Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Varney, Kavanagh, and Everitt! (Page 13: Note from Rick Everitt)

Comments

• Options

Think it's time for a brandy PA ; )

Haven't you heard? The Czechs have imposed prohibition on all alcohol over 20% after 22 people died last week of methyl-alcohol poisoning.
    Seriously? Shit, going from bad to worse.

*shakes head resignedly*
  • Options

Think it's time for a brandy PA ; )

Haven't you heard? The Czechs have imposed prohibition on all alcohol over 20% after 22 people died last week of methyl-alcohol poisoning.
    Really ? That must seriously limit your hydration options as the last time I was in Prague I'm sure even the orange juice was over 20% !
  • Options

Bangkok Dave

Well I'm glad to hear of your strong family roots with Charlton, maybe your Dad and my Dad are neighbours on the brick wall at the Valley.

But in that case I am puzzled as to why you are one of the small but vocal group on here who have in the last few months thought to belittle every post of those like me who seek to raise concerns about the way the club is currently being run.

And I'm sorry to say that I find your posts equally condescending when you continually tell us that we should shut up because this is a business. You think nobody here knows that? You think nobody here is in business?? Well I am, and I have more than once tried to engage you on the specific aspects of the club and football generally as a business. So I'll try again. What exactly is this "new structure" they are putting in, how do you believe it will increase revenue for the club? If the previous regime was so useless off the pitch, how come our average gates are above those of Palace and Millwall despite the indignities of the last 5 years on the pitch? What previous success in football do the new owners have that suggests to you that their "new structure", whatever it is, is something proven to work better than the one they are replacing?

If you are a businessman, then lets have a proper debate here about the business strategy of our club, just as we all have debates about tactics on the pitch. And if you are not yourself a businessman, please be aware that you are going to upset people like myself by telling us that "it's a business, now move along", when some of us have spent the last 20 years endeavouring to understand both Charlton and football generally as a business - in my case with the advantage of a 'day job' which has been working either for or with some of the best businesses in the world, and thus having an idea what a decent business strategy looks like, and an insight into the importance of people in actually implementing a strategy.

Sorry, that has been a rant, but I am getting really, really exasperated.

A business that was run so well in previous seasons that we had to go cap in hand to 'this lot' to get us out of the sh*t pit we got ourselves in.

I agree with a lot of what you say Prague but you seem to have forgotten why the likes of Jimenez are here in the first place.

I don't like the look of 'em one bit,but they payed their money (allegedly) ...
    Carly

A fair point, but I assure you I have not forgotten it. How could I, having recently read David Conn's book, written in 2004 which describes Charlton as "one of the few clubs generally regarded to be run excellently" and has a two page interview with RM which is heartbreaking to read now.

The specific point here is whether these three are leaving because they carry responsibility for the failures off the field since then (as Bangkok Dave implies). Given what I said above about our attendances, blaming Rick that they are not even higher makes about as much sense as blaming the failure to fix the West Stand potholes on Leon Clarke

• Options
    edited September 2012
    ....almost as ridiculous as saying we have been a, 'well run club', since Curbs left.
  • Options

What I do believe we should acknowledge from this though, is that something nasty "could" be lurking in the woodpile. Something that Peter Varney, Steve Kavanagh and now Rick were not prepared to deal with.

And what we should be asking is, where & when will this all end ?

Sensible question. I'm finding it hard to imagine how the new owners can have a plan that is both good for the club and still can't keep even one of those three on board.
  • Options
    My biggest concern in all this is if we have a bad run of results and the current puppeteers decide to get rid of CP and install Denis the Menace as manager. I fear then my 50 and a half years love affair with CAFC might then, well and truly be over.
  • Options

My biggest concern in all this is if we have a bad run of results and the current puppeteers decide to get rid of CP and install Denis the Menace as manager. I fear then my 50 and a half years love affair with CAFC might then, well and truly be over.

I worry too - however several people have reported hearing that Wise is suing Jiminez over something, so maybe that particular horror is less likely.

• Options

Please, don't even go there :(
  • Options
    I worry too - however several people have reported hearing that Wise is suing Jiminez over something, so maybe that particular horror is less likely.

Thanks Prague, I'll sleep better tonight now.
  • Options

Just hoping DW is also NOT appointed to the boardroom , in the Management structure reshuffle.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Nothing would surprise me at Charlton.
  • Options
    It's sad that it needs to go this something like this to happen before people start to realise all is not well at the moment.

