Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rhoys Wiggins (pg.12 - retires from football)

Comments

• Options
    I seem to remember that initial reservations about GL included perceived arrogance and falling out with players.
  • Options

I know I will get abuse but I would rather keep Wiggins than Luzon.

I would
  • Options
    There's a lot of left backs out there just as good and better, and they wouldn't cost the earth to get in either
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

There's a lot of left backs out there just as good and better, and they wouldn't cost the earth to get in either

This isn't meant in a provocative sense, who is better than Rhoys Wiggins and cheap?
  • Options
    Surely he'd be good backup for Mings if Bournemouth wanted him back and I doubt his wages would be huge now they get all the sky money. Hope we can keep him though.
  • Options
    Often, teams would focus their attacking efforts down his flank and to good effect. 

You must have been to different matches to me. Even half fit Wiggins did not let crosses go into the box. I'm not talking none per game, but a dozen games on the trot before someone got lucky. He is a Prem FB.
  • Options
    I would like to think that Luzon/Wiggins thing is wrong. Possibly a one off thing?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Thought Luzon looked a very good judge of talent but perhaps not so in this case (could see it differently in training - Fox may have more desire and I'm not surprised with this news...), attacking wise on a match day good or bad day for him Wiggins brings more to the table than Fox and preventing crosses and key chances Wiggins will be winning on that too. Fox has more to learn and is a lot younger, of course, but to treat him like that regardless of a clash of personalities is very very low. Luzon needs to be the bigger man, rise above it and treat all players with the same respect. Big Bob P lost the changing room soon after being heard chatting some not so nice words in Dutch about the players.. Luzon needs to keep his manners about him.
  • Options

Wiggins was fantastic in League One but there is no doubt that his injuries over the last two or three years have diminished his contributions in both halves of the pitch. Last season in his 21 appearances, Wiggins only contributed one assist. Often, teams would focus their attacking efforts down his flank and to good effect.

I think too many people are holding onto a false hope that he will somehow regain two yards of pace and be Rhoys Wiggins circa 2012.

Just to add, and I hate to say this, but that one assist against the Wendies was actually ment to be a shot he said in the interview, it just happened to find its way to Igor. Take a look at those highlights, if that was a shot then he must have seen an imaginary goal on the touch line
  • Options
    Ok IF the leftback thing is real maybe Luzon did it in a good way. When Wiggins was injured he could have started it to say yes you are our leftback when you are 100% fit.

Me naive, never...... :smirk:
  • Options
    Exactly what Steve says. Shame, as has potential to be an excellent player
  • Options

Exactly what Steve says. Shame, as has potential to be an excellent player

Sadly it's a case of 'had' rather than 'has' potential. Pure bad luck through injuries, but there's no doubt that he's lost his mojo, especially going forward.
  • Options
    agree with Steve, never been the same since that injury in the Palace game, I'm not a fan of Fox either to be honest and would like to see us sign another LB along with RB cover for Solly
  • Options
    If we're aiming to push for promotion then neither are good enough tbh, Fox is very young and can improve but I don't think he'd make it to the prem. If Wiggins had never got injured he would probably have got a move to a prem team by now, but since the injury he's been a pretty poor championship left back imo.
  • Options
    Disagree about Fox not being good enough. The truth is he developed a lot last and quickly last season so how can anybody know what the end point will be for him? Wiggins was never the best defender but his pace got him out of jail and he was great offensively. Injuries seem to have robbed him of some of that pace and for me is the big issue. The question is whether he will get it back and the answer should determine whether we keep him or not!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Wiggins still has the pace, but his feet are so delicate that his passing has been awful since the original injury; he just doesn't seem able to kick the ball without pain? And it is often his poor passing that gets him into trouble, rather than lack of pace or defensive ability.
  • Options

Disagree about Fox not being good enough. The truth is he developed a lot last and quickly last season so how can anybody know what the end point will be for him? Wiggins was never the best defender but his pace got him out of jail and he was great offensively. Injuries seem to have robbed him of some of that pace and for me is the big issue. The question is whether he will get it back and the answer should determine whether we keep him or not!

Do you not see his lack of pace and dribbling ability limiting how far he can go?

I can see how he could be a good solid Championship player but not sure I see the potential to play that much higher in the way players like Cousins and Poyet could.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Do you not see his lack of pace and dribbling ability limiting how far he can go?

I can see how he could be a good solid Championship player but not sure I see the potential to play that much higher in the way players like Cousins and Poyet could.
    I think Fox will surprise a lot of people. At the start of his time in the squad people were claiming he was completely useless. Someone even said he'd turned in the worst performance by a left back ever (in a 0-0 draw..). Fast forward to a few months later and Fox kept his place ahead of Wiggins and no-one could complain about it due to his form. Who would honestly have said when Fox first came into the team that he'd keep even half-fit Wiggins out of the side? No-one, but unfortunately for Fox the goodwill over his great form towards the end of the season has evaporated recently. What I'm basically saying is that Fox seems to be a player who disguises his potential pretty well. I reckon if he got the number 3 shirt and all season in the side by the end he might be fantastic. Or he might get shown up a bit, it's really hard to tell with him. I wouldn't guess at where his limits are though
  • Options

to be fair Wiggins hasn't been fit for nearly 3 seasons as he got injured at the start of the season against Palace, don't think I would notice if he wasn't here, imho I feel when he has got back in the team he has been a bit of a let down, a real shame as the season we got promoted he was superb.

Agree. Not the player he was since breaking his foot. Also Wiggins does not have enough fighting spirit. If he is having a torrid time with a right winger and has been done a couple of times his head drops. Not good enough defensively.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

I think Fox will have a breakthrough season.
    He's returned in good shape judging by the record he almost took off Cousins. He's growing mentally and I just think he will surprise the doubters this season.

I hope so. As one of his doubters early last season following some appalling displays, I was so pleased he proved me wrong and improved immensely throughout the season.
    I really hope he can go to the next level, this will be a defining season for Fox.
  • Options
    Have always preferred Wiggins to Fox,
    sadly one of the few left from the League 1 winning season!
  • Options
    If Wiggins is fit, then no doubt I am happy to go into a season with him and Fox competing for the spot. However, if he's not, I don't want Fox to be first choice with no competition so wouldn't mind getting rid of Wiggins and signing one of the two linked - Daniels from Bournemouth or Hoban from Watford.
  • Options
    A fully fit Wiggins when on his game is top class. I haven't seen that player for at least two seasons. A real shame. I thought two seasons ago that he was in a minority of our players that could command a fee but I think that's long gone.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Swisdom said:

I think Fox will have a breakthrough season.
    He's returned in good shape judging by the record he almost took off Cousins. He's growing mentally and I just think he will surprise the doubters this season.

I hope so. As one of his doubters early last season following some appalling displays, I was so pleased he proved me wrong and improved immensely throughout the season.
    I really hope he can go to the next level, this will be a defining season for Fox.
    Well played, you obviously don't sit near me as the opinions of those who do doesn't change. If a player isn't rated then he will stay not rated, even if his form earned him a move the Chelsea.