Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lawrie Wilson

1235»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2012
    on the night I thought he was below average. got extremely pissed off with him when he had that shot near the end.
    since then i have watched a bit of the game which i tapped on sky, (some sort of sick self punishment) he actually did better than i thought. He was no way our worst player. He delivered some good crosses and he improved when green came on. overall he was ok and i reckon he will play well tonight.
    shows how different it can be watching it afterwards, away from the atmosphere, away from the tension and away from those palarse fans. You see it in a more calm way on tv and especially if you already know the result. You can be fairer on players and not just remember them for their face in hands moments. being against palace you get angry at almost any mistake whereas against forest (game before) i could give a fair appraisal of what the players did or didn’t do. heat of the moment stuff, and if wilson is reading this i apologise for calling you a “Tosser”, but please try and remember when to have a shot and when not to.
  • Options
    I posted in the post match thread that Wilson was OK going forward but defensively he was bad v Palace, I stand by that. He made defensive errors that I would not expect a footballer at this level to make. His primary role is to defend and he was not very good and did not fill me with confidence. I dont see him as a 'whipping boy' or 'scapegoat' like Francis was perceived, Francis was awful and deserved all the criticism he got, most including me gave Francis plenty of time, but we all saw him for what he was in the end. Wilson may play a blinder next time he plays, I hope he does, I really do. But I can only base my opinion on what I saw, in the same way that I think JJ should be dropped because of his poor performances this season, its not personal, its an opinion on someones performance and Wilsons was poor defensively last Friday.
  • Options
    A very valid point from Karim regarding being sucked in by the moment. When things aren't going your (teams) way, all we seem to see out there are the negatives.
  • Options

on the night I thought he was below average. got extremely pissed off with him when he had that shot near the end.
    since then i have watched a bit of the game which i tapped on sky, (some sort of sick self punishment) he actually did better than i thought. He was no way our worst player. He delivered some good crosses and he improved when green came on. overall he was ok and i reckon he will play well tonight.
    shows how different it can be watching it afterwards, away from the atmosphere, away from the tension and away from those palarse fans. You see it in a more calm way on tv and especially if you already know the result. You can be fairer on players and not just remember them for their face in hands moments. being against palace you get angry at almost any mistake whereas against forest (game before) i could give a fair appraisal of what the players did or didn’t do. heat of the moment stuff, and if wilson is reading this i apologise for calling you a “Tosser”, but please try and remember when to have a shot and when not to.

Nice one Karim.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

I posted in the post match thread that Wilson was OK going forward but defensively he was bad v Palace, I stand by that. He made defensive errors that I would not expect a footballer at this level to make. His primary role is to defend and he was not very good and did not fill me with confidence. I dont see him as a 'whipping boy' or 'scapegoat' like Francis was perceived, Francis was awful and deserved all the criticism he got, most including me gave Francis plenty of time, but we all saw him for what he was in the end. Wilson may play a blinder next time he plays, I hope he does, I really do. But I can only base my opinion on what I saw, in the same way that I think JJ should be dropped because of his poor performances this season, its not personal, its an opinion on someones performance and Wilsons was poor defensively last Friday.

In fairness to him he won't come up against many better wingers in this division than Zaha and the other one whose name I forget was pretty quick and direct also. Not to mention that he had absolutely no support whatsoever from Pritchard; it looked to me like Wilson was taking on two or three Palace at a time more than once. As soon as Green came on and started taking the game to the oppo, forcing them to back off a bit, Wilson looked better as most will agree. I doubt this is coincidence.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

Greenie said:

In fairness to him he won't come up against many better wingers in this division than Zaha and the other one whose name I forget was pretty quick and direct also. Not to mention that he had absolutely no support whatsoever from Pritchard; it looked to me like Wilson was taking on two or three Palace at a time more than once. As soon as Green came on and started taking the game to the oppo, forcing them to back off a bit, Wilson looked better as most will agree. I doubt this is coincidence.
    Fair points Newbie, like I say he may have a cracker next time and then I will judge him on that! I hope that my first impressions are wrong! We shall see.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

thenewbie said:

Greenie said:

Fair points Newbie, like I say he may have a cracker next time and then I will judge him on that! I hope that my first impressions are wrong! We shall see.
    What is football about if not opinions? If he comes up against some aging plodder has-been of a winger and has Green/Wagstaff/A.N Other 'proper' winger ahead of him and he STILL looks a bit defensively vulnerable then yeah I will also be concerned. I'm just not jumping to conclusions based on what would be probably one of the harder games he will face in his Charlton career.
  • Options
    At least we know if Solly is off in January we have a worthy replacement and money can be spent on a centre mid and striker.
  • Options
    Twitter reporting he may make the team for Sat.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

madadd said:

Wiggins likely to be out for a few games now

I think Wiggins is a bottler...that time he went off injured he stopped with a pain in his hammer then the pain must of changed places about 3 times before he settled on the foot...watched it on sky as im overseas but to me just looked like he new he was going to be raped all night long by zaha, so got out of it early!!!

Good call lol

• Options
    CHG said:

I'd have him back in. Can see a midfield of Wilson Pritch Frimpong Jackson Kerkar with Kermy up top
  • Options

CHG said:

I'd have him back in. Can see a midfield of Wilson Pritch Frimpong Jackson Kerkar with Kermy up top
    Done!

• Options

CHG said:

Id have that all day if we have no Haynes
  • Options

CHG said:

Yeah that would work with Green as an impact sub if we are chasing.

• Options
    Nicholas said:

madadd said:

I think Wiggins is a bottler...that time he went off injured he stopped with a pain in his hammer then the pain must of changed places about 3 times before he settled on the foot...watched it on sky as im overseas but to me just looked like he new he was going to be raped all night long by zaha, so got out of it early!!!

Good call lol

That remains my favourite quote on CL. Was it two or three metatarsals Wiggins broke? It's going to take a hell of a comment to beat this fine work.
  • Options

CHG said:

No room for Stephens then?
  • Options
    Fuller could be available too...
  • Options

Nicholas said:

madadd said:

Good call lol

That remains my favourite quote on CL. Was it two or three metatarsals Wiggins broke? It's going to take a hell of a comment to beat this fine work.
    I'm sure it was 3, Now my favourite quote too lol

• Options
    I really started to rate Wilson before his injury but I wouldnt start him sat for two reasons. 1 - he's probably a little unfit and 2 - he got injured v Boro and we have 13 points from 15 since then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He should go straight back in the team if fit. He was one of our better performers before injury.....
  • Options

CHG said:

No room for Stephens then?
    Oops, I read it too fast. Thought Stephens was in there. Yes. He has to play. For me that would be at the expense of Jacko but CP will more likely drop Kerkar and play Jacko LM.