Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The £5 pint

Comments

• edited October 2019

A pleasant stop after yesterday's hop.

A shame only one was drunk......
  • clb74 said:
    If anyone lives near the bickley and widmore club there was a mistake on the doombar order currently £1.50 pint 
    Send help

• T_C_E said:
    clb74 said:
    If anyone lives near the bickley and widmore club there was a mistake on the doombar order currently £1.50 pint 
    Send help

I wish my legs were as long as this.

• Drinking in local Spoons last night a 5 drink round was £15.

Got 3 pizzas, two chicken dishes and a bowl of loaded chips for £20.

How anyone can knock that chain I’ll never understand. 
    What did everyone else have?
  • In the Wings bar at Welling yesterday and a fellow Addick and I were toasting pints at £3 each.
  • This thread should now read £7, has anybody hit this magic figure yet?

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/tim-martin-andrew-marr-pint-price-rise-brexit/

£10 soon according to this expert.
    Pretty regularly. Even in a Sam Smiths in the City that I use (previously a good spot for decent beer at a decent price) a pint is now £7.10.
  • More mug you for paying it.
  • God, I dream of having a £5 pint now. 

Think I paid £7:80 for a pint in the barrow boy and banker last month. 
    Glad I don’t drink as much in the pub as I did years ago. 
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    This thread should now read £7, has anybody hit this magic figure yet?
    Pretty regularly. Even in a Sam Smiths in the City that I use (previously a good spot for decent beer at a decent price) a pint is now £7.10.

Ouch, there is a great Sam Smiths at the bottom of Portobello market, this was well under £6 last summer.

The Chandos was always very cheap in comparison to all other pubs in the area, I suppose that has gone up.

One of my mates said Twickenham were charging £7.75 a pint for the Depeche Mode concert.
    £3.50 in the club.

• clb74 said:
    This thread should now read £7, has anybody hit this magic figure yet?
    £3.50 in the club.

Makes the Bromley South spoons expensive mate.
  • Dont get it, if you dont want to spend that much or more than £5 on a pint just dont go to the pub or go to a spoons instead. Not that i would advise anyone goes to a spoons.
  • Pope St, New Eltham, £6.75 for a pint.... that's West End prices in a zone 4 pub. 
  • Dont get it, if you dont want to spend that much or more than £5 on a pint just dont go to the pub or go to a spoons instead. Not that i would advise anyone goes to a spoons.
    Out of interest, why not? Was in the Dartford spoons last week, Pint of Guinness and Pint of Lager came to £5.56 (£3.21 and £2.35). That’s with prompt, no additional charge table service. 

The beers were fine, no complaints there, the pub was well staffed and clean. Unless the venue is a complete hole,  surely it’s your company that’s the most important thing when you go out? If you’re needing to be a bit careful with your pennies, places charging £5.56 instead of £13+ should be applauded not ridiculed imo 

He's on 200k a year.
  • Around 18 months ago I was in The Shortlands Tavern and bought a Punk IPA, it was £6.30 a mile down the road in the Bromley South spoons it was £3.30 a bloody big difference.
    As an aside, in the past year there have been about 3 price increases and the pint went up by a pound.
    Out of interest, why not? Was in the Dartford spoons last week, Pint of Guinness and Pint of Lager came to £5.56 (£3.21 and £2.35). That’s with prompt, no additional charge table service. 

The beers were fine, no complaints there, the pub was well staffed and clean. Unless the venue is a complete hole,  surely it’s your company that’s the most important thing when you go out? If you’re needing to be a bit careful with your pennies, places charging £5.56 instead of £13+ should be applauded not ridiculed imo 
    Because of the kind of crowd that go in to them. Very, very working class and unmannered.

Joke of course.

More to do with how Tim Martin treats his staff. That said i have broke my own advice from time to time and conpletely understand what you mean, some are better than others. On the occasion i have been the Furze wren has been ok but the wrong'un is as the name suggests.

He's on 200k a year.
    Not far off mate, Charlie Methven came to my house to look down the sofa for funds to buy Alfie May
  • Sponsored links:

He's on 200k a year.
    Not far off mate, Charlie Methven came to my house to look down the sofa for funds to buy Alfie May

I hope you gave him some new trousers.

Because of the kind of crowd that go in to them. Very, very working class and unmannered.

Joke of course.

More to do with how Tim Martin treats his staff. That said i have broke my own advice from time to time and conpletely understand what you mean, some are better than others. On the occasion i have been the Furze wren has been ok but the wrong'un is as the name suggests.

If you think that one is bad you want to try the one in Petts Wood.

He's on 200k a year.

I hope you gave him some new trousers.
    Nope but he took some of simon maekinoks shorts from lost property and he is using them as fishing trousers
  • Prices in Perth have been like that for a while. The average price across Perth and the Metro area is $10-$12 a pint!.  :/
  • edited June 2023
    Dont get it, if you dont want to spend that much or more than £5 on a pint just dont go to the pub or go to a spoons instead. Not that i would advise anyone goes to a spoons.

Joke of course.

Was at that one yesterday. Paid £4.50 for a pint of Guinness and a half of cider. Daylight Inn across the tracks it's nearly £8 for the same round. Definitely some characters in there!

I always roll my eyes at people who knock Wetherspoons. They're either snobs, can't remove Brexit from their entire thought process like a teenage boy and tits, or both. 
  • Huskaris said:
    Dont get it, if you dont want to spend that much or more than £5 on a pint just dont go to the pub or go to a spoons instead. Not that i would advise anyone goes to a spoons.

Joke of course.

Was at that one yesterday. Paid £4.50 for a pint of Guinness and a half of cider. Daylight Inn across the tracks it's nearly £8 for the same round. Definitely some characters in there!

I always roll my eyes at people who knock Wetherspoons. They're either snobs, can't remove Brexit from their entire thought process like a teenage boy and tits, or both. 
    The one in Orpington high street has closed, a shame.
    Orrington does not have much choice, unlike Bromley.
  • Huskaris said:

Joke of course.

The one in Orpington high street has closed, a shame.
    Orrington does not have much choice, unlike Bromley.
    And funnily enough long standing legal restrictions meant The Daylight Inn in Petts Wood was the only pub within a mile until The Sovereign of The Seas was opened.  

I absolutely love Petts Wood, regularly walk there from the New Eltham end of Chislehurst in the nice weather (get to see a lot of high speed trains, lovely). Some of the best restaurants around (Troy and Indian Essence both get special mentions).
  • Prices in Perth have been like that for a while. The average price across Perth and the Metro area is $10-$12 a pint!.  :/
    Is that "like for like" though? My son worked in a bar in Adelaide on a working holiday visa and as someone with no experience whatsoever was being paid $30 an hour i.e. between two and a half to three times the cost of the pint you mention. He's never worked in a bar here but, from what I can see, the pay is about £9 an hour so that's probably about one and a half times the cost of a pint in a lot of pubs. 
    Is that actually for a pint? I was paying $12 a beer in Sydney a couple of years ago and it turned out to be that schooner nonsense rather than an actual pint!
    Is that "like for like" though? My son worked in a bar in Adelaide on a working holiday visa and as someone with no experience whatsoever was being paid $30 an hour i.e. between two and a half to three times the cost of the pint you mention. He's never worked in a bar here but, from what I can see, the pay is about £9 an hour so that's probably about one and a half times the cost of a pint in a lot of pubs. 
    No idea what the bar staff wages are like here.