Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lawrie Wilson

edited September 2012 in General Charlton
I know SCP sees Lawrie as a right back but last season he was one of the best right sided midfielders in league 1. We have all seen the step up in class this season, but surely he would have been a better option than Cook or Pritchard for the right sided slot? We need energy in the midfield if we are going to accomodate JJ and Wilson provides this. I understand the thinking about the narrow midfield set up, but this is negating our main assets ie the full backs. We look a threat when they overlap and I would say Wiggins is our most attacking threat when he goes beyond JJ. At the moment they are being left exposed to both attacking full backs and wingers and therefore unable to be our outlet ball.

Hopefully we will see Lawrie in the starting line up soon, but not at RB!

Comments

• Options
    Lawrie
  • Options
    Its Lawrie mate, not mark.
  • Options
    Sorry guys - how do I change it ?
  • Options

In the top right of the first comment you made to create the discussion there is a little cog looking thing, click on that and select edit, then change whatever you want.
  • Options

He would need to contact Deed Poll

• Options
    Cheers A4L, had a senior moment there!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

He would need to contact Deed Poll

Very Good, sir

• Options
    Play Wilson behind green on the right side bet there would be a massive improvement , green wouldnt have to be tracking back all the time because Wilson can hold his own . Wilson would also give green the ball in the attacking half of the pitch rather than having to drop deep all the time to get it. Funny hownobody has a go at Haynes when he plays right or left side for tracking back or jacko come to think of it.wiggins copes ok as a left full back and gets forward.
  • Options
    And drop the POTY Solly?
  • Options
    Plaaayer said:

And drop the POTY Solly?

Exactly what I was thinking. What on earth?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Plaaayer said:

And drop the POTY Solly?

Right sided MIDFIELDER.
  • Options

Play Wilson behind green on the right side bet there would be a massive improvement , green wouldnt have to be tracking back all the time because Wilson can hold his own . Wilson would also give green the ball in the attacking half of the pitch rather than having to drop deep all the time to get it. Funny hownobody has a go at Haynes when he plays right or left side for tracking back or jacko come to think of it.wiggins copes ok as a left full back and gets forward.

You're suggesting going 4-3-3 with Solly, Wilson AND Green? Can't agree with that.
  • Options
    Disappointed to see how many of our fans are not prepared to give him a chance. Just what he needs really.
    Wiggins was truly shocking last night yet got little criticism.
    Its going to be a long hard season and we need to get behind the players.
  • Options
    Simon Francis used to put the odd good delivery into the box.
    Hope I'm wrong ,but what I've seen of him so far suggests the 'step up ' could be a struggle.
  • Options

Disappointed to see how many of our fans are not prepared to give him a chance. Just what he needs really.

This!
  • Options

I was just going to start a thread on this . I would suggest that those that moan about him take the opportunity to take a look at the full game again.

He may not be as good as Solly at RB but he was actually involved in four or five of our best chances last night including setting Fuller up for the games best scoring opportunity and wasn't the worst player by a country mile.

If he were to play in his best position in front of Solly we would have a strong right side going forwards as well as defensively.

He has only played a couple of games for us and deserves a chance. But perhaps some of our fans don't want to afford him that opportunity because, like Green, we've now paid money for a player we released when he was a teenager.
  • Options
    Wiggins likely to be out for a few games now
  • Options
    Thought he was out of his depth last night but it's tough getting your first real game time under those circumstances. I was criticising him in the heat of the disappointment but I will get behind him and give him every chance.
  • Options
    He was embarrassing in defence yesterday but decent going forward. I must say though if he was Next to me when he took that shot with the last kick of the game I would have given him a slap.
  • Options
    I'll be honest, i dont think he can pass for toffee. He kept either choosing the wrong option or hitting it too short/too long.

Saying that, it's a hard game to come into off the bench, so i'll reserve judgment.

People also need to realize Zaha on palace's right is a brilliant talent, he tore apart wiggins and solly on multiple occasions, i for one thought we'd have conceded more had wiggins stayed on - Zaha had the beating of him through sheer pace
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    moleo88 said:

I'll be honest, i dont think he can pass for toffee. He kept either choosing the wrong option or hitting it too short/too long.

Saying that, it's a hard game to come into off the bench, so i'll reserve judgment.

People also need to realize Zaha on palace's right is a brilliant talent, he tore apart wiggins and solly on multiple occasions, i for one thought we'd have conceded more had wiggins stayed on - Zaha had the beating of him through sheer pace

This, zaha is a future Premier league star and will be wearing an England shirt within the next couple of years
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

He was embarrassing in defence yesterday but decent going forward. I must say though if he was Next to me when he took that shot with the last kick of the game I would have given him a slap.

I assume you would also want to give a slap to Stephens who had a shot when BWP was open in front of goal?

• Options
    I thought Wilson showed a lot of eagerness to get involved and was maybe trying a little hard to impress and made mistakes. My main concern with him is his lack of tackling abililty. He seems to prefer trying to jockey the players away rather than putting a tackle in. If he learns to tackle i think he could be a good player for us, but as a defender (which is what he was bought as) you have to be willing to tackle.
  • Options
    He looked a little out of his depth at times, particularly defensively, but he got better as time went on and some of his delivery was very good. His decision making was poor though, definitely needs to step up a bit. Thank God we didn't lose Solly.
  • Options
    I really don't think he was helped by having Pritchard in front of him for most of the match. Quite a few of the passes he tried would have been excellent if only Pritch had been there to actually receive them, and more than once Wilson looked to have two or three Palace on him and no back-up to be found, he would have to be Messi NOT to give the ball away. I'm not saying Pritchard is a bad player mind you, just that he played very badly last night.
  • Options
    Thought he did ok last night, he showed for the ball and also got forward a fair bit
  • Options
    Lawrie Wilson is the new Simon Francis. Aka whipping boy. I thought he had a steady game last night but some people seem to think he's shit even though he's played only a couple of games. For gawd sake, give him a chance. Cheer him on, don't get on his back and break the confidence that he may have.
  • Options
    Didn't rate him last night
  • Options
    He was alright last night, decent league one player having to face Bolasie/Zaha switching over, not exactly a smooth start
  • Options
    I think we need to give the guy a break - he is not a regular first team player and wouldn't have got on the pitch last night were it not for the injury. Let's face it, Charlton can't afford to have players sitting on the bench that are as good, if not better than, the ones on the pitch.