    I paid £15 for a pint of Thatchers and a glass of Prosecco at Bristol Airport.
  • Options
    There's a FB post of mine that pops up on my memory hop each year.  It was me raving about the dial Arch at the Arsenal but saying that I wouldnt be able to afford to drink their too often as a pint was 3.60.  I miss those days.

I think i paid over six quid for a pint in the Hydrant recently.  You notice it more when you buy just the one drink. It stings. 
  • Options
    I went to see The Strokes at All Points East this year and they were charging £7 for a can of Red Stripe. 

I used to go to audition night at Dingwalls in the mid seventies (on a Monday). £1 to get in, and a Pound bought you 4 cans of red stripe. Large ones. Sorted.
    Saw some great bands there too!
  • Options
    All airports are a rip off. 
    Back in the days when you could take your own food and drink to an airport it wasn't so bad.
    But now that you can't they charge what they like. 
  • Options
    All airports are a rip off. 
    Back in the days when you could take your own food and drink to an airport it wasn't so bad.
    But now that you can't they charge what they like. 
    And people call me tight!