Despite the fact I think ive only actually met Rick once to my knowledge and am too young to have been involved or have attended any of the Back To The Valley things I wish Rick all the best and for Charltons sake and I really hope, no more are shown the door after 'Computergate'.
  • Options
    .End of the 'Cockney Mafia'
    A High court writ issued by Dennis Wise against Tony Jimenez signals the break-up of the close football relationship between the pair who were dubbed the 'Cockney Mafia' during their unpopular partnership at Newcastle.
    Wise is claiming £616,000 in alleged monies owed from property developer Jimenez over an investment in French golf resort Les Bordes outside Paris.
    Jimenez, in turn, is understood to be counter-suing over a property deal in Cyprus and an action connected to their time at Newcastle.
    The influence of Jimenez and Wise on player recruitment during their time at Newcastle led to club icon Kevin Keegan quitting. Jimenez, now co-owner of League One leaders Charlton, had been widely expected to appoint Wise as manager at The Valley but did not.
    There are conflicting views from the two camps as to whether Wise turned down the post or was overlooked.

Daily Mail on line March 2012
  • Options
    If Airman is, indeed, now out of the club, it is a tremendous shame, as he is a top Charlton man.

For their part, the current owners (whoever they are ) probably won't have been best pleased with his post back in July. Coming from someone of Airman's standing within the supporter base, it was bound to - and indeed did - prompt speculation, which they would have regarded as unhelpful, particularly if they were attempting to plug a funding gap. In addition, given that the owners are hoping to move on within the next 18 months to 2 years, they are likely to be particularly sensitive about issues of confidentiality going forward. In saying that, of course, there may well have been other differences which have led to a parting of the ways.

Alas, the halcyon days of Richard Murray's stewardship are no more. We were not, however, spoilt for choice in terms of prospective purchasers when he needed to step aside and the reality, I think, is that we are not going to see a culture of openness from those who now own and run the club.
  • Options
    What slightly concerns me is the current void in the club, as Protheroe isn't the day to day admin management person, but rather someone taking an overview of the club (which is probably needed).

With SK and PV gone, who's doing this role at the moment, are MS and TJ taking a more hands on role at the moment if Powell wants to sign a loan player, or Paddy needs to buy a new lawnmower?
  • Options
    I have had TWO dreams now in the last 2 months about Wise being the Charlton Manager :-(
  • Options
    Having read through this thread it seems that people are convinced Rick's departure is down to comments made on Charlton Life. From what I can see there is as yet no evidence of this. We don't know why Rick has gone so why the speculation?

Like many above my concern is the lack of transparency that now exists in a club that was once considered the best run club in the Premier League. We don't even know the management structure right now, communication at all levels between fans and the football club is at its worst since just before the move to Selhurst.

Yes, a football club is a business and needs to be run as such, but we fans are the customers and if you don't keep the customer satisfied then that's a recipe for disaster.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Having read through this thread it seems that people are convinced Rick's departure is down to comments made on Charlton Life. From what I can see there is as yet no evidence of this. We don't know why Rick has gone so why the speculation?

Like many above my concern is the lack of transparency that now exists in a club that was once considered the best run club in the Premier League. We don't even know the management structure right now, communication at all levels between fans and the football club is at its worst since just before the move to Selhurst.

Yes, a football club is a business and needs to be run as such, but we fans are the customers and if you don't keep the customer satisfied then that's a recipe for disaster.

Tough to imagine that a post or posts here would be the basis for a move, but no benefit from speculating.

Agree completely with your points here.

Yes, this may be a business, but a football club is a business dependent, first and foremost, upon thousands of people giving up their time and treasure to support the enterprise.

Besides the blow to the institution, Airman -- at least on this site -- provided comfort to supporters that all trials would be weathered and the club would persevere.

No way to read this development other than very troubling.
  • Options
    RobRob
    edited September 2012
    Just speculation this but suppose the Board, knowing that Rick posted on here, asked him to stop and he refused. Just suppose he was then given an ultimatum to stop or be sacked and he still refused so he was sacked. Seems draconian I know but it would make sense if the Board just want more 'control'. It would also make sense as the excuse to sack him.

