Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The £5 pint

Comments

• richie8 said:

In our village you can get a pint of Tennants Lager for £2.40

Tennants lager? Where do you live? 1986?
  • Riviera said:

You mean they pay you £2.20 to drink John Smiths Smooth?

I drink the real ale!

• I'm quite partial to a bishops finger but thats another story.

Or as they call it 'Nuns Delight'
  • edited April 2013
    I like Peroni... Home favourite is Oranjeboom. :-)
  • Riviera said:

richie8 said:

In our village you can get a pint of Tennants Lager for £2.40

Tennants lager? Where do you live? 1986?
    Probably on the street.

• Tiger beer is the nuts imo
  • If you want a soul destroying pricey drink try pacha night club in Victoria.
  • Moretti is the one to beat....f***ing love it!

Actually I like Kingfisher too, better than Cobra I reckon.
  • If i was a landlord/ priced beers i would charge as much as people would willingly part with. Think most of us would.

Im sure they would rather have 50 people paying £3 a pint than 5 rich sods forking out a fiver for one. If everyone boycotted the pubs/ particularly drink for a month in protest the prices would drop over night.

As long as people are willingly coughing up their hard earned for a luxury then the prices are only gonna go one way surely.
  • If i was a landlord/ priced beers i would charge as much as people would willingly part with. Think most of us would.

Im sure they would rather have 50 people paying £3 a pint than 5 rich sods forking out a fiver for one. If everyone boycotted the pubs/ particularly drink for a month in protest the prices would drop over night.

As long as people are willingly coughing up their hard earned for a luxury then the prices are only gonna go one way surely.

How much say do landlords actually have when it comes to beer pricing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Probably very little I imagine DD. Point is Peroni, Stella anyone would soon drop their prices if 90% of people stopped drinking it for a few weeks all of a sudden in protest.

Better to have 100% of peroni lovers drinking peroni at a lower margin than 10% at a higher one.

It all tastes like piss to me 3 pints in anyhow!
  • Trouble would be convincing 90% of the population to stop drinking!
  • DanDavis said:

Trouble would be convincing 90% of the population to stop drinking!

True!

• Affinity Bar B'heath the private hire bit uptop charge £10.50 for a double vodka redbull in a tiny wee plastic cup. Outrageous..
  • Brooklyn beer is my fav.

It's not just rich people who pay a fiver a pint is it?
    Making 20 fags nigh on a tenner doesn't stop the poor smoking does it?
  • edited April 2013
    Nope that my point. If everyone who found it expensive stopped buying peroni for a month and bought any other beer you might get a handful of minted people who really dont find it costly who would keep drinking it but as most will find it dear and boycott it it would impact on the company who would drop their prices.

It is precisely because people who find it expensive still buy it and then complain about the price...but still buy it... that it gets more expensive. Why on earth would any businessman sell something for less than now when people literally queue 5 deep at the bar to pay its current price.
  • When I was out in Auz last year, I have "four wives" and everyone I had tasted good!
  • Off_it said:

That's a shame Chirpy - I always like the "Olde Worlde" feel of it in there.

Might have to pop along and have a look when (if?) the weather picks up.

Oh do! Don't be put off by my lamenting! It's still a nice pub and certainly better than the Gypsy Moth and Trafalgar Tavern.
    I checked out The Yacht, goodness it has changed! I've probably not been in there for 25 years or so. It's very nice but my brief lunchtime visit (just to check it out for my drinking club) was not helped by them having a booking for over 100 French students all having fish and chips, average age 15. The smell of vinegar was overwhelming. Also the beers available were not impressive. Sadly ale is not a main priority for pubs these days. You only have to read Pubspy to see that!
  • When I was out in Auz last year, I have "four wives" and everyone I had tasted good!

Did you drink them from the furry cup?

• Sponsored links:

• Nope that my point. If everyone who found it expensive stopped buying peroni for a month and bought any other beer you might get a handful of minted people who really dont find it costly who would keep drinking it but as most will find it dear and boycott it it would impact on the company who would drop their prices.

It is precisely because people who find it expensive still buy it and then complain about the price...but still buy it... that it gets more expensive. Why on earth would any businessman sell something for less than now when people literally queue 5 deep at the bar to pay its current price.

Surely eveyone who finds it too expensive, dont drink it anyway?
    Therefore the profits they are making are from the people who are happy to pay the premium on it as you dont get forced to buy the more expensive pint.

• I think it has a lot to do with marketing.

If you make something more expensive people tend to think it is better and more desirable than it actually is. Exactly like designer labelled clothing.

Look at me I'm drinking Perroni.

Also Lager is always served as cold as possible so that you cannot taste how vile it really is.

I'll have a pint of ale please I like to be able to taste what I'm drinking.
  • I always imagined myself propping up some bar, pint in hand in my old age. Sadly it looks very much like that won't happen, unless I win the pools!
  • Vinnie V. said:

I think it has a lot to do with marketing.

If you make something more expensive people tend to think it is better and more desirable than it actually is. Exactly like designer labelled clothing.

Look at me I'm drinking Perroni.

Also Lager is always served as cold as possible so that you cannot taste how vile it really is.

I'll have a pint of ale please I like to be able to taste what I'm drinking.

THIS THIS THIS.

Been on the ale all night, room temp, like God intended.

When was the last time you saw someone drink a can of Fosters that wasn't cold? I wonder why!
  • i did notice the local spoons putting their price up 10% last week. also notice the previously mentioned sam smiths prices going up by 20% last year. these pubs are starting to up their prices after diesposing of the competition.
  • edited April 2013
    I've tasted ale and its shite. The fact it's room temperature makes me wanna rip my tongue out.

I'm not a massive lover of larger, but ill drink it. Prefer a guiness nowadays.

• I'm not a massive lover of larger

Don't go on the dogging thread then
  • edited April 2013

I've tasted ale and its shite. The fact it's room temperature makes me wanna rip my tongue out.

Draught Guinness in this country is only black lager.
    It's an overpriced rip off.

Go to Ireland and drink the Guinness served from the hand pump - totally different and you'll appreciate that difference.

• Oggy Red said:

Draught Guinness in this country is only black lager.
    It's an overpriced rip off.

Go to Ireland and drink the Guinness served from the hand pump - totally different and you'll appreciate that difference.

Guinness snob!
  • and you'll pay about 8 euros for it too in some of Dublins finer establishments.

It would help if most bar staff knew how to pour a pint of Guinness properly.