Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rhoys Wiggins (pg.12 - retires from football)

Comments

• Sorry to see him go as its another one from that heroic team out the door but i rate Fox and with other signings i can understand why we are willing to let him leave.
  • My comments & match ratings from last season are peppered with disappointment that Wiggins had lost his way, no confidence whatsoever bombing forward (for obvious reason), ok defensively but not infallible (being done over in the Wigan home match, for example). Hence I'm not too upset he's being moved on...and as others have pointed out 750k is not bad at all
  • edited July 2015
    cafctom said:

Doesn't make sense to me at all. We're trying to build a squad, why sell one of the more consistent players to a direct competitor?

He's no longer consistently good; that's the problem. Really lost his way after the infamous night when Zaha tore him apart and he went off injured. Shame.
  • Sad to see this guy go, but he seems to have suffered from injuries. I don't want to see him go, as on his day he is one of our better players, but last season he had far too few good games. Plus there appears to be some sort of clash of personalities with Luzón, and when that happens, the usual conclusión is the player moves on.
    Sad but we have to move on.
  • Rhoys is a talented player for sure but does seem to have glass feet.

If, sods law from our selfish viewpoint, he does go and stays fit then whoever gets him will have a real bargain at £750K if that is the price.
  • Think Fox is going to have a strong season this year so selling on an injury prone LB when we have two others is sensible business. Big fan of Rhoys though so I'll miss him. Always felt confident with his name on the team sheet and I'll never forget that challenge on Jordan Rhodes at the end of the game at The Valley when we broke their record. Great player

What? You're telling me their records been broken?
  • One of my favourite players of recent years, and a great joy to watch him attacking down the left with Jacko in their heyday. But, he has lost pace and we can't carry constantly injured players on our small payroll, so ok if it's time for a parting of the ways. Will always be a fan and wish him well though, even for the massives.
  • I'm sorry to see him go because I think he's a better player than Fox but if we can get 750k that's pretty good business.

This is exactly how I feel about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Keep telling myself that Bergdich was signed to play left mid... so there is still room for him in the squad! It's a shame he's off as we all know if he could go the majority of the season injury free then he would be a top class player! Injuries just affect his consistency!
  • cafctom said:

Think some are going a little overboard about how disposable he is. He hasn't 'lost his way' at all - he's just not as threatening going forward as he was 3-4 years ago in League One. In the last couple of years he has been by no means a bad player when fit, just doesn't stand out as much as he used to.

He hasn't lost his way ? But he's not as threatening, going forward, as he was 3-4 years ago in League 1.
    He is by no means a bad player when fit (which isn't that often (fully fit).
    He doesn't stand out as much as he did in League 1.

Everything you say, suggests he had "lost his way" at Charlton.

You agree with everyone else, but interpret the facts differently.
  • I think he has been held back by some of our recent managers and told not to get forward as often as he always used to (when we were bombing League 1 for instance). When he does lose that attacking edge, his passing (from the back) has been very poor at times. So with poor distribution and no forward threat, he is not the same player. Give him licence to go forward again, and he may yet regain his mojo! Good luck if you go Rhoys, and happy times if you stay too!
  • Failed medical.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Failed medical.

Has he? Where you see/hear that?
  • You little tease..
  • Sponsored links:

• cafctom said:

Think some are going a little overboard about how disposable he is. He hasn't 'lost his way' at all - he's just not as threatening going forward as he was 3-4 years ago in League One. In the last couple of years he has been by no means a bad player when fit, just doesn't stand out as much as he used to.

He hasn't lost his way ? But he's not as threatening, going forward, as he was 3-4 years ago in League 1.
    He is by no means a bad player when fit (which isn't that often (fully fit).
    He doesn't stand out as much as he did in League 1.

Everything you say, suggests he had "lost his way" at Charlton.

You agree with everyone else, but interpret the facts differently.
    No. Saying a player has 'lost their way' to me suggests that they have declined dramatically and is a negative for the team. Neither of those are the truth for Wiggins in my opinion. Whereas he was regularly a 7.5-8/10 each match for us in the past, he may now be more like a 6-7/10 each match. Certainly not a case of 'lost his way'.
  • Sounds like we all have different definitions of what "lost his way" means, as that's exactly the way I see the situation also.
  • I'd say he found his way, very consistently... to the medical room.

Truth is he was very good and now he is average. In my humble opinion he is still better than Fox, but that's another Waggy/Green esque debate for another time.
  • Would imagine the fee will be undisclosed....
  • RD is very much from the risk/reward school of Chairmen. The risk is that his injury woes continue as against the reward that he might find the form that made him once amongst the best full backs in the League. With Solly potentially facing the same issues it really is a "no brainer" to take the reputed amount on offer.

Wiggins will also never be a regular match changer or have the same impact as that Cantona like Frenchman that once played up top for us. Let's hope we utilise the Wiggins money well.
  • So when does Henderson leave because he's injury prone ?

When he stops hitting the standard of when he's fully fit Ala Rhoys Wiggins

If he's injured a lot this season, probably July 2016.
  • I am sure that the club are disappointing that he did not kick on, he was the first player that KM gave a contract to and then it was 4 years.
  • irony is that he first got injured playing against his old club ..the nigellas