Just speculation of course but maybe if the Board just didn't feel comfortable with someone so close to the workings of cafc posting on a forum like this. I never saw Rick post anything derogatory about the board or its dealings but maybe they felt he knows a few people on here and things could be said amongst 'friends' which could influence what ended up on the site. I've got no real knowledge if Rick is close to anyone who posts on here but you could understand the Board being concerned about that. It would make sense if the new Board just want to keep things closer to their chest (that doesn't mean they're negative things either so don't read anything into that). Like I said, just speculation.
  • Options
    I know this may be hard for some of you on here to believe, but Charlton Life isn't the centre of the universe as far as Charlton Athletic Football Club is concerned so maybe, just maybe, it has nothing to do with anything posted on here.

Odds are it is far more likely something that has happened during the day to day running of the club. It doesn't appear to be a perceived misconduct offense otherwise he'd be out of the building already and not serving a period of notice. It seems to me he's more being 'let go' than sacked. That may not change the long term implications of him leaving his post but there are a few slightly hysterical posts doing the rounds, again, off the back of this idea he's been unceremoniously fired.

The board have said there is a planned restructuring underway and Prothero would be advising on it. This could just be another part of that and we'll have to wait and see who fills some of these empty seats before we can draw too many conclusions on the wisdom of the dismissals. It seems to be being taken as proven fact by some that this is all part of some evil master plan but as far as I can tell there is nothing more than gut feeling driving this idea that something sinister is afoot because, as yet, there is basically zero evidence the board aren't trying to run the club properly. Good club men as these three all were, none of them are irreplacable from a professional perspective even if the new guys aren't CAFC fans. As others have said there were plenty of downs to go with the ups during the previous regimes reign. That's not to say these guys won't be losses to the organization, and I have respect and thanks for all their hard work, but people move on from businesses all the time and the businesses go on just fine without them.

By all means ask pertinent questions of any accessible people in high places to assure yourselves things are okay but try and keep it perspective. Talk of Powell being next and giving in supporting the club all seems a but premature and melodramatic as does the portrayal of the current owners as some tyrannical regime intent on bleeding the club dry before disappearing into the sunset leaving a burning wreck of a stadium behind them.

Okay we didn't spend millions in the summer, but was that ever promised? The youth system has continued to be expanded, bids for players have been turned down, the Valley has been tarted up a bit and signings have still been made. Apart from moving on a few well liked club employees,. I don't see anything in the current boards CV that suggests they're not trying to run the club properly, and that includes not spending money we don't have on players, whatever the reason for the current budget is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Never let the absence of facts get in the way of a good story.
  • Options

I know this may be hard for some of you on here to believe, but Charlton Life isn't the centre of the universe as far as Charlton Athletic Football Club is concerned so maybe, just maybe, it has nothing to do with anything posted on here.

Odds are it is far more likely something that has happened during the day to day running of the club. It doesn't appear to be a perceived misconduct offense otherwise he'd be out of the building already and not serving a period of notice. It seems to me he's more being 'let go' than sacked. That may not change the long term implications of him leaving his post but there are a few slightly hysterical posts doing the rounds, again, off the back of this idea he's been unceremoniously fired.

The board have said there is a planned restructuring underway and Prothero would be advising on it. This could just be another part of that and we'll have to wait and see who fills some of these empty seats before we can draw too many conclusions on the wisdom of the dismissals. It seems to be being taken as proven fact by some that this is all part of some evil master plan but as far as I can tell there is nothing more than gut feeling driving this idea that something sinister is afoot because, as yet, there is basically zero evidence the board aren't trying to run the club properly. Good club men as these three all were, none of them are irreplacable from a professional perspective even if the new guys aren't CAFC fans. As others have said there were plenty of downs to go with the ups during the previous regimes reign. That's not to say these guys won't be losses to the organization, and I have respect and thanks for all their hard work, but people move on from businesses all the time and the businesses go on just fine without them.

By all means ask pertinent questions of any accessible people in high places to assure yourselves things are okay but try and keep it perspective. Talk of Powell being next and giving in supporting the club all seems a but premature and melodramatic as does the portrayal of the current owners as some tyrannical regime intent on bleeding the club dry before disappearing into the sunset leaving a burning wreck of a stadium behind them.

Okay we didn't spend millions in the summer, but was that ever promised? The youth system has continued to be expanded, bids for players have been turned down, the Valley has been tarted up a bit and signings have still been made. Apart from moving on a few well liked club employees,. I don't see anything in the current boards CV that suggests they're not trying to run the club properly, and that includes not spending money we don't have on players, whatever the reason for the current budget is.

Good post and I was thinking the same myself. Except, I would imagine that there are people here who know Airman well and would probably be fully aware of the circumstances surrounding his departure, even though they are unable or unwilling to divulge such details at this stage, and rightly so.
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

It's sad that it needs to go this something like this to happen before people start to realise all is not well at the moment.

Despite the fact I think ive only actually met Rick once to my knowledge and am too young to have been involved or have attended any of the Back To The Valley things I wish Rick all the best and for Charltons sake and I really hope, no more are shown the door after 'Computergate'.

So, has RE been shown the exit door for inappropriate use of a company computer? This would be considered gross misconduct where I work.
  • Options
    No one person is ever bigger than the club. Applies to players, managers, coaching staff and believe it or not admin/day-to-day management.
    Prothero's background is in marketing, RE if I am correct was the marketing manager of the club. Maybe he has contacts that he feels can do a better job. End of.
  • Options
    Good post, Exiledaddick.

Shame there aren't LIKE buttons.
  • Options
    If it is "moving on" i have no issues with it. The problem it looks like we are FALLING BACK.

Huge missed opertunerty to have a real go in this league. Unless there is a master plan which is hidden from view and not a slash and burn to scrape by------which it looks like.

Was looking forward to this season----now only a few weeks in and f++ked off withit already.
  • Options
    By all means ask pertinent questions of any accessible people in high places to assure yourselves things are okay but try and keep it perspective... exiled addick
    But that is one of the main points that leads to all this speculation rumour and hearsay......
    Since when have any of the new board members, had an open door policy to inform the fans, except on CP's appointment. I am not expecting a weekly face the face with the fans, but what is so wrong with transparency, and speaking to your customers as the previous board regularly did, via supporters groups and such. In fact we have no real idea of why the airman left, what the circumstances were, and as yet no mention on the Charlton website....
    I in fact tried to speak to Airman last week on purchasing a Charlton ticket scheme for my football club, ( other's may remember the posting) *he was unavailable to speak to me..... this was probably one of his last posts as I mentioned palace were offering a discount to football clubs.
    The airman posted this was a copy of Charlton's idea, and could even provide coach hire, to my enquiry, on this very site?
    * The club did contact me but not Rick, as i had phoned him to discuss this.
  • Options

Bangkok Dave

Well I'm glad to hear of your strong family roots with Charlton, maybe your Dad and my Dad are neighbours on the brick wall at the Valley.

But in that case I am puzzled as to why you are one of the small but vocal group on here who have in the last few months thought to belittle every post of those like me who seek to raise concerns about the way the club is currently being run.

And I'm sorry to say that I find your posts equally condescending when you continually tell us that we should shut up because this is a business. You think nobody here knows that? You think nobody here is in business?? Well I am, and I have more than once tried to engage you on the specific aspects of the club and football generally as a business. So I'll try again. What exactly is this "new structure" they are putting in, how do you believe it will increase revenue for the club? If the previous regime was so useless off the pitch, how come our average gates are above those of Palace and Millwall despite the indignities of the last 5 years on the pitch? What previous success in football do the new owners have that suggests to you that their "new structure", whatever it is, is something proven to work better than the one they are replacing?

If you are a businessman, then lets have a proper debate here about the business strategy of our club, just as we all have debates about tactics on the pitch. And if you are not yourself a businessman, please be aware that you are going to upset people like myself by telling us that "it's a business, now move along", when some of us have spent the last 20 years endeavouring to understand both Charlton and football generally as a business - in my case with the advantage of a 'day job' which has been working either for or with some of the best businesses in the world, and thus having an idea what a decent business strategy looks like, and an insight into the importance of people in actually implementing a strategy.

Sorry, that has been a rant, but I am getting really, really exasperated.

PA - I've never told you to shut up, I have put across a different opinion to your that is all. So lets be careful with the words we write. I'm also not convinced that I am in the minority on here or in the Charlton community as a whole. I've got little to back that up, but my feeling it that those who are predicting the worst may be out of sink with the majority. A hard one to really come to a solid conclusion on.

I think if you and others were merely raising concerns then that is ok, but often it goes into the field of rumours, statements based without any substantial fact and predictions of doom. It is the judgement that everything that is happening is bad that I do not understand. And the linking, not by yourself, but by others from one scenario to another worse one is too much sometimes (Airman goes so Powell will to).

My family has a long history of supporting the club and as mentioned they have their roots just 5 minutes from the ground - but that does not make me bound by history. I am aware of our clubs history but I am also aware of the need for our club to have a future - and just a couple of years ago that was very much in doubt.

You ask me about structures of the club. I don't know. Does it look to me like there is a plan, yes. Money invested in the academy. A reorganisation of the board and management. None of this seems haphazard to me and is backed up by statements from the club itself. We were told there was an internal review of the way the club was managed going on, so why are we surprised that that results in people moving on? And then we get to the real point. It is the people moving on that is causing the concern - but why? As a businessman you want the best resource in the best position for your company to flourish. Maybe the review has found the best people were not in the correct positions. Just because someone has a job does not mean they should always keep it. My Dad worked for Shell for 25 years, but when he was not needed any more they moved him on. Why? because there were now better people for the role he had and that role was also being merged with another role in a management restructure. Should Charlton be any different? I'm not saying Airman, Steve K and Varney were not the best but just maybe it is a possibility.

I for one have never said the previous board were useless and again I think you need to be careful of your implication that I have. What I have said and will continue to say is that while the RM and Varney days were responsible for the rise and security of the Prem for those few years, they were also to blame for much of the mess that followed. If you want to credit them with the success you also have to admit to their failings.

Maybe your points about Palace and Millwall need to be directed to their boards - why didn't they take advantage of our slump? Is it because of what Charlton did or what they didn't? I would suggest a little of both.

I believe that the experience element of what you wrote is important, but again I'd flip that around. The experienced club owners we had, who had been in place for a long time were there at a time when the club was almost brought to its knees. Why could they not solve the problems using their experience? Because as a businessman you'll know it doesn't work like that all of the time. Sometimes you need a 'fresh' pair of eyes on a situation, a new idea, a new way of doing things or new investment.

However that is all rationale to me, but not to you, and that is ok. We have different views, maybe a different idea of what Charlton is and can be.

I admire your passion PA, your caring for our club is obvious. I just look at things differently and that is ok too.
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Good post, Exiledaddick.

Shame there aren't LIKE buttons.

Agree some good points especially about CL not being the be all and end all but there are no accessible people in senior positions to ask questions of.

Kavanagh's departure was barely mentioned and no reason or thanks given. Compare the coverage of the CEO going with that of the Women's team manager, a team the Club doesn't even run. Yes that manager was a famous ex-player but quotes, pictures, full article on website.

No one person is ever bigger than the club. Applies to players, managers, coaching staff and believe it or not admin/day-to-day management.
    Prothero's background is in marketing, RE if I am correct was the marketing manager of the club. Maybe he has contacts that he feels can do a better job. End of.

In which case the Club will openly say "we have replaced Rick. he leaves with our best wishes and thanks as well as a suitable payment."

Only they won't.

Partly because RE wasn't the marketing manager. His role is or was Club development and ticketing.

• Options
    rikofold said:

Very sad news as rick is a charlton legend

Interested what the gross misconduct is for assume relating to the tales of our financial woe on this site?

If that is the case, well Rick can have this as evidence for the case against:

I would be pleased to call Rick a friend, but we are hardly in contact, due to my location and infrequent visits. I can tell you exactly when and from whom I learnt on CL that there were problems. I was sitting in a cellar of a Stockholm pub morosely checking CL at half time of the England-Italy grimness. I started reading comments from Plaaayer. I don't know Plaaayer from Adam, but I always enjoyed his posts which were almost exclusively wisecracks. Suddenly he was writing that we are in the shit. He was like the actor on stage whose supporting role has had a heart attack and the audience still think its part of the act. I just knew insitnctively this wasn't just gossip. There were several other people here, who like Plaaayer didn't in the past comment on the business side, who also clearly had credible info.

It's a people business. If there are serious issues in the business, they will get out and the internet simply spreads the news faster. If they think that by trumping up some charge against Rick everything will go quiet and we will concentrate on trashing various players and the manager's tactics, like we prols should do, they are seriously mistaken.

The sort of post that leaves me grasping for the 'like' button that isn't there.
    A "LIKE" button would be good, I personally don't know Rick, but do know people that do know him and speak very highly of him, his book 'Battle for The Valley' is a must read for any Charlton fan, sad news indeed concerning his departure from CAFC.