Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The £5 pint

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:

Serves you right, Peroni is crap beer.
    Was an article a while ago about the silly profits introducing Peroni as a premium lager has made the brewer in the UK. Just proves the old addage, a fool and his money are easily parted.

Trouble is if your out with some dimwit that's happy to drink overpriced fizz, you can't really say anything when it's your round; just have to grin a bear it.
    Ah, so you've met "Boom" from on here before then Stig?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Off_it said:

Curb_It said:

What pub?

Founders Arms, Bankside (well, the sun was out and it's a cracking view!)

I have it on good authority that it has been Youngs most profitable pub for something like 4 out of the last 5 years - and at those prices it's not hard to see why.
    I was there just the other week.

SAB Miller have done a cracking job of getting Peroni out into the pubs and I believe it is the UKs most sold lager. I think Peroni was previously only available in Pizza Express (bottles) as the guy that owns that business had the sole import rights. Can't remember the owner's name but my ex-father-in-law used to work for him.

• Options
    £2.50 a pint for Twaites Big Ben in the Lib. So good I had four.
  • Options
    Peroni - the biggest case of 'The Emperor's new clothes' since Stella.

Some of you are the ad man's dream.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

It's here.

Had my first £5 pint in a "normal" pub last night, i.e. not a bar/club, etc - just a run of the mill boozer.

£5.17 for a pint of fairly tasteless italian fizzy water (aka Peroni).

I promised myself I would give up pub bozzing as soon as this day came. A sad sad day for all concerned.

You don't often drink in Central London then?
    Stella, Peroni and other non-imported beers masquerading as European Premium Lagers have been £5+ for well over a year in some City and West End pubs.
  • Options
    Peroni is horrible. I prefer meths.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Yeah I can never make my own mind up when it comes to food and drink. Ill just do whatever the adverts tell me.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Off_it said:

It's here.

Had my first £5 pint in a "normal" pub last night, i.e. not a bar/club, etc - just a run of the mill boozer.

I promised myself I would give up pub bozzing as soon as this day came. A sad sad day for all concerned.

Stella, Peroni and other non-imported beers masquerading as European Premium Lagers have been £5+ for well over a year in some City and West End pubs.
    No. Where's Central London?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Off_it said:

Riviera said:

Off_it said:

It's here.

London is split into 3 zones. Central, Inner and Greater. Central London is covered by postcodes WC and EC. WC is what is commonly called the West End and EC covers The City.
    Inner London is the Inner London boroughs like Greenwich, Lewisham and Islington for example. These have postcodes like W, SW, NW,SE, N and E.
    Finally Greater London covers the outer boroughs like Bromley and Croydon. The Post Office still use counties like Kent and Surrey for these areas but they are actually in London.
    Always happy to help.
  • Options
    lewisham weatherspoons 2 pound a pint, cant go wrong!"
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was at the Circus Tavern playing in the John Smiths darts open sat and a pint of anything is a Fiver even a pint coke for the kids lol
  • Options
    We ended up smuggling in from the garage out side lol
  • Options

I prefer meths.

These days it's all you can get Oop North.

• Options
    Riviera said:

Off_it said:

Riviera said:

Off_it said:

It's here.

London is split into 3 zones. Central, Inner and Greater. Central London is covered by postcodes WC and EC. WC is what is commonly called the West End and EC covers The City.
    Inner London is the Inner London boroughs like Greenwich, Lewisham and Islington for example. These have postcodes like W, SW, NW,SE, N and E.
    Finally Greater London covers the outer boroughs like Bromley and Croydon. The Post Office still use counties like Kent and Surrey for these areas but they are actually in London.
    Always happy to help.
    Hmm. I've got an SE9 postcode but live in the Borough of Bexley. So do I live in Inner or Greater London?
  • Options
    Redskin said:

• Options
    Real Stella is good, but not the stuff manufactured in the UK.
  • Options
    the Founders Arms used to be a cracking pub before the area got 'gentrified' I'm sure it won the standard pub of the year award in the 80s. Had many a good ramrod and special in there. (is it still a young's pub?)
  • Options
    "Bozzing" ?

How many d'you have?
  • Options
    Estrella is a nice pint if you haven't tried- I reccomend. Moretti is nicer than Peroni if you want Italian!
  • Options

Redskin said:

Yeah I can never make my own mind up when it comes to food and drink. Ill just do whatever the adverts tell me.
    Beer snobs are back VG!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riviera said:

Off_it said:

Riviera said:

Off_it said:

It's here.

Always happy to help.
    So W1 (Oxford Street) isn't the West End ?
  • Options
    Macronate said:

no wonder the pub game's dying.

at that price i'd much rather sit indoors drinking fizzy Italian piss water whilst holding hands.

Hope there aren't any Brighton fans reading this........ :)
  • Options

the Founders Arms used to be a cracking pub before the area got 'gentrified' I'm sure it won the standard pub of the year award in the 80s. Had many a good ramrod and special in there. (is it still a young's pub?)

Yep still a youngs pub.

I quite like the Italian fizzy water. Didn't realise it was over a fiver a pint though!
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

I prefer meths.

These days it's all you can get Oop North.

Times are hard Oggy, times are hard :o(
  • Options

I paid like £4.50 for a bottle of Budweiser up Liverpool St, was more expensive than a pint :(

How many of those do you get on 53 quid a week?

• Options
    PL54 said:

Riviera said:

Off_it said:

Riviera said:

Off_it said:

It's here.

Always happy to help.
    So W1 (Oxford Street) isn't the West End ?
    "Commonly" The West End is a colloquial term.
  • Options
    Boom said:

Yep still a youngs pub.

I quite like the Italian fizzy water. Didn't realise it was over a fiver a pint though!
    A Youngs pub maybe but not Youngs beers sadly.
    Youngs ceased brewing beer years ago.
  • Options

I had my Stag Night in the Founders Arms. In those days you went for a pint with the lads, rather than 3 days in some foreign lands getting pissed and possibly picking up a nasty infection.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Boom said:

Yep still a youngs pub.

A Youngs pub maybe but not Youngs beers sadly.
    Youngs ceased brewing beer years ago.
    I know they did. Doesn't bother me either way as only drink the fizzy muck.
  • Options
    Boom said:

Yep still a youngs pub.

That's because you didn't put your hand in your pocket all